I might end up the only guy who didn't go to a single dance in high school

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: hdeck
i didn't go to any dances in high school. i hung out with friends instead. wasting money on girls who are only going to try and out-do other girls is no fun for you or your wallet.

So go with someone who isn't like that. Wow.

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
I never enjoyed regular school dances. I went to more than I'm proud to say I went to. I think I had fun at one during freshman year. I missed my Junior Prom because I was at a national competition for something but my Senior Ball was an absolute blast. It's a night of great times with good friends - it doesn't have to be about boyfriend/girlfriend mumbo jumbo.

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
I never went to a dance through any of school.

Come to think of it, I hated everyone in my high school with the exception of a select few.

And none of them went to any of the dances either.

Damn, I love being a nerd.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I didn't go to any dances when I was in high school. The only one I "went" to was the favorites dance, because I wanted to see if I won "most friendly." I arrived for the announcement and left right after.

edit: Despite that, I enjoy going to clubs now and then with my friends. I don't really enjoy dancing, but it can be fun with the right music and the right people.

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
I never attended one of those either ...always prefered to out to clubs without all the school retards
and probably enjoyed it more

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
I went to one homecoming dance my freshman year in HS. I never went to another HS dance again. I found them to be boring wastes of money. It was easier and more fun to just hang out with friends.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LordJezo
This thread and all of the "prom = teh suck" responses makes me cry at the social situation of people here.
I never went to a school dance, pep rally, or anything like that. I hated anything remotely school related, why on earth would I want to go there after hours?

Yet I still seem to be able to get all the poon a man could want. I guess skipping stupid school functions hasn't hurt my social abilities.

Or maybe I get a lot of chicks because I'm so damn good looking.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Went to my Jr. and Sr. proms...that was it. Jr. prom was good. Sr. prom was meh.

But...I can barely remember it...20 years ago! :Q

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
You can go your whole life saying "that's stupid" or "I didn't really want to do that anyway" and end up missing out on a lot of good stuff.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I went to my senior prom. Left early cause it was rather dull, the food sucked, the music sucked (can we say 2 Britney Spears songs and an N'SYNC song too?), and it was too expensive. That was the only dance I went to throughout ALL of my school journey. And it wasn't worth it. Oh yeah, I guess this could weigh on the decision - I didn't have an official prom date for this. Went by myself. I don't know what taboo that carries with it exactly. I had an unofficial date - her date never showed up; we were friends at least, so that was ok. We did share at least one dance, if I recall right.
After graduation, we did have an all-night senior party at a tennis club then; the place was shut down otherwise. That was fun - good food, good music, great setting (LOTS of space), and it was only $10. Lots of prizes given out too for various events.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Only dance I went to in HS was my senior ball (prom). But, I didn't go to dances in HS because they sucked, no one went. Dances at my HS, with the exception of the prom, were like ghosttowns, no idea why. JR High on the other hand was another thing all together, I was at all the dances then, and they were packed.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
im in that club. i hate dances they are stupid

i dont go to formals at college either. cause its exactoly like HS. id rather chill with my friends then go to them. they all think teh same thing

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
I never attended any social functions during any schooling.

10+ years later I've never regretted it. Ever.

There's your proof that you should go to social functions ;) You will end up like Amish otherwise.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PipBoy

There's your proof that you should go to social functions ;) You will end up like Amish otherwise.

We should all aspire to be a little more like E.Amish.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: PipBoy

We should all aspire to be a little more like E.Amish.

Thanks, man! ;) :beer:

Speaking of Ricci, did you see her on The Daily Show last night? She looks completely different. :(

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Speaking of Ricci, did you see her on The Daily Show last night? She looks completely different. :(
Really? As long as she's still got those big jahoobies on that tiny frame, I'm OK with that. ;)

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Really? As long as she's still got those big jahoobies on that tiny frame, I'm OK with that. ;)

With what she was wearing, they didn't look that big. :( Looks like she's had some work done on her face too.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I didnt have fun at the 2 proms that i went to unless you consider almost stepping on a rattlesnake fun.
Dont worry about it, and if you are worried about it, find a girl, ask and go. Not that hard.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I made it through high school and happily graduated without attending a single dance. Why bother? :confused:

At that point I met a girl from another city, who was still in high school. I got sucked into going to her Home Coming and Prom. What a waste of money and time! That was 25 years ago. Looks like an even bigger waste of money today!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I later married her anyway, despite dragging me through that BS. :)