I just found out Best Buy charges a restocking fee on returns!

jkats

Dec 30, 2003
I bought a Canon SD300 digital camera two weeks ago, thinking I could return it if necessary. I'm so use to returning stuff at Fry's that I did not even think to check if they charged a restocking fee. Imagine my surprise last night when I looked at the receipt and realized they charge a 15% restocking fee!

Don't get me wrong, the SD300 is a nice camera, but I found out I could save about $35 buying it elsewhere. Best Buy sucks!

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: jkats
I bought a Canon SD300 digital camera two weeks ago, thinking I could return it if necessary. I'm so use to returning stuff at Fry's that I did not even think to check if they charged a restocking fee. Imagine my surprise last night when I looked at the receipt and realized they charge a 15% restocking fee!

Don't get me wrong, the SD300 is a nice camera, but I found out I could save about $35 buying it elsewhere. Best Buy sucks!

its time to take the lawwwwwwwwwrrrrrr in your own hands.

bobbybe01

Banned
May 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ncircle

its time to take the lawwwwwwwwwrrrrrr in your own hands.

:roll: For some reason that made me laugh!

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
They only charge restocking fees on certain items like notebook computers, digital cameras and radar detectors. This is probably because of some people abusing the system by buying one of these items, using it for a vacation or something then returning it.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Don't get me wrong, the SD300 is a nice camera, but I found out I could save about $35 buying it elsewhere.

Why didnt you just pricematch it at bestbuy if you found it somewhere else cheaper????

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: miri
They only charge restocking fees on certain items like notebook computers, digital cameras and radar detectors. This is probably because of some people abusing the system by buying one of these items, using it for a vacation or something then returning it.

More stores are doing this. I saw a story a month or two ago about clothing stores (Express, etc) that use companies to track returns. If someone has returned too much or it's outside what they consider reasonable, they will refuse to accept the return.

You know how women are...they'll buy 10 pieces of clothes, take them home and look at their mirror to decide which one to keep.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Not on everything, but certainly on digicams and video cameras. And frankly, for good reason - people had a tendency to 'rent' them from the store for a weekend or so before making a return.

Caveat emptor. Read the return policy and/or your receipt.

jkats

Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
How much did it cost originally and so how much was the restocking fee?

I paid $399, so restocking is almost $60! However, I don't really care about the original price because I can price-match using my Amex Starwood card. However, living in CA, I paid $33 in taxes! If I buy online and get free shipping/no tax, then pricematch to the lowest price, I will save the $33 in tax. Guess I should've thought of that before I bought it at BB!

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
How much did it cost originally and so how much was the restocking fee?

I paid $399, so restocking is almost $60! However, I don't really care about the original price because I can price-match using my Amex Starwood card. However, living in CA, I paid $33 in taxes! If I buy online and get free shipping/no tax, then pricematch to the lowest price, I will save the $33 in tax. Guess I should've thought of that before I bought it at BB!

Just remember, just because a merchant doesn't charge you sales tax doesn't mean you aren't responsible for paying it. Most states now have a line item where you report the "use tax".

New York went after the smokers, but your state could come after you next!

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
maybe you should pay more attention when you are buying stuff

or just stop buying stuff, that would work too

jkats

Dec 30, 2003
<in response to the last few posts...> you guys are heartless!

All right, all right - it was a bonehead move on my part. I guess you live and learn!

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
:heart:less? we can't give you the money back

what do you want us to do?

you are like my wife, complaining like there is something i can do about your mistake :roll: