i need something more comfortable than a compact car

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Well, by the time I'm ready, you may have found yourself a used Tesla pickup, or something else. It seems rational for me to just hold it and use it until we're ready for a crossover/SUV replacement. I was thinking, at the earliest, of maybe a 3-year time-horizon. But that's subject to revision.

Ordinarily, I could consider getting into "wheeler-dealer" mode before that, but I don't devote a lot of time and effort in that direction, as my current vehicle strategy would suggest. The truck is basically a small asset-store and backup vehicle. Given what newer used vehicles command in the market, it's a very small asset store, and is mostly our fallback.

How much are they worth? The key factor seems to be the 4-WD aspect. A lot of folks want 4WD in an SUV or a truck and are willing or inclined to find used ones. I'm not exploring this topic with you as a special target audience, but merely as an intellectual speculation. We bought it for the simple sum of $4,000 cash in 2010. It's had new shocks all the way around more recently and since then -- KYB MonoMax. And a new timing belt. New all-terrain tires and a new Optima Deep Cycle Yellow-Top. That's the sum of it.

One repair shop said to "ask for $3,000 firm", and that was two years ago. It might be worth something in a trade-in that's either more or less. Under the changing market circumstances, a lack of chrome wheels which I'd considered for it but dismissed as a practical matter, and the growing time we're just holding it with occasional use, it could go for less. But this isn't -- as I said -- a discussion that you and I are having with a near-term prospect of anything. We're supposed to keep that chatter limited to the proper forum.

We still entertain the possibility of keeping it, but having a truck for the occasional needs one finds for a truck, paying the annual insurance -- there's very little maintenance and no outlays except as I mentioned -- it's a crap shoot for our prospective intentions.

I think we've put less than 5,000 miles on it since we took possession from the mechanic. Ultimately, any and all decisions belong exclusively to my brother. He can be a pain in the ass.
Unless it is a pile ready for the scrap yard (which clearly it is not), you should get minimum $3k for it with zero effort. Trade in? They'll give you $500 as a courtesy. So it is a 4x4 King Cab which adds a lot of value...now if you say it's a V6 the value keeps going up. When the time comes, don't sell yourself short.

Here's one "comparable": https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KV6L8y2x/1996-nissan-pickup-king-cab-xe-4x4

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
If you still buying ICE, check out the 2020/2021 Mazda CX-5.
EV time? Test drive the Tesla Model Y.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Unless it is a pile ready for the scrap yard (which clearly it is not), you should get minimum $3k for it with zero effort. Trade in? They'll give you $500 as a courtesy. So it is a 4x4 King Cab which adds a lot of value...now if you say it's a V6 the value keeps going up. When the time comes, don't sell yourself short.

Here's one "comparable": https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KV6L8y2x/1996-nissan-pickup-king-cab-xe-4x4

That price is on a modded theft recovery vehicle with warts.
Nissan pickups might as well be 911's due to it being a small pickup.
Even the cheapo base models will probably pull in decent $$$$ nowadays.
King Cab + 4x4 + 5spd manual? You are now in fetish territory and you can start wearing a "I know what I have" t-shirt.
Assuming rust is under control (I guess that's just a formality type comment...those trucks came from the factory rusty)

Had much fun in the dunes riding around in a 4x4 4banger + 5spd manual back in the early 90's (prior to Sawzall + lift kit culture destroying trucks left and right).

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Fair point on the warts...but at over 25 years old a minor theft recovery isn't of huge consequence. Bonzai's truck has some warts too so maybe it all evens out.

A coworker has an '82 Z (original owner) that got stolen a few years back but recovered a week later just a touch dirty. Would that deter a potential buyer? Seems unlikely.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Fair point on the warts...but at over 25 years old a minor theft recovery isn't of huge consequence. Bonzai's truck has some warts too so maybe it all evens out.

A coworker has an '82 Z (original owner) that got stolen a few years back but recovered a week later just a touch dirty. Would that deter a potential buyer? Seems unlikely.

100% True.
After a certain age and mileage, stuff like theft or accidents aren't going to matter too much if everything was returned back to normal.
What I was getting at before ending up window shopping for old pickups was that even with those warts an old 4 banger cheapo pickup commanded a decent price.

Also had a co-worker with an 82z way back when.
You need to be REALLY specific on which trim your co-worker had.
Turbo vs non turbo
2+2 vs 2 seater
5spd Manual vs the 3spd slushbox.

Depending on which version, it might have been better off in the thief's hands.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
He still likes it hence he still has it. Non-turbo 5-speed. Not sure on the seating.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
For ease of getting in and getting out: CUV/SUV a bit higher off the ground. (Rav4, Highlander, RX, CRV, Forester, Outback, etc all good options)
For passenger comfort during a long drive: the seats, legroom, hip room, shoulder room tend to matter more IMO.

I used to have a 2008 Subaru Forester, it was higher off the ground, so very easy for my grandma to climb in and out.
But, seats were kinda firm, didnt have very good cushions, and had very limited legroom and hiproom. So, on long road trips, my legs would hurt quite a bit.

I got a used Lexus GS350 Sedan a couple years back, and while its lower to the ground and harder for grandma to climb in or climb out, its MUCH more comfortable. I can drive for hours and hours and am very comfortable, no joint pains from uncomfortable seats at all. (GS350 is similar sized to Avalon, though Avalon i believe has more roomy interior as the GS350 has a pretty substantial transmission tunnel)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Im 5'3"
The RAV 4 suits me just fine.

The Nissan Juke was way too small. I dont know who would want that fucking thing. Maybe Kristen Chenoweth.

But I own a Murano cuz its comfortable.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Im 5'3"
The RAV 4 suits me just fine.

The Nissan Juke was way too small. I dont know who would want that fucking thing. Maybe Kristen Chenoweth.

But I own a Murano cuz its comfortable.

Kristen Chenoweth is still required to sit in a rearward facing car seat
ZFdhEfv.png

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i've been debating going to test drive a subaru forester and outback this weekend...

can get 5 year %0 interest financing on either one of them

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
What you really want is government surplus Ford Police Interceptor:

It's going to need some work, but you'll probably never need to worry about getting pulled over for a speeding ticket again... ever :)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
What you really want is government surplus Ford Police Interceptor:

It's going to need some work, but you'll probably never need to worry about getting pulled over for a speeding ticket again... ever :)
Not really. These newer Fords blend in far too well. The Dodge Charger and Ford Crown Vic had bodies that stood out.

I'm pretty sure they'll wipe the marking before sale so people don't get charged with impersonation of a cop.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
ooh nice

but the turbo trim starts at 35$k
Bu5eQeV.png

not like i can't afford it, but still seems steep. and also takes the MPG down by 3 or so
Sounds about average these days for a new car. RAV4 Prime is selling above MSRP, and within just 10 days of showing up at dealerships.

I'm waiting to see how the Ford Escape PHEV works. It should be under 30K after 6.8K tax credit. (Weird number is based on the size of the PHEV battery.) Otherwise the ~$34K (from memory) Chevy Bolt EUV might be worth looking at if you get state tax credits or new federal credits are passed.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
:mad:

Only because GM stopped making Oldsmobiles. :p
Oldsmobile was indeed a tragic loss.
I myself miss Pontiacs

Mostly from nostalgia as a kid. My uncle always drove a Grand prix. Nothing particularly fast, but, was much faster than the van my folks had, or the station wagon they had before that or grandma's buick.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Oldsmobile was indeed a tragic loss.
I myself miss Pontiacs

Mostly from nostalgia as a kid. My uncle always drove a Grand prix. Nothing particularly fast, but, was much faster than the van my folks had, or the station wagon they had before that or grandma's buick.
There were several Pontiac models that you could drive without shame.

My father was a talented and trained mechanic. The folk story follows that he could "take apart an engine on the kitchen floor and put it back together blind-folded." I might doubt that, but he was my father and he was apparently a good mechanic, until he became an insurance man.

But he chose to buy a brand-new 1956 Pontiac Star-Fire that was the most ugly shade of blue exacerbated by all leather seats of the same blue and a white color. The entire design of that thing was ugly.

I don't know why he did it. In his last profession, he knew how to choose good business suits. But the Star-Fire showed a deplorable lack of good taste.

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
ooh nice

but the turbo trim starts at 35$k
Bu5eQeV.png

not like i can't afford it, but still seems steep. and also takes the MPG down by 3 or so
I am a bit of a Subaru fan, since I have an Impreza. However, if I were going to spend 35k for the Outback turbo, I would seriously consider the CX-5 turbo for about the same price.
Only qualifier is if you prefer the wagon like style and space of the Outback or if you plan to do a fair amount of light off roading. Outback has more ground clearance and probably a more competent and robust AWD system, while the CX-5 has excellent handling on paved roads and a very nice interior.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I am a bit of a Subaru fan, since I have an Impreza. However, if I were going to spend 35k for the Outback turbo, I would seriously consider the CX-5 turbo for about the same price.
Only qualifier is if you prefer the wagon like style and space of the Outback or if you plan to do a fair amount of light off roading. Outback has more ground clearance and probably a more competent and robust AWD system, while the CX-5 has excellent handling on paved roads and a very nice interior.
I've been looking at Suburu for potential to replace or supplement my Trooper for about three years.

They haven't yet produced an all-electric model. I don't even think they have a hybrid model, but I could look again at the offering for 2021.

But since that's an issue for me, seeing now the appearance of the Ford Mustang Mach-E, I would think someone would try to compete with the Mach-E in both price and quality. Since the Suburus sort of follow the crossover design of the Mach-E, you'd think they'd put their iron in the fire during a nearer term, rather than wait until all the other manufacturers are "all in".