I overheated my comp.... HELP!!! PLZ(It's not even o/c'ed)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paladiin

Oct 23, 2001
Wowza Yowza that's hot!

Few things:

- About the case open/case closed thing. If you've got a fan (I mean a room fan) blowing directly into your case, you're going to have more circulation than a closed case. Depending on your setup, having a closed case can be better for cooling than an open case, and you never want to constantly run your computer with an open case anyway, but for testing (especially overheating like this) having the case open with a room fan blowing in will probably reduce the coolest possible testing results in a situation like this.

- 28C is about 83F. Don't know about you, but that's on the warm side for a room temperature. My apartment is about 73F, and at work it's even colder I think. Why do I bring this up? My brother plays upstairs at his townhouse, which gets over 80F and his wife usually won't let him turn on the A/C until it's seriously warm outside. We had similar rigs, and my temps were always cooler than his due to the ambient temperature difference. If the room temp is 28C, I'm expecting the case temp (with the case fan setup you describe) to easily be in the low 30C's, possibly up to 35C. My case temp usually doesn't go over 28C when my system is running at full load. If the room temp really is 28C, your friend is going to have to make some serious adjustments to their case cooling to try to bring the case temp as close to the ambient room temp. 2 case fans at the top of the case (which sounds a lot like the power supply fans by the way) ain't gonna cut it.

- Next, you couldn't pay me enough to put a Retail Heatsink/Fan on my CPU. Your friend needs to invest $20 a get a decent heatsink/fan. I just got a Volcano 11 for my Barton 2500+ for like $25 shipped. Looking for one with a temp sensor might be a good idea - the 70ish C readings seem suspect. There are certainly cheaper out there that would cool better than what your friend is using. Don't skimp on a HSF and expect to get decent cooling. The combination of high case temp and poor HSF may be contributing to this problem.

- I know you mentioned AS3, but just to verify, make sure it was applied properly. While too little/too much thermal paste probably couldn't account for a near 80C reading, it can reduce the efficiency of the cooling.

- Check the BIOS voltage settings. Make sure somehow some voltage setting didn't get accidentally moved around. If the CPU voltage was at 1.9v or higher, or the I/O voltage was at 3.60v, you'd likely see some high temps (along with potentially damaging the computer). Load the defaults just to make sure everything is ok.

- While in the BIOS, verify what the CPU and system temps are. Abit's BIOS can check both of these, and they usually aren't too far off from what I've seen. Use these values to check your system and idle CPU temps.

The 50C temps your friend is getting is what I would expect to see with that kind of cooling setup. I highly suspect that 70C temp is erroneous. Before doing anything else, make sure to check the BIOS temps - and to make sure they aren't 70C.

HoMeZ

Jan 20, 2003
Hey thanks paladiin for your post helped out my friend. Here is the info:
vcore : 1.74
+3.3v : 3.25 v
+5v : 5.08 v
+12v : 12.04v

BIOS temps(all in C):
system 55
surface 49
core 63

paladiin

Oct 23, 2001
As stated above, Abit can give higher than actual temps. Your 51C on Speedfan and 55C on the BIOS for your system temp reflects that.

The big problem I see: 51C-55C for your system temp. That means the air inside the case is 124F-131F. Yow! Talk about a scorcher!

If that is accurate there's a big flashing arrow pointing to your problem. Keep in mind that it would essentially be against the laws of physics for your CPU to be cooler than the air in your case if you are air cooling your CPU. So even at incredibly optimum cooling, your CPU would never be below 51-55C if your system temp was 51-55C.

The other problem it presents is, even with a more efficient and powerful Heatsink/Fan, you're still blowing 55C air onto your CPU. That ain't good. You need to find out why the air in the case is so hot. Here's where I would try cooling the room off (turn on the AC or wait until the evening when its cool and open up a door). Then open the case and stick a room fan to blow right into the case (on MAX). Essentially you want the room temp to = the case temp. That will allow the system temp to be very close to the actual room temp. If you can do this, test and see what your system temp drops down to. It should end up in the 30C range. If your room temp is cool, but you can't get your system temp into the 30's doing this, something is seriously wrong.

Just checked my system temp and room temp for kicks. My room temp is 22.5C. At this temp, my system temp is 26C. This is what you want to try to test. If you can't get your system temp down, there's pretty much no way your CPU temp is going to go down.

ChampionAtTufshop

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
i skipped some of the longer posts n read bits n pieces
fro mwaht i gather, iether you need to add case fans or they are being blocked by dust

just for kicks, take off the side of the case and leave it....

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Originally posted by: HoMeZ
Hey thanks paladiin for your post helped out my friend. Here is the info:
vcore : 1.74
+3.3v : 3.25 v
+5v : 5.08 v
+12v : 12.04v

BIOS temps(all in C):
system 55
surface 49
core 63

I had an Abit BD7-II RAID and it reported abnormally high temps as well, even for board temps. It is nothing to worry about, as it is just a problem with the way Abit figures the temperature. If you want to, you can configure MBM to adjust the temps so they look normal. You may also want to configure your alarms to go off at a higher temperature.