I need AWD/decent mileage recommendations...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I confess I really like the way Audis feel and look, but having known a fair number of owners and seen and heard about their various repair fiascos, no way I'd go with one. That and I think I'm done with pricey rides while I live in the north country.

Subaru is in the lead, but now I'm thinking I should wait a little longer, looks like there might be some interesting diesel models coming out, as well as that forester.

They've been saying diesels in the US for Subaru for years now. Everywhere else they sell them, but not here. I wouldn't hold my breath on it coming anytime soon. A hybrid from Subaru is much more likely and heard some rumors about that being revealed, might just be in concept form, soon.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
I will highly recommend the Subaru Legacy with the 4 cylinder and CVT transmission. I know two people who own one and they get in the low 30's mpg with highway driving. So it falls right in line with full size sedan FWD cars like say a Nissan Altima which are supposed to get better fuel economy due to having less drive-train loss. Win/Win.

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
I was able to get 35.7 mpg in my 2013 Subaru Legacy going ~60mph on a recent trip. Overall I'm only averaging around 24.5mpg though, so it's not so great around town. It being winter in Wisconsin probably doesn't help matters.

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
FWIW I had an 06' Lexus IS250awd and could get 35 on the highway if I was easy on the pedal.

55-60 hwy - 35 mpgs
City - 23 mpgs
Interstate 65-80 - 28 mpgs