i need something more comfortable than a compact car

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet at all, the Scion xB sure won over old people back in the day.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I've been looking at Suburu for potential to replace or supplement my Trooper for about three years.

They haven't yet produced an all-electric model. I don't even think they have a hybrid model, but I could look again at the offering for 2021.

But since that's an issue for me, seeing now the appearance of the Ford Mustang Mach-E, I would think someone would try to compete with the Mach-E in both price and quality. Since the Suburus sort of follow the crossover design of the Mach-E, you'd think they'd put their iron in the fire during a nearer term, rather than wait until all the other manufacturers are "all in".
There is a PHEV Crosstrek, but it has a very short electric only range and the battery takes away cargo space. I think it is available only in limited areas. Subaru is behind the curve on electrics, but they are working with Toyota on them.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Here ya go Manahan...

Ford-F-150-Raptor-Shelby-3.jpg

Best of all...it's only $128,900!

I'm a Ford truck guy...and that's a bit gaudy for my tastes...

aae.sized.jpg

That's my daily driver.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Ford-F-150-Raptor-Shelby-3.jpg

Best of all...it's only $128,900!

they better have a long bed, dualie and gooseneck hitch option
7G3zITG.png

when i was a kid, everyone in my family had big trucks, and i always wanted one too

but then i realized what trucks cost and what gas costs, so i've been driving cheap tiny hondas ever since

Reactions: Ken g6

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My mother in law has a Rav4. It has more space and is a slight step up, but I feel like the weight of the doors and everything make the vehicle feel cheap for what they cost. There may be better values for interior space vs cost.

When I was looking at spacious sedans for car seats a few years back I was looking at used 2014s and my research showed that Altima and Passat were the largest back seats for the money. Both have quality issues too, but at the time you could get a lot of solid features and space for around $12-14k pretty easily.

Reactions: brianmanahan

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
My mother in law has a Rav4. It has more space and is a slight step up, but I feel like the weight of the doors and everything make the vehicle feel cheap for what they cost. There may be better values for interior space vs cost.

When I was looking at spacious sedans for car seats a few years back I was looking at used 2014s and my research showed that Altima and Passat were the largest back seats for the money. Both have quality issues too, but at the time you could get a lot of solid features and space for around $12-14k pretty easily.
I bought an off lease Altima (2013 model bought in 2016). I didnt have any major problems with it in the 2.5 years that I had it. Several people did remark about how roomy the back seat was.

Unfortunately, it died an untimely death in a confrontation with a metal post. I do think CUVs are in general overpriced and automakers are pushing them because they have higher profit margins than sedans or hatchbacks/wagons.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I bought an off lease Altima (2013 model bought in 2016). I didnt have any major problems with it in the 2.5 years that I had it. Several people did remark about how roomy the back seat was.

Unfortunately, it died an untimely death in a confrontation with a metal post. I do think CUVs are in general overpriced and automakers are pushing them because they have higher profit margins than sedans or hatchbacks/wagons.
I rented a 2013 on a business trip and liked it, but the base model interior was a little cheap feeling. I liked the dashboard, radio, gadgets....I didn't like the feel of the carpet on the door and console arm rests....the pile was too high and felt really cheap. Not sure why they went with that material. My parents have a 2014 that still looks great, but it's falling apart because they're rough on cars.

I rented a Passat...it was the special edition one with the 1.8L turbo charged 4 cylinder. I had it up to 130mph on the interstate....was really fun to drive.