I like Joe Biden and Chris Matthews immigration plan

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Wierd. I didnt realize Chris Matthews, Joe Biden, and Obama were Republicans. All have said immigrants should learn English. But damn son, you carry that water like a boss!
N9ice deflection! proves you don`t know what you are talking about!
The republicans want to use the language requirement to put up another barrier for these people......
The issue has nothing to do with Mathews, Biden or Obama! It`s the Republicans who are in charge now....
Please keep on topic....thx

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
"To become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you must pass the naturalization test. At your naturalization interview, you will be required to answer questions about your application and background. You will also take an English and civics test unless you qualify for an exemption or waiver."

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
That's a stretch going back 10 years to cherry pick something that niether Biden or Obama or Mathews have even taken a stand on recently!
Dude p[inch yourself and make sure your awake! Times change and so do people opinions and outlooks!
Keep trolling 10 year old shit!! You have nothing more recent?? hahahahaaa rofl..hahahaaaa

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
"To become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you must pass the naturalization test. At your naturalization interview, you will be required to answer questions about your application and background. You will also take an English and civics test unless you qualify for an exemption or waiver."
no shit Sgt. Obvious!!

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
BTW, it was a filthy deplorable republican, Teddy Roosevelt, who rammed through congress. rofl

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Republicans aren't manufacturing it, the requirement is already there.
Speaking fluent English is not — nor has it ever been — a requirement to become a naturalized citizen in the United States.

According to the United States Citizen and Immigration Services, "A naturalization applicant must only demonstrate an ability to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage," which means that applicants can have "noticeable errors in pronouncing, constructing, spelling, and understanding completely certain words, phrases, and sentences" and still pass. Put quite simply: you don't have to be a native speaker to become an American. Individuals can also receive an exemption from this clause for a variety of reasons, including having lived in the country for a certain span of time and being over a certain age, or having a disability.

key words are -- fluent and ordinary usage!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The most important thing in what Biden said is that we need to find a way to let a lot of undocumented workers get legal, one way or another. It's gone too far & too long to do anything else, like it or not. They're not going away & Stephen Miller's dream of an immigration Gestapo isn't coming true anytime RSN, either. Building a wall won't change any of it.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
N9ice deflection! proves you don`t know what you are talking about!
The republicans want to use the language requirement to put up another barrier for these people......
The issue has nothing to do with Mathews, Biden or Obama! It`s the Republicans who are in charge now....
Please keep on topic....thx
Fucking tool. The topic is what high ranking political figures think about illegal immigration. And I happen to agree with 3 prominent Democrats.

lol

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's still an English requirement .... usually.

Permanent resident status is the usual path to citizenship, which is optional for them. They aren't compelled to become citizens. Speaking English is not a requirement for permanent resident status.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
The most important thing in what Biden said is that we need to find a way to let a lot of undocumented workers get legal, one way or another. It's gone too far & too long to do anything else, like it or not. They're not going away & Stephen Miller's dream of an immigration Gestapo isn't coming true anytime RSN, either. Building a wall won't change any of it.
I thought the US has a system for documenting foreign nationals that wish to visit and reside in the US. Maybe I missed something.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I thought the US has a system for documenting foreign nationals that wish to visit and reside in the US. Maybe I missed something.

It does and it relies on the honesty of the people coming in to correctly register. Guess who didn't bother doing that?

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
It might be a more effective fix if we addressed the reason why people's countries are so horrible that they will leave their motherland, undertake risky journeys, and accept slave-labor levels of pay.

I think drug money plays a huge role in keeping Central and South American governments corrupt. If we ended the war on drugs, we would dry up a lot of that corruption money as well as a lot of the cartel violence caused by that lucrative black market. We wouldn't need to spend money on walls or e-verify or other things that cost a lot but don't deal with underlying issues that are caused by our drug policy.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It might be a more effective fix if we addressed the reason why people's countries are so horrible that they will leave their motherland, undertake risky journeys, and accept slave-labor levels of pay.

I think drug money plays a huge role in keeping Central and South American governments corrupt. If we ended the war on drugs, we would dry up a lot of that corruption money as well as a lot of the cartel violence caused by that lucrative black market. We wouldn't need to spend money on walls or e-verify or other things that cost a lot but don't deal with underlying issues that are caused by our drug policy.

Yea, pretty sure people have brought this up for a while. I've been saying it for 10+ years. The WoD is a huge money pit with repercussions that really impact us in multiple ways.

Our view on drugs needs to change. I'm very supportive of my states (MA) campaign to reduce.drug use / addiction with efforts that change how we view it as taboo.

Personally, I support ending the WoD, abolish the DEA, decriminalize all drugs, fund education and treatment.

I've chosen to discuss the topic with my own kids whenever the opportunity comes up. I give them the real deal,.not all drugs are created equal, some drugs are ok in moderation, others aren't ok at all.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Fucking tool. The topic is what high ranking political figures think about illegal immigration. And I happen to agree with 3 prominent Democrats.

lol

That's swell, maybe you can see now how conservatives and their media outlets have misrepresented Democrats position on immigration for a long time.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Decriminalizing drugs still leaves production & importation in the hands of the cartels. If we want to cut them out then we need to provide alternative legal distribution networks.