Discussion I remember when Quake2 was the game to play...…..what is the best FPS out right now?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Ever sincw Quake2 it seems like the Quake franchise has crapped out......
Unreal use to be OK......

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I found quake champions to be surprisingly fun, and I've largely tapped out of the multiplayer FPS business.
Overwatch is probably your best bet for a class-based team shooter.
Other than that - the latest CoD has its own battle royale mode that has received good press. Not sure how BFV is. I always found the maps in BF to be too large for my taste. I dont want to run 10mins to get to the action only to get capped and have to do it all over in 20 seconds.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i may be old, but watching Overwatch gameplay gives me epileptic seizures. it's like the visualization of ADHD.
for multiplayer, everyone is playing Fortnight.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Ok lol it's not easy to answer.

First off let me state these incontrivertible facts:
Q3 > Q1 > Q2 > UT

Now;

Between 2012- and 2016 the best fps was BLR, but sadly that game is no more.
QuakeLive or QC are the best classic fps. Reflex Arena is the best arena shooter which should mean the same as "classic fps" but Reflex has CPMA movement while the Quake franchise has instead progressed in dumbing down the movement - which is what was happening with classic fps anyway.

Then you got a whooooooole lot of *new* fps, where it's a first person shooter, but other mechanics outside of move/aim/shoot are a much bigger factor.
There's tactical shooters, where the best is probably Insurgency, mil-sim where ARMA 3 is the king, there's DOTA style shooters with Overwatch and Paladins and a million more, casual shooters with TF and Dirty Bomb and Loadout and even PvZ ..

What matters to make a distinction is what YOU think a perfect fps needs; how low of a ttk, how difficult, how much randomness, how much health matters, how much speed matters, teammates, duel, kill range, pickups, map control, positioning, and so on.
Also consider how good the non-game elements are, such as community or matchmaking.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
for multiplayer action that doesn't require expensive hardware, I run my own Unreal Tournament 1999 server.

That is the best multiplayer game ever. Quake 3 Arena is a cheap imitator at best.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It's ok i still love you even though you are a heretic and a blasphemer (and will thus certainly burn in the eternal, horribly painful flames of hell).

Anyway the point is, no matter if your FPS of choice is UT, Quake, Reflex, Toxxik, as long as it's hardcore and not casual, we're ok.
If your idea of FPS is Halo ... we're not ok.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Quake World (online version of Quake 1) was FAR superior to Quake 2, and had a much longer life span. But Quake 3 will most likely always be the best competitive FPS of all time.

As far as the best FPS today, really not sure. Most current FPS's all suffer from some issue or another.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
UT2004 is the gold standard for arena fps. Quake 3 stopped innovating because quake 4 was a disaster when they farmed it out to raven.
Yeah; i was watching the UT World Championship they had at Unrealcon and .. oh ... no ..

Q4 was a single player campaign cashin because Q3 was so perfect that nobody was buying anything anymore, and id wanted some of that Halo money.
Q3 is still being played worldwide with ranked leaderboards, tournaments, sponsors, commentators, and prizes.

UT is played by 3 guys in india.

Also lol, doubletap dodge to do *anything*, talk about a crap movement system. Unintuitive, yes. Good, no.

Map design in UT got better when the quake players started making community duel maps focused on control, though.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
UT2004 is the gold standard for arena fps. Quake 3 stopped innovating because quake 4 was a disaster when they farmed it out to raven.

There are certainly people that prefer UT's gameplay. But Quake 3 had the better engine, was more widely played by a HUGE margin, and was more of a pure Arena shooter. It was faster paced, and rewarded high skill players (As in, somebody who was highly skilled could run faster, jump farther, etc). And is still played ranked today.

As for Quake 4, it was never a replacement for Quake 3. Quake 4 was single player game.

zink77

Jan 16, 2012
Quake 4 was single player game.

So was quake 1 and quake 2, in ye old days you got both single player + multiplayer in the same box.... before horrible videogame theft began by valve in 2004 with steam. Then the wave of f2p/mmo/always online drm games moving games onto computers inside corporate offices.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Q4 has mp as well.

The thing is that Q1 was *very* successful as a mp game, through Quakeworld; Q2 and Q3 were just id together with their community perfecting the mp game. By Q3 they agreed that the game was perfect; there was no migration from q3->q4 like there were with q1 and q2.

In Q4 they tried adding crouchslide and shooting through portals, two things that were not very well received. Or rather, they were seen as gimmicks that didnt improve over Q3.

You gotta understand that in Q3 the skill ceiling is still going up; if you watch Dreamhack videos from 2010, the gameplay is inferior to those of 2015. Q3 is from 1998.

Q3 never needed to improve - players are still trying to hit the ceiling.

Im sorry to whale on UT but i think the doubletap-based movement was a mistake; the movement system in Q3 is far more complex, making both aim and movement a tradeoff of speed.
(In quake, speed is based on continued acceleration obtained through both strafejumping and view angle; changing angle to aim or jump beat to avoid obstacles affects it, but view angle slowdown can be traded to maintain jump beat. It's not easy.)
Imho CPMA was a mistake, and probably id feels the same; in Champions, movement is different across champions, as if switching between games.

Reactions: Stuka87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
During the free game time i tried some OverWatch and wow i got hooked.I almost bought the game then i guess i managed to find myself bored with it.Maybe lack of unlocks or lack of game modes? Its like playing COD on pc people only play TDM.Better example was me playing BF5 yesterday and non stop stuck on the map Aerodrome on every random queue or map load. You get 8 maps but somehow i found myself getting put on this map time and time again.

I certainly got into gaming late when i say BF4 so far has kept me in. If it means anything outside of BF2 the one game i did enjoy back in the day was UT3 and oh yeah i see someone here saying that one was trash but for me those graphics wow.I got into pc gaming in 2006 quite a bit after the so called glory days.