I need AWD/decent mileage recommendations...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kage69, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Carson Dyle

Carson Dyle Diamond Member

2. Jumpem

Jumpem Lifer

It's a turbo mated to a four speed auto. The four speed auto is what really holds it back.

The 2014 Forester finally has a modern transmission. It will surpass the Outback in fuel economy now as far as the 2.5i models go.

3. Demo24

Demo24 Diamond Member

They've been saying diesels in the US for Subaru for years now. Everywhere else they sell them, but not here. I wouldn't hold my breath on it coming anytime soon. A hybrid from Subaru is much more likely and heard some rumors about that being revealed, might just be in concept form, soon.

4. fstime

fstime Diamond Member

I will highly recommend the Subaru Legacy with the 4 cylinder and CVT transmission. I know two people who own one and they get in the low 30's mpg with highway driving. So it falls right in line with full size sedan FWD cars like say a Nissan Altima which are supposed to get better fuel economy due to having less drive-train loss. Win/Win.

5. slpaulson

slpaulson Diamond Member

I was able to get 35.7 mpg in my 2013 Subaru Legacy going ~60mph on a recent trip. Overall I'm only averaging around 24.5mpg though, so it's not so great around town. It being winter in Wisconsin probably doesn't help matters.

6. Sidekicknichola

Sidekicknichola Senior member

FWIW I had an 06' Lexus IS250awd and could get 35 on the highway if I was easy on the pedal.

55-60 hwy - 35 mpgs
    City - 23 mpgs
    Interstate 65-80 - 28 mpgs