I need AWD/decent mileage recommendations...

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'm curious AT car aficionados, say you're looking for a new ride with AWD that also gets good mpg.

What are the two models you think it would come down to?

It's looking like the Suby Legacy has a performance/price ratio that's hard to beat, or am I mistaken?

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I'm getting an outback for pretty much the same reasons in the next week.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Latest Subaru Outback gets 30mpg and is AWD. Unfortunately it is AWD and is kinda slow.

My wife and I share an Audi A4 Quattro(2010). We regularly get 33+ on the highway which is WAY above the rated mileage. This is on Premium gas though. Also, if we load it up with bikes/Thule cargo carriers and drive up into the mountains...it drops down to mid to high 20's. We drive it pretty gingerly. If I really romp on it...you can certainly make the mileage go down (it is a turbo afterall). The newer Audi's have an 8spd transmission and get even better gas mileage.

The 2013+ 328Xi also gets good gas mileage. I believe this is also on premium.

Probably the best gas mileage is on the Subaru Imprezza (36mpg), but I have heard it is painfully slow and the CVT sucks.

The Mazda CX-5 gets pretty good gas mileage for an SUV in AWD guise. Slow as well...although they are coming out with a sprightlier 2.5L model that only drops 1mpg soon.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
The 328xi f30 is out. Probably best combination of everything. I believe they will be bringing a diesel version of the xi as well later this year

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
Man for used I would get a Toyota Matrix AWD rare but good mpg.

I would say probably the new CRV is going to get a real world 29-30mpg.
Reports are saying the new subaru's are 2-4mpg worse than the EPA ratings :(

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Matrix AWD
Jeep Compass/Patriot
Impreza Outback Legacy
Suzuki SX4 & Kizashi
Nissan Juke

That's pretty much everything under $25K unless you start looking at SUV's like the CRV or Rogue

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Oh also would add. I drove a current gen a4 quattro for 3 years. I don't drive very conservative. Well I drove it like I stole it and half its life it lived in traffic world los Angeles . Averaged 24mpg+ according to computer

Of course it broke a few times and im talking important parts of it....

A used 09 - 10 with say 45-50k miles on it is probably $20k now. .

Last edited:

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I'm going to look at the 2014 Forester at the local car show today. Will probably order one when they show up on dealer lots.

Clump

May 12, 2009
My GF bought a Subaru Legacy with the CVT auto a few months ago. It has just over 2,000 miles on it and consistently gets high 20s MPG mostly running around town. It will get into the 30s on the highway, but that's running near a 55 speed limit. At 70+ it's back to the high 20s.

It's a very nice car. Neither of us has ever owned or even considered a Subaru before. AWD was important to her and led to the purchase. Hers is the middle-grade model and is nicely equipped.

The CVT is an odd beast. It works well, but it's very different from a normal transmission. Under acceleration it holds the engine RPM pretty constant, you don't get the RPM climb/shift/RPM drop of a regular automatic.

The engine seems a bit rough at low speeds and the ride is a bit harsh. I'm really nit picking to come up with those complaints though.

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
The Ford Fusion comes with AWD. I drive a 2010 model and through it was fantastic. Not sure about the MPG.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Trust me when I say 2WD is not an option for me. 2 weeks ago the driveway defeated my 2004 Yukon XL (in 4wd mode) during some bad weather. Had to leave it at the bottom of the hill and hoof it. With groceries. Fuck that noise!

The main road to my place is unpaved as well, a few miles until you hit pavement of the main road. If I could get away with a super efficient 2WD ride for my daily commute, I'd do it, but at my new place here in Northern VT that has a local reputation for getting a lot of snow it would be a complete waste of money.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I honestly hadn't even considered the Matrix but I'm going to go check them out now.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
With good tires, you should be fine with the Yukon. I'd look at a new Impress for high mpg and awd.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
With good tires, you should be fine with the Yukon. I'd look at a new Impress for high mpg and awd.

No interest in keeping the Yukon due to its level of gas consumption. It's got all season good years on it right now, damn near new levels of tread depth. Just don't want to put any more money into it at this point. I have studded snow tires on 2 other rides and the driveway can still slow them down when it's bad out too.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Foresters have never been known for good mileage. I don't know anyone who gets the rated MPG on any model made in the past ten years.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The Ford Fusion comes with AWD. I drive a 2010 model and through it was fantastic. Not sure about the MPG.

If my FWD variant is any indication, it probably won't be that great. :p

The CVT is an odd beast. It works well, but it's very different from a normal transmission. Under acceleration it holds the engine RPM pretty constant, you don't get the RPM climb/shift/RPM drop of a regular automatic.

When it comes to automatics, I actually prefer CVTs over the far more common planetary setups. CVTs use friction-based clutches instead of viscous-based torque converters, which makes them feel a bit more like manuals. You also don't get that annoying jerky nature that you're used to with automatics. It's too bad that Nissan appears to be the only car company that uses the CVT in conjunction with an engine that has some cajones. Although, that's probably because Nissan's CVTs aren't the same as they use rollers instead of a belt, which lets them circumvent the issue that CVTs have always had: the inability to handle higher torque.

I'll admit that at times... I miss my CVT. :(

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Trust me when I say 2WD is not an option for me. 2 weeks ago the driveway defeated my 2004 Yukon XL (in 4wd mode) during some bad weather. Had to leave it at the bottom of the hill and hoof it. With groceries. Fuck that noise!

The main road to my place is unpaved as well, a few miles until you hit pavement of the main road. If I could get away with a super efficient 2WD ride for my daily commute, I'd do it, but at my new place here in Northern VT that has a local reputation for getting a lot of snow it would be a complete waste of money.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I honestly hadn't even considered the Matrix but I'm going to go check them out now.

In this case you want a Subaru. All the other 'awd' systems are significantly inferior to what Subaru offers you at this price point. Unless you step up for certain Audi models, which will be on par as well.

Also, not sure of the budget but volvo xc70's would probably do well there, not going to get amazing mileage though.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
In this case you want a Subaru. All the other 'awd' systems are significantly inferior to what Subaru offers you at this price point. Unless you step up for certain Audi models, which will be on par as well.

Also, not sure of the budget but volvo xc70's would probably do well there, not going to get amazing mileage though.

I confess I really like the way Audis feel and look, but having known a fair number of owners and seen and heard about their various repair fiascos, no way I'd go with one. That and I think I'm done with pricey rides while I live in the north country.

Subaru is in the lead, but now I'm thinking I should wait a little longer, looks like there might be some interesting diesel models coming out, as well as that forester.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Foresters have never been known for good mileage. I don't know anyone who gets the rated MPG on any model made in the past ten years.

It depends on your commute. My Outback was rated 22/29, and I regularly got 30mpg with my old commute consisting mostly of rural 55mph roads and 65mph highways. Now, I get 5mpg less living in suburbia.

Last edited:

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
If my FWD variant is any indication, it probably won't be that great. :p

When it comes to automatics, I actually prefer CVTs over the far more common planetary setups. CVTs use friction-based clutches instead of viscous-based torque converters, which makes them feel a bit more like manuals. You also don't get that annoying jerky nature that you're used to with automatics. It's too bad that Nissan appears to be the only car company that uses the CVT in conjunction with an engine that has some cajones. Although, that's probably because Nissan's CVTs aren't the same as they use rollers instead of a belt, which lets them circumvent the issue that CVTs have always had: the inability to handle higher torque.

I'll admit that at times... I miss my CVT. :(

The 2014 Forester pairs the CVT with 250hp / 258ft lbs. I think it will be fun to drive. Get into boost, and just stay at 4500rpm all the way until 60mph.