I know I will probably be flamed, but what does Pot really do for you?

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
This probably seems like a stupid question to most of you, but I'm serious in my question. A little background on me. I don't smoke cigarettes and have never tried them. My dad was a chain smoker and lit a cigarette with a cigarette until the day he could no longer suck the smoke into his lungs. My dad was also an abusive alcoholic. I saw first hand what an addiction to legal substances can do to a person first hand. I'm not saying I have never drank, I just don't have the desire to, and haven't had any alcohol in over 20 years. I just don't have a desire or need to drink. As far as my addictions, I drink two cups of coffee every morning, and that is about it. The only medication I take is a statin for cholesterol.

I'm not on an anti-pot platform, and I'm not attacking anyone who smokes pot. I just don't understand the desire for Pot. How does Pot make you feel? What does Pot really do for you?

Reactions: paperfist

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Haven't used Pot in 25ish years, but with Legalization coming this October in the Great White North, I'm considering getting some once in awhile. Anyway, the reason why is that it is a pleasant experience. Really stimulates the brain, sometimes to silliness, sometimes to the profound, sometimes to things that seem profound at the time, but are just silly. In many ways it's like watching a Movie/TV, but certainly more debilitating. It takes the edge off and makes mundane tasks more interesting.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
This probably seems like a stupid question to most of you, but I'm serious in my question. A little background on me. I don't smoke cigarettes and have never tried them. My dad was a chain smoker and lit a cigarette with a cigarette until the day he could no longer suck the smoke into his lungs. My dad was also an abusive alcoholic. I saw first hand what an addiction to legal substances can do to a person first hand. I'm not saying I have never drank, I just don't have the desire to, and haven't had any alcohol in over 20 years. I just don't have a desire or need to drink. As far as my addictions, I drink two cups of coffee every morning, and that is about it. The only medication I take is a statin for cholesterol.

I'm not on an anti-pot platform, and I'm not attacking anyone who smokes pot. I just don't understand the desire for Pot. How does Pot make you feel? What does Pot really do for you?

If your fine without it don't bother. If your curious try it. But the only way to find out what it's like is to try it. It won't kill you or make you go psycho. I can tell you it definitely blurs out pain for me and helps me sleep depending on the variety.

I stopped smoking in my late 20s more or less for a while because it was making me feel paranoid for some reason while high, and that's true with a lot of people. But now I have a MD card and for me it serves a purpose. Not like the bong a thongs we had in HS.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
If your fine without it don't bother. If your curious try it. But the only way to find out what it's like is to try it. It won't kill you or make you go psycho. I can tell you it definitely blurs out pain for me and helps me sleep depending on the variety.

I stopped smoking in my late 20s more or less for a while because it was making me feel paranoid for some reason while high, and that's true with a lot of people. But now I have a MD card and for me it serves a purpose. Not like the bong a thongs we had in HS.
I can't try it, that is why I'm asking. My employer does random drug/alcohol screenings, and it would be a fire-able offense.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Makes you think differently, sometimes in a useful way (see: Carl Sagan's writings on smoking pot to allow him to think through theoretical physics problems differently when he would get stuck), sometimes in a useless but fun way (see: typical stoner movies), sometimes in a paranoid and not fun way (again see typical stoner movies). You notice details that you wouldn't otherwise notice, particularly in music, and then you can hear those details again later.

I haven't done it for quite some time because I've held a security clearance for six years. Would probably do it occasionally if it became federally legal and they modify conditions for a clearance.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I can't try it, that is why I'm asking. My employer does random drug/alcohol screenings, and it would be a fire-able offense.

Well that sucks. Well when you retire or find a more reasonable employer you can. So in Ceti Alpha V they have medical marijuana?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I want to give you a proper answer, with both scientific and spiritual meaning, but its far too complicated for what text on a forum permits. Weed can have an incredibly positive effect on your life .. or not. It depends on who you are and if the drug agrees with you. Soon you will be able to try it consequence-free. Advice: you will only need a couple drags. Also, try it when you have no worries, no problems.

Reactions: Thebobo

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
meh...just a couple of puffs on a joint or pipe and I get thunderfucked...I sit in my recliner, staring at the TV, but not actually registering what's on...

No thanks. Not for me. (why was it different back in the 60's? Pot was fun back then.)

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
meh...just a couple of puffs on a joint or pipe and I get thunderfucked...I sit in my recliner, staring at the TV, but not actually registering what's on...

No thanks. Not for me. (why was it different back in the 60's? Pot was fun back then.)
Did knowing that you weren't supposed to smoke it, most or part of the fun?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's alright. I could take it or leave it(usually leave it). Like with anything else, too much is too much. I don't have a problem with weed, and I don't have a problem with people smoking weed, but stoners that think it's cool to smoke all day and anywhere get on my fucking nerves. Work isn't the place for pot unless your biggest responsibility is making sure the broom doesn't fall over.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Couldn't you just imbibe less?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
My wife tried it for the first time last year. She really liked it, said it was better than any anti-anxiety meds she has tried. Later she got the munchies. She would like to do it again but said she won't until I can as well, random screens instant firing. Last time I had any was 18 years ago and it pretty much just made me very mellow and relaxed which was great for winding down from work. But I need it to be declared legal, Texas so probably about the same time the Feds make it legal, and there needs to be an instant drug test that only detects if someone is under the influence at that moment. Until then OSHA and my company will basically say nope.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Allows me to work 90 hours/week w/o killing myself due to stress.

why was it different back in the 60's? Pot was fun back then.

Microdosing is a thing - they make cookies in 5mg THC increments.

Reactions: Thebobo and KMFJD

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Takes the edge off, makes me giggle, enhances music and visual perception and then you just sleep like the dead with no hangover.

Reactions: Ns1

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I haven't done it in nearly 2 decades but damn I do remember how good food tastes while high and then going right to sleep after.

Reactions: Ns1

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I only smoke it to watch tv episodes and movies. A couple bowls in the evening after work is all done and no one to bother me. Makes watching shows more interesting.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I was piping it and eating it,but started smoking joints again.My thoughts where hello my old friend.:pAs has been mentioned,it doesnt agree with some people.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If you decide to try it, don't do the mistake I did. Try it, but at home, alone, or with a friend you trust. My first time trying it was at a party and it caused me a huge anxiety panic attack. I was scared of what I was doing and if I was making a fool of myself and that I'd end up all over Facebook etc because I basically lost track of myself and it was like being in a different world, and I kept blacking out and forgetting what happened seconds ago. We were playing a game and I never knew that it was my turn or who I was after, or who my partner is etc. Was messed up. If I had been at home I think I would have enjoyed it, it had a really calming factor to it, but because I was basically intoxicated in a public setting and trying to keep normal it just turned into an anxiety attack instead of calming me. I could not bail out of that place fast enough. One of the things that does happen is you lose track of time. I swear 1 minute felt like an hour. When I managed to call a cab and they told me 30 minutes I had to set a timer on my phone because I probably would have been calling them every 30 seconds asking where my cab is lol. That was the longest 30 minutes of my life.

And yes, you do get the munchies, it's not a myth. I kept going to the nacho trays at the snack table lol. Though part of that was me trying to keep my cool and try to act casual and not be "noticed". Overall it was a bad experience for me, but only because I was in a public setting. If you're going to do it, do it in the comfort of your own home and you'll be fine. Make sure you have plenty of time off work if you try it. I was high for 3 days. lol.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
If you decide to try it, don't do the mistake I did. Try it, but at home, alone, or with a friend you trust. My first time trying it was at a party and it caused me a huge anxiety panic attack. I was scared of what I was doing and if I was making a fool of myself and that I'd end up all over Facebook etc because I basically lost track of myself and it was like being in a different world, and I kept blacking out and forgetting what happened seconds ago. We were playing a game and I never knew that it was my turn or who I was after, or who my partner is etc. Was messed up. If I had been at home I think I would have enjoyed it, it had a really calming factor to it, but because I was basically intoxicated in a public setting and trying to keep normal it just turned into an anxiety attack instead of calming me. I could not bail out of that place fast enough. One of the things that does happen is you lose track of time. I swear 1 minute felt like an hour. When I managed to call a cab and they told me 30 minutes I had to set a timer on my phone because I probably would have been calling them every 30 seconds asking where my cab is lol. That was the longest 30 minutes of my life.

And yes, you do get the munchies, it's not a myth. I kept going to the nacho trays at the snack table lol. Though part of that was me trying to keep my cool and try to act casual and not be "noticed". Overall it was a bad experience for me, but only because I was in a public setting. If you're going to do it, do it in the comfort of your own home and you'll be fine. Make sure you have plenty of time off work if you try it. I was high for 3 days. lol.

I highly recommend for your first time doing it with a friendly dealer. Preferably someone that your friends or acquaintances know. In my experience they are very good about not overloading someone on their first time and making sure they get enough to enjoy it but not so much they freak out. After all they are looking for a potential customer not to chase someone away. For people in legal states, I don't know maybe do it with someone that is very experienced.