I just want to say how exceptional IBM's technical support is....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Merlyn3D

Platinum Member
Sep 15, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: Looney
But apparently IBM has good support... or good support systems. Sprint Wireless, the company i worked at once, use to have awful CS... literally average wait times of up to 40mins. They went to IBM to get them to fix the problem... and IBM quickly made the response time under 20mins, and then when i worked there, under 5.
And in return SprintPCS gave IBMers a 25% discount on their monthly plans. :thumbsup: The Customer Service from Sprint was still pretty bad when I left them though...

I'm currently a sprint customer (came over from verizon about 1.5 years ago) and the CS has been much much better, and is still improving. For one thing, the max hold time is like 5 minutes now, but 95% of the time if I call them someone picks up in like 30 seconds.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999

Well i definitely had it in a antistatic bag, but also wrapped in bubblewrap (and wrapped well... like 3 layers worth). They needed it to be in a box and not bubblewrap. I've sent such HDDs to WD and Maxtor before without any issue, so i didn't figure i would have had a problem with them.

So you had it in bubblewrap and not in a box? What did you do? Put the bubblewrapped hard drive in an envelope?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: deejayshakur
Lenovo is allowed to use the Thinkpad name for 5 years... we'll see what happens thereafter.

so where are current thinkpads manufactured? i assume lenovo will take all of that over to china, if it isn't there already, correct?
not sure, but Lenovo is global too... not just China...

link

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
i had the same experience w/ apple for my refurb ibook I had. Ok, the call lasted maybe 10 minutes though (general run through script kinda deal). But stuff got to me next day and repaired quickly.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: jonnyGURU

Well i definitely had it in a antistatic bag, but also wrapped in bubblewrap (and wrapped well... like 3 layers worth). They needed it to be in a box and not bubblewrap. I've sent such HDDs to WD and Maxtor before without any issue, so i didn't figure i would have had a problem with them.

So you had it in bubblewrap and not in a box? What did you do? Put the bubblewrapped hard drive in an envelope?

No, it was in a box too... a CDROM box if i recall.

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
Originally posted by: aphex
I don't think i've EVER been this impressed...

My cdrw/dvd combo on my T41 started acting up...

I called their 1-800 number, only 2 numbers to hit until i was routed to tech support in Atlanta, GA... It rang no less than 3 times and i had a live person on the phone...

The entire call lasted all of 3 minutes and i had a new cdrw/dvd drive on the way, shipped overnight for free (without me even asking)

IBM, you seriously just earned a customer for life.
And people STILL don't believe me when I tell them there IS a reason to buy an IBM over a Dell :roll:

My tech support experiences with Dell are about the same. It takes a little longer before I get connected to a rep, but they send me the replacements fast and for free. That said, my next laptop will probably be a Thinkpad. :)

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by: igowerf
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak

I called their 1-800 number, only 2 numbers to hit until i was routed to tech support in Atlanta, GA... It rang no less than 3 times and i had a live person on the phone...

The entire call lasted all of 3 minutes and i had a new cdrw/dvd drive on the way, shipped overnight for free (without me even asking)

And people STILL don't believe me when I tell them there IS a reason to buy an IBM over a Dell :roll:

My tech support experiences with Dell are about the same. It takes a little longer before I get connected to a rep, but they send me the replacements fast and for free. That said, my next laptop will probably be a Thinkpad. :)

I have never used IBM so i wouldnt know but I think dell is pretty good too. While i hate their computers i think their support is actually done well...this of course depends on who you get on the other line.

My mom runs her own business and she needed help setting something up..I forget..but she needed a lot of tech support for it. The guy on the phone was very nice, helped her out a lot, shipped tings right away and everything. The big thing i thought was really cool was that he gave her another number to contact him while he went on vacation if she really needed help. Now thats CS

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
Lenovo is allowed to use the Thinkpad name for 5 years... we'll see what happens thereafter.

so where are current thinkpads manufactured? i assume lenovo will take all of that over to china, if it isn't there already, correct?
not sure, but Lenovo is global too... not just China...

link

now worldwide but before the ibm aquisition

Lenovo has been the number-one PC vendor in China for eight consecutive years. IBM's PC Division, prior to becoming part of Lenovo, was ranked third in the global market.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001

They have been manufactured in Taiwan since at lease 01-02, possibly before...

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999

But that's not China. ;) My R51 was manufactured in China on 09/04. So I'm quite sure Lenovo isn't moving that production anytime soon. :D

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I just waited on hold for the first time (out of about 10 calls) to IBM. I waited about 5 minutes, then hung up. Called back after an hour or so and waited on hold less then 30 seconds. Every other time, they picked up before the hold music even started.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

Well thats precisely the oppositie experience I had w/ HP not more than a week ago. Found that a DVD/CDRW drive on a laptop I bought used won't support burned DVD's (stutters horribly then locks up till I remove it) so I caled HP tech support. Got in thouch with some Indain guy who kept insisting I was his dear friend and recommended that I execute an ISO that belongs to a different drive entirely. Needless to say, $40 later, the problem remains unsolved.

cmv

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
A+ for IBM.

I'm on my third different Thinkpad.

First one had no issues. Second was DOA and they had a replacement shipped and it arrived the next day. Third one was (is) an R51. I wanted the R51 because it has the Radeon 9000 and does 1400x1050 on a 14" LCD. I couldn't find ANY other laptop that could do that. It even does this with a second monitor attached! :D

It had a problem where it would lock up if I moved it too much. IBM and all of the suppliers were out of them, so a replacement wasn't readily available. IBM stayed on top of availability and called me as soon as one was available!

Another time, I spilled on my keyboard. IBM had a fair price on a replacement, but didn't have them in stock. I was given a one week ETA. I gave my CC number and before the week was out I had received the replacement!

A co-worker had a monitor die after a year of use. He called IBM and they gave him the address of a service center that had it fixed... for FREE... by COB that same day!

I LOVE IBM!!!! :D :D :D

I'm with you. At my work we all get IBMs and I have an R51. It is an awesome upgrade from my Inspiron 4000. I used to think the Dell was just fine but no longer... If I go back to school full time I'm going to have to save up for an IBM.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000

No, it was in a box too... a CDROM box if i recall.

I RMA'd quite a few of those 75GXP's. It clearly states in the letter they send you with the shipping label that its not acceptable to warp it in bubblewrap. And if you told them you didn't have the right packaging they would DHL you a box with the fitted foam inserts for free.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000

But that's not China. ;) My R51 was manufactured in China on 09/04. So I'm quite sure Lenovo isn't moving that production anytime soon. :D

they have been built in china for some time, my old T20 was made in mexico, but the T40's I'ved used and my X31 are made in China