i need a few things explained to me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: TheBDB
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Originally posted by: Genesys you can choose to be gay, but you cannot choose to be black. so, its just a bit different than the CRM

This is the fundamental difference here. You believe being gay is a choice. If this were true, why would anyone choose to be gay? The gay people I know don't choose to be gay, they just are. Meaning they were born that way much like black people are born black.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume being gay is a choice. Practicing a certain religion is a choice too. Do you not agree that if we are given the right to practice whatever religion we want, that we should also be given the right to practice whatever sexual lifestyle we want?

You missed Genesys' point completely... Even if someone is not "born" gay, he/she can still choose to be gay. However, being black is never a choice.

I am straight and I could choose to be gay if I wanted to, though I don't think I would like it. I am also white and I could choose to wear black makeup so I would look black. In both cases I am going against what I truly am. People can choose to be gay (its possible but I don't think it happens often) just like black people can choose to wear white makeup (its possible but I don't think it happens often). Discrimination in both cases is wrong.

It would be obvious if a white person was wearing black makeup, but it is impossible to tell if someone was gay or just acting gay.

It doesn't really matter if you choose to be gay against your heterosexual attractions... you're still gay.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
So, you don't think that a person can choose to be gay? They can only choose to engage in a gay relationship.

Essentially yes, that is what I think.

If someone who is straight chooses to engage in a gay relationship, doesn't that make them a homosexual?

Why would someone who is "straight" choose to engage in a "gay" relationship? Perhaps that person is bi-sexual, which then would mean that person isn't actually "straight" now would it?

You're still young to this world Daniel. Someday though you'll realize that physical attraction isn't something that you decide, it just is. As I stated earlier, I didn't choose to be physically attracted to my wife, I just was. After a short while I realized I was also attracted to her personality. None of these things were decided by me and the only decision I actually made was that I wanted to spend my time with her.

Nice to agree with you for a change, corn

I am not totally without redeeming qualities dpm, welcome to the darkside. :D

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Genesys
what exactly is a neocon?

if youre not gay, why do you care so much about "gay rights"?

and since you care so much about "gay rights", why dont you also care for Iraqi freedom?

or to take it one step further, why dont you care for freedom of the oppressed around the world?

What is a neocon? You are.

I'm not gay, and I care about gays. I'm not a woman and I care about women. I'm not a dumbass neocon, but I even care about you. See my point?

I do care about the people of Iraq, and this administration doesn't.

I do care about the oppressed people around the world, and the includes the people of East Timor that we helped kill through military spending to Indonesia, the Kurds in Turkey that we've helped kill via military spending to the turkish government, and I care about both the palestinians and israelis, because they are both being oppressed by themselves. I care about the people of Africa who won't be getting US help for AIDS because of the stupid amendment that won't allow money to be distributed to clinics that also perform and consel for abortions. I care about everyone because I'm a humanitarian.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
So, you don't think that a person can choose to be gay? They can only choose to engage in a gay relationship. If someone who is straight chooses to engage in a gay relationship, doesn't that make them a homosexual?

I've met gays who chose, or pretended, to be straight for a while, due to societal pressure, but I've never met a straight who chose to be gay. Not that that means that its impossible, but based on the people I've met, I don't think that choice is involved. See corn's post again for a very good explanation.

oh, and Corn, don't tell me you are my father! ;)

AAman

Golden Member
May 29, 2001
Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.

Great quote!

People are not born black, black is a culture, and those who identify themselves as 'black'
chose to do so. They may be descended from various groups
from certain parts of Africa, but that is a different concept. They term race itself is biologically meaningless
when applied to 'minorities', and almost never used correctly in the U.S.

oh, I'm considered a borderline Neocon, they have a website from back in the 1990s from a group
that was formed, they are a bit different from those guys in the '50s, can't remember
the link right now though, sorry

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Corn
So, you don't think that a person can choose to be gay? They can only choose to engage in a gay relationship.

Essentially yes, that is what I think.

If someone who is straight chooses to engage in a gay relationship, doesn't that make them a homosexual?

Why would someone who is "straight" choose to engage in a "gay" relationship? Perhaps that person is bi-sexual, which then would mean that person isn't actually "straight" now would it?

You're still young to this world Daniel. Someday though you'll realize that physical attraction isn't something that you decide, it just is. As I stated earlier, I didn't choose to be physically attracted to my wife, I just was. After a short while I realized I was also attracted to her personality. None of these things were decided by me and the only decision I actually made was that I wanted to spend my time with her.

Nice to agree with you for a change, corn

I am not totally without redeeming qualities dpm, welcome to the darkside. :D
There is nothing redeeming about you and dpm's chauvinistic ignorant arrogance. News flash for you boys. It's the female who chooses.
---------------
If you have to ask why people care you will have to peal back the traumatic experiences that broke your heart. Words alone can't heal you. To do that you will have to be crushed so badly by life that you are ready to die.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

First of all, don't give me that "you're still young to this world Daniel" crap. Age is all relative, my friend. I know very well that true physical attraction isn't something that I decide, but that doesn't mean that it can't be decided, or otherwise manipulated.

You can't base moral values on physical attractions.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

First of all, don't give me that "you're still young to this world Daniel" crap. Age is all relative, my friend. I know very well that true physical attraction isn't something that I decide, but that doesn't mean that it can't be decided, or otherwise manipulated.
Really? In that case, kindly explain why attempts to "unlearn" gayness have a higher recidivism rate than crack addiction.

Close, but no cigar. You cannot base physical attraction on moral values since "moral" is always a relative thing and attraction (as Corn pointed out already) just "is".

Your homework is to go talk to a few gay persons and ask them about their experience. I think you'll be surprise to find that they didn't just listen to a lot of Depeche Mode as a kid and decide to then go hit a leather bar.
rolleye.gif

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto

Really? In that case, kindly explain why attempts to "unlearn" gayness have a higher recidivism rate than crack addiction.

Close, but no cigar. You cannot base physical attraction on moral values since "moral" is always a relative thing and attraction (as Corn pointed out already) just "is".

Your homework is to go talk to a few gay persons and ask them about their experience. I think you'll be surprise to find that they didn't just listen to a lot of Depeche Mode as a kid and decide to then go hit a leather bar.
rolleye.gif
Depeche Mode is a Gay Band?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
daniel, why blow smoke out your ass. You have the means to prove your case. Go out tonight to a gay bar, pick up some say and have anal sex with him. Tape your moans and groans of joy and post them so we can hear. I will then start considering the possibility that sexual orientation is a choice. Be sure you get your erection purely by looking at your boyfriend's rear though. No cheating by using some mechanical means to get hard. That would sort of blow the test. Good luck with this endeavor.

And in case you haven't noticed the reason you can imagine others to be so different from you is because your arrogance and a bigotry have separated you from common sense. We are all the same.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
There is nothing redeeming about you and dpm's chauvinistic ignorant arrogance. News flash for you boys. It's the female who chooses.

:D

First of all, don't give me that "you're still young to this world Daniel" crap. Age is all relative, my friend.

Relative to what? Age? Yes, I understand that when you're young you think you know it all. As you gain years and experience you quickly realize how much you didn't understand when you were 18. Been there, done that a long time ago.

However, 20 years later, I do know it all today. :D

I know very well that true physical attraction isn't something that I decide, but that doesn't mean that it can't be decided, or otherwise manipulated.

I doubt it and more accurately put attraction simply can be decided not to be acted upon. Well, maybe someone could chemically alter themselves into a state of catatonia....then those decisions wouldn't be necessary to make....

I didn't, I merely stated a fact that people don't choose whom they are attracted to. Morality dictates the decisions people make.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Golly, if I'm older than Corn maybe he'll suddenly realize how much more I know than he does.

I asked the tortoise what he he knew and he said, 'Lettuce begin with a salad'.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

rolleye.gif

More and more assumptions... I know quite a few homosexuals, some of which are good friends of mine.

Oops... morals wasn't the correct word for me to use, since morals are all relative. What I meant to get across is that right and wrong isn't based on physical attraction.

Attraction just "is" - that's a great definition.
rolleye.gif

"You are imagining that there is something called human nature which will be outraged by what we do and will turn against us. But we create human nature. Men are infinitely malleable."

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
daniel, why blow smoke out your ass. You have the means to prove your case. Go out tonight to a gay bar, pick up some say and have anal sex with him. Tape your moans and groans of joy and post them so we can hear. I will then start considering the possibility that sexual orientation is a choice. Be sure you get your erection purely by looking at your boyfriend's rear though. No cheating by using some mechanical means to get hard. That would sort of blow the test. Good luck with this endeavor.

Translation: You are absolutely correct, Daniel.

And in case you haven't noticed the reason you can imagine others to be so different from you is because your arrogance and a bigotry have separated you from common sense. We are all the same.

I'm not quite sure where this came from or what it is about. People are not all the same, but we are all equal. I don't think I've ever stated otherwise...

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

rolleye.gif

More and more assumptions... I know quite a few homosexuals, some of which are good friends of mine.
Ah....the old "I know plenty of gay people" assertion. You know what? Bullshit. If you really knew anything about gay people, you'd know that most of them spend a good deal of their lives tortured by what is supposed to be "right" and yet being attracted to the same gender. They will often try to have normal hetero relationships in an effort to be "normal" but eventually come to a moment of self-realization and "come out" to themselves and eventually to others. As already pointed out, no one "chooses" that kind of tormented existence. I know that thinking they do helps you rationalize who and what you are, but you're completely wrong.

Feel free to address my question regarding "unlearning" gayness any time you feel like it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

rolleye.gif

I was just going to ask the same thing. One of my favorites. Even if they are I'd still listen to their music. But that is news.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

rolleye.gif

I was just going to ask the same thing. One of my favorites. Even if they are I'd still listen to their music. But that is news.
Hehe....I just grabbed a band name arbitrarily, sorry. I'll use "Erasure" next time. :p

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
LOL daniel, what makes you so fascinated by homosexuality?

You entirely missed moonbeam's point as well, if you can chose to be homosexual or heterosexual. I can safely say you will never go to a gay bar and hook up with a man there unless you feel desire towards that man.

Feel free to prove me wrong, and take lots of pictures. ;)

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

rolleye.gif

Ah....the old "I know plenty of gay people" assertion. You know what? Bullshit. If you really knew anything about gay people, you'd know that most of them spend a good deal of their lives tortured by what is supposed to be "right" and yet being attracted to the same gender. They will often try to have normal hetero relationships in an effort to be "normal" but eventually come to a moment of self-realization and "come out" to themselves and eventually to others. As already pointed out, no one "chooses" that kind of tormented existence. I know that thinking they do helps you rationalize who and what you are, but you're completely wrong.

Feel free to address my question regarding "unlearning" gayness any time you feel like it.

Um... what else am I supposed to say? You told me to go meet some homosexuals, but I am already good friends with a lot of homosexuals. I didn't realize that the truth was now considered "the old "I know plenty of gay people" assertion."

If their excistence is so tormented, perhaps there is something wrong with that type of existance. However, not all gay men are tormented, my friend. There are many happy gay people. After all, homosexuality is all about being happy, now isn't it?

As for your question regarding "unlearning" gayness, there are quite a few testimonies from gay men that have turned straight. So, obvisouly it is possible.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz

You entirely missed moonbeam's point as well, if you can chose to be homosexual or heterosexual. I can safely say you will never go to a gay bar and hook up with a man there unless you feel desire towards that man.

I'm not really fascinated with homosexuality as much as I'm interested in the discussion about it.

Your right, I will never go to a gay bar and hook up with a man... but there are people that will, especially for the right price. They have proven you wrong, and I have no doube that there are lots of pictures, if you so desire ;)

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz

I'm not really fascinated with homosexuality as much as I'm interested in the discussion about it.

Your right, I will never go to a gay bar and hook up with a man... but there are people that will, especially for the right price. They have proven you wrong, and I have no doube that there are lots of pictures, if you so desire ;)

Then it's not really a choice is it? You won't ever do it. Do you finally see the point?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Golly, if I'm older than Corn maybe he'll suddenly realize how much more I know than he does.

I asked the tortoise what he he knew and he said, 'Lettuce begin with a salad'.

I certainly hope you didn't glean your knowledge from that turtle. He had it backward, salad begins with lettuce. :p

Hmmmm, that would explain a great many things. ;)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

rolleye.gif

Um... what else am I supposed to say? You told me to go meet some homosexuals, but I am already good friends with a lot of homosexuals. I didn't realize that the truth was now considered "the old "I know plenty of gay people" assertion."

If their excistence is so tormented, perhaps there is something wrong with that type of existance. However, not all gay men are tormented, my friend. There are many happy gay people. After all, homosexuality is all about being happy, now isn't it?
Keep trying, I'm almost convinced you actually know gay people.
rolleye.gif

As for your question regarding "unlearning" gayness, there are quite a few testimonies from gay men that have turned straight. So, obvisouly it is possible.
Right. Please show me articles from a peer-reviewed journal detailing these conversions. I can't wait.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Corn, since I can't seem to rid my thoughts of petite curly haired brunettes please feed this to one for me. Baby spinach, pecans, crumpled Roquefort cheese, pair slices, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, with Italian herbs (or your favorite salad herbs that make sense here naturally) and a dash of maple syrup to take the edge off the vinegar. You will get a kiss, I think, and that will make me happy. Cause even though a salad doesn't have to start with lettuce, I believe in win win situations. :D
=============
Daniel, become gay before you claim it's a choice. You are not different, (morally superior) to other people, which is the hidden bias and gravitas that sticks you to your stance. You need to feel superior because actually and incorrectly you really feel inferior and worthless inside. Don't expect to know that without a huge effort and intense therapy, but you can learn to smell it in the motives behind what you think and do. Take two simple ones: "Why does this always happen to me. Just my luck!"

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Yes, yes, I'm sure your church group specializes in "unlearning" gay behavior. Please, spare us.
rolleye.gif