I love anti-motorcycle people.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So what have we learned here?
People that don't like/are afraid of motorcycles think riding them is crazy. We knew that.
People that ride motorcycles agree that there is some danger involved. We knew that.
Horseback riding is more dangerous than motorcycle riding. We didn't know that.
Small aircraft are more dangerous than motorcycles. We didn't know that.
In conclusion, it seems obvious to me that riding a horse in a small aircraft is a death sentence. So I'm going to play it safe and ride my motorcycle on the street.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
People that don't like/are afraid of motorcycles think riding them is crazy and are very vocal about it for some reason. We knew that.
People that ride motorcycles agree that there is some danger involved. We knew that.
Horseback riding is more dangerous than motorcycle riding. We didn't know that. :biggrin:
Small aircraft are more dangerous than motorcycles. We didn't know that. :biggrin:
In conclusion, it seems obvious to me that riding a horse in a small aircraft is a death sentence. So I'm going to play it safe and ride my motorcycle on the street.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Nice!

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
factor in the limited number of months per yr a bike can be ridden or just by the number of miles driven per fatality, that 17% would likely look MUCH worse.

In 2010 I drove my bike almost 10 months because the weather was good and I was not on the road alone:biggrin: And for the last two years I have put more miles on my bike than my truck....... that may not be the same for everyone but then again it could be more than you think:ninja:

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I started riding bikes at 7 (50cc bike! woo wish i still had it) and had bikes until i was 32. I rode motocross and had street bikes. I had a 80cc on up to 599cc.

Nearly everyone in my family had a bike and most still ride today.

i stopped because it seems there are to many idiots out today. The last few years of rideing i had far more close calls (i have been in 3 street accidents) from people just not paying attention. Yes you can (and should) ride in a way to reduce it.

add in that my health has gone done i just son't think its worht the risk anymore.

though the can-am spyder is tempting me to get back to rideing.

Sounds like you would be great on a Supermoto:biggrin:

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I wasn't sure. You quoted my post so I guess I just assumed you were aiming that at me. :twisted:

No worries. :biggrin:

heh yeah the 'he' wasnt you, I guess the post was directed towards you, but you werent the subject of it :)

last year is the first year I havent put more miles on my bike than my truck :(

guess thats what I get for buying a truck with working AC

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
People that don't like/are afraid of motorcycles think riding them is crazy. We knew that.
Horseback riding is more dangerous than motorcycle riding. We didn't know that.
Small aircraft are more dangerous than motorcycles. We didn't know that.
Shh, keep that quiet or I will never get the ponies on the plane again.
one-trick-pony.jpg

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I think people's perspective is skewed due to the young guys on bike doing dumb things. While riding a bike is a risk, what you do on the bike matters on the magnitude of the risk. On one end you have the 40+ yr old guy who's just enjoying a ride, on the other end you have this guy:

5422070001_large.jpg

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I think people's perspective is skewed due to the young guys on bike doing dumb things. While riding a bike is a risk, what you do on the bike matters on the magnitude of the risk. On one end you have the 40+ yr old guy who's just enjoying a ride, on the other end you have this guy:

5422070001_large.jpg

That pic was taken right before a truck hit him and he burst into flames.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Actually, looking at the numbers for California (we can ride year round here and there are far greater numbers of us who ride) it would seem that you are totally and completely wrong. In fact, it looks much better at only 13% of total fatalities were motorcyclists.

I don't have CA stats, but nationally bikes are only 2.8% of registered vehicles. 13% of fatalities coming from motorcycles in CA, even if assumed CA registration was double the natinal average, is nothing to be proud about.

Reactions: JoeTheDude

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
In 2010 I drove my bike almost 10 months because the weather was good and I was not on the road alone:biggrin: And for the last two years I have put more miles on my bike than my truck....... that may not be the same for everyone but then again it could be more than you think:ninja:

what state do you live in? I live in MN, you aren't riding 10 months a year here

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
what state do you live in? I live in MN, you aren't riding 10 months a year here

S.E. Wisconsin and last year I did ride 10 months out of the year. This year I put the bike in the shop on Nov 21st.... not sure when I will take it out yet.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
Last edited:

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
The upshot was that the use of motorcycles in everyday life improved cognitive faculties, particularly those that relate to memory and spatial reasoning capacity. An added benefit? Participants revealed on questionnaires they filled out at the end of the study that their stress levels had been reduced and their mental state changed for the better.

So why motorcycles? Shouldn’t driving a car should have the same effect as riding a motorcycle?

“There were many studies done on driving cars in the past,” Kawashima said. “A car is a comfortable machine which does not activate our brains. It only happens when going across a railway crossing or when a person jumps in front of us. By using motorcycles more in our life, we can have positive effects on our brains and minds”.

Very interesting read! Maybe if driving cars was more difficult then people would drive with more awareness. It would be interesting to see the same study except comparing people that drive manual vs automatic transmissions. Does the level of involvement, or direct connection with the vehicle increase awareness of the driver?

EDIT: Also, could the level of 'perceived danger' increase the awareness of people driving vehicles? If everyone was driving POS Coffin-on-Wheels (like my MR2) that require defensive driving then maybe the amount of crashes/accidents/fatalities would actually decrease.

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Participants revealed on questionnaires they filled out at the end of the study that their stress levels had been reduced and their mental state changed for the better.

Might be true for those that like to ride but those that fear crashing or getting hit, having to drive a motorcycle would probably raise their stress quite a bit.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Very interesting read! Maybe if driving cars was more difficult then people would drive with more awareness. It would be interesting to see the same study except comparing people that drive manual vs automatic transmissions. Does the level of involvement, or direct connection with the vehicle increase awareness of the driver?

EDIT: Also, could the level of 'perceived danger' increase the awareness of people driving vehicles? If everyone was driving POS Coffin-on-Wheels (like my MR2) that require defensive driving then maybe the amount of crashes/accidents/fatalities would actually decrease.

Driving a manual tranny is like 2nd nature to me, I don't think it requires any extra brain activity. Whenever I drive an automatic I always try to push the clutch pedal in when coming to a stop.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
All I can tell you is that almost every person I know that owned a motorbike either died or had some type of serious accident over the years. One guy even lost a leg.

This is just from my personal experience since the 1980's until today.

Personally, I have zero desire to own one.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
All I can tell you is that almost every person I know that owned a motorbike either died or had some type of serious accident over the years. One guy even lost a leg.

This is just from my personal experience since the 1980's until today.

Personally, I have zero desire to own one.

We're all on borrowed time. I say make the most of it while you're here.

I rode to work yesterday, froze my ass off too... didn't die.

Feb 10, 2000
I am not a motorcyclist but I greatly appreciate the aesthetic of Euro sportbikes of all vintages. When I was in college my friends and I rode bikes regularly and I do see the fun factor - I just don't see it as outweighing the enormous danger, so I choose not to ride a bike. I have no problem with other people doing it (other than those Harley asswipes who pull the baffles out of their pipes so they are crushingly loud - I don't like the sound of Harleys in the first place and the last thing I want is more of that noise).

Reactions: JoeTheDude