I received this email from the school today.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
I should higher a chauffeur, haha ... wouldn't that be sweet. I imagine it would be really expensive here.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: potoba
Originally posted by: paulxcook
Originally posted by: OdiN
What the....Michigan is not going to do DL's anymore? What are they going to do with all the residents of the state who's license expires soon? Are they supposed to go apply in some other state and get a license so they can drive in their own? This doesn't seem to make any sense.

That's what I thought. How are people supposed to drive, regardless of what country they're from? Or does this new law only apply to foreign nationals?

read my post

Read mine.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: toolboxolio
Michigan is like the downs kid mom had before you were born that she keeps locked in the basement.
lol :laugh:

I'm from Michigan. :(

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: paulxcook
What the....Michigan is not going to do DL's anymore? What are they going to do with all the residents of the state who's license expires soon? Are they supposed to go apply in some other state and get a license so they can drive in their own? This doesn't seem to make any sense.

That's what I thought. How are people supposed to drive, regardless of what country they're from? Or does this new law only apply to foreign nationals?

read my post

Read mine.

lol, i read yours on the 2nd page (din notice that there was a 3rd page), that's why i thought you needed to read mine. Mine was posted before yours

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I guess you could officially establish residence at a hotel in a neighboring state, and obtain a drivers license there to use in Michigan? Just rent a hotel room or a corporate housing unit for a month, and get a piece of mail sent there or something. I'm sure it will be a pain, but it should work.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Casawi
I should higher a chauffeur, haha ... wouldn't that be sweet. I imagine it would be really expensive here.

You might higher an English tutor as well... ;)

IMO: If you are here legally, you should have the right to apply for a driver's license. If you are not here legally, you should have no rights (other than basic human rights).

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Kadarin

IMO: If you are here legally, you should have the right to apply for a driver's license. If you are not here legally, you should have no rights (other than basic human rights).

its not about being legal anymore. It's about being a permanent resident.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
I guess you could officially establish residence at a hotel in a neighboring state, and obtain a drivers license there to use in Michigan? Just rent a hotel room or a corporate housing unit for a month, and get a piece of mail sent there or something. I'm sure it will be a pain, but it should work.

I can get a license from Florida, the house my dad lives in is in my name and so are the utilities. It should be fine.
I had to do everything for him since he didn't speak English when he moved here

potoba

Oct 17, 2006

I can get a license from Florida, the house my dad lives in is in my name and so are the utilities. It should be fine.

so why are you complaining?

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004

Trust me, I had a few tutors. My first English paper in college had a red note on top that said: "You need to go to the learning center IMMEDIATELY".
It was at a community college, and I was the only foreign there, so he thought I was American and my English stunk that bad.
Some how I still got a better grade than some other native English speaking students tho :shocked:

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004

It so convenient to take days off work and school and fly 200miles to get a Driver's License. I guess I shouldn't complain.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

It so convenient to take days off work and school and fly 200miles to get a Driver's License. I guess I shouldn't complain.

Considering you are a guest here obtaining a higher education in the most desirable country in the world to do so...no, you shouldnt complain.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Considering you are a guest here obtaining a higher education in the most desirable country in the world to do so...no, you shouldnt complain.

Get real dude !

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

I wish I could drive 200 miles from Michigan and get to Florida.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Trust me, I had a few tutors. My first English paper in college had a red note on top that said: "You need to go to the learning center IMMEDIATELY".
It was at a community college, and I was the only foreign there, so he thought I was American and my English stunk that bad.
Some how I still got a better grade than some other native English speaking students tho :shocked:

Not too surprising. While you were trying to learn english, they were just trying to pass the class. Doesnt take an A to pass does it?

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Update: Email from the school.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The overwhelming support by universities, business and the legal community has lead to the amended bill that will continue to allow international students and scholars to apply for original driver?s licenses. Today, the Senate passed unanimously (38 - 0) and the House passed almost unanimously (a handful of no votes) legislation that will make clear that those in Michigan legally are eligible for a Michigan drivers license.

House Bill 4505 will now be transmitted to Governor Granholm. We expect her to sign the legislation tomorrow. Since Monday is President's Day (a state holiday) it is likely the earliest the Secretary of State will be able to begin issuing drivers licenses under the new law will be next Tuesday, February 19.

The passed version of HB 4505 can be found here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/...bjectName=2007-HB-4505

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
If this goes down, I will drive illegally and break every got damn rule until I am deported or whatever they wanna do with me.

with the way you drive that's a bad idea.