I just started playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Wish Granter isn't just a radiation induced hallucination.
You did find the guide and see the true ending, yes?

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
is it possible to turn off the head bobbing thing every time you walk/run? I can't play any longer than 15 minutes at a time without getting a massive headache from "walking"

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
LOL.....I'm still stuck on trying to 'get into the sarcophagus', so I've hung it up for a while and switched to BF42.....

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Originally posted by: mrblotto
LOL.....I'm still stuck on trying to 'get into the sarcophagus', so I've hung it up for a while and switched to BF42.....

Yeah, that part was really hard for me with the snipers and helicopters. I just switched to my pistol and ran, occasionally killing some enemies.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I think I'm going to read the book it was based on, apparently it's different than the game and the movie. The book is called "Roadside Picnic" and it's available for download since it's out of print. Sounds like an interesting read.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Once you get in the sarcophagus it gets gnarly. I loved the high radiation graphic glow effects, sounds and the monolith fire fights..

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Smartazz
I think I'm going to read the book it was based on, apparently it's different than the game and the movie. The book is called "Roadside Picnic" and it's available for download since it's out of print. Sounds like an interesting read.

I read it. It was interesting. Kind of weird and hard to follow, but interesting.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

I read it. It was interesting. Kind of weird and hard to follow, but interesting.

Is it translated well?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex

Is it translated well?

Yeah, it was fine in that respect. its just the story is pretty hard to follow.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: PhatoseAlpha

Don't overestimate your effective range. A pistol is not a sniper rifle, nor is a submachine gun or assault rifle. No amount of skill will make them effective outside their range, which is a few yards at best for a pistol or smg, maybe 20 for a good quality assault rifle. Get closer, then shoot.

I've put a 3 round burst into a coyote at 100 meters with an M16A2. Assault rifles should be good for ranges out to 300m.

This game just sucks. :p

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Originally posted by: CrystalBay
Once you get in the sarcophagus it gets gnarly. I loved the high radiation graphic glow effects, sounds and the monolith fire fights..

I'll have to try again then. I keep wandering around the damn place, all over the 'target' on the map, but dont see anything.......meh. Perhaps my few days away will provide a fresh outlook.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nebor

Don't overestimate your effective range. A pistol is not a sniper rifle, nor is a submachine gun or assault rifle. No amount of skill will make them effective outside their range, which is a few yards at best for a pistol or smg, maybe 20 for a good quality assault rifle. Get closer, then shoot.

I've put a 3 round burst into a coyote at 100 meters with an M16A2. Assault rifles should be good for ranges out to 300m.

With the Stalker suit from the village, 1 grenade, and the silenced hand gun I was able to take out the Military dudes at the bridge. Well, took out a couple, then used an AK from one of them to do the rest.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski

With the Stalker suit from the village, 1 grenade, and the silenced hand gun I was able to take out the Military dudes at the bridge. Well, took out a couple, then used an AK from one of them to do the rest.

Ah, I payed those guys a visit after I got back from Garbage. They didn't stand a chance with my AK and plentiful supply of ammo:). Not to mention the 5 or so frags that I felt were weighing me down.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005

I didn't even attempt to try to kill them, I just paid them.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I didn't even attempt to try to kill them, I just paid them.

"Paid"?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
yes, you can bribe them ... they take payment to cross ... or you can use the tunnel ... OR you can cross to the right of them - there is a passage above them by the wrecked rail cars

while i was negotiating, i stabbed the guy in charge to death and grenaded the other guys
:D

kept the rubles and got some extra goodies

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: apoppin
yes, you can bribe them ... they take payment to cross ... or you can use the tunnel ... OR you can cross to the right of them - there is a passage above them by the wrecked rail cars

while i was negotiating, i stabbed the guy in charge to death and grenaded the other guys
:D

kept the rubles and got some extra goodies

Well, you learn something new everyday. I still won't try, just too cheap when killing them isn't hard and is more fun.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Originally posted by: apoppin
think three dimensionally

up ... above

and

down ... below

Thanx for the tip! I guess I didn't complete one of the missions beforehand. After monkeying about some on minor missions, I went back and lo and behold, a whole other area to play! Just finished it a couple nights ago.......the going gets tough thats for sure!

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Miklebud
Yup, the game definitely is a bit of a challenge in the first areas with limited weapons and ammo. But once you get the hang of things and pick up better weapons, the game is a blast!

One thing I overlooked was the "Quick Med pack" ( [ ) and "Quick Bandage" ( ] ) buttons. They sure help when you're bleeding on the run.

Quicksave is your friend!

I had no idea those buttons where there. That could have help me a whole lot. And yeah this game is extremely difficult. I am more used to COD2 action so this is a real challenge. Is there a Vodka shortkey?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Can your money be used in trades? Doesn't look like it.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
yes ... you can buy goods and guns
-if your "trade" is not even, rubles make the difference ... or you can just buy stuff outright.

how far along are you?