Question I have lost 2 x 5600g in a span of 2 months.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I swear there is something seriously wrong with the 5600G.
I built both machines.

CPU's came sealed.
First cpu died in 3 weeks from my niece gaming on it probably 6 hours every day.
Second cpu died from my Cousin watching movies a little under 2 months.
Both systems were built near the same time as each other... maybe a week apart.
Both CPU's were not overclocked... setting set to AUTO. (is AUTO killing them?)
Both CPU's were on B550 chipset... (should i have used a X570 or a A520)
Both Systems had 32GB of DDR4 ram @ 3600mhz in XMP mode. (1.35V)
Both CPU's were on Aftermarket Noctua / Bequiet Coolers... no stock cooling here.

Both people reported before the system died, they had display port connection issues.

Did i win/lose majorly in a silicone lottery?
Or can someone tell me where i messed up?

Its only the 5600G also, i have built a few Ryzen systems from 1800X, 2700, 3600, 5700X, and 5900X.
I am wondering if the IGP on the 5000 series, is fragile.

But yes i am 100% sure the CPU is dead.
It will post go into bios, but when it goes to load windows, it freezes.
I can't even do a reformat on the OS, as the systems won't go past post.

Dropped in a different CPU, and system behave's normally.
I have now made is manditory for me to have a spare 3600 laying around incase those 2 come back after getting RMA'd.

But just a heads up, as i know a IGP's are a thing now with dedicated gpu prices being expensive.

Last edited:

therealmongo

Jul 5, 2019
As already suggested, you should see if you can run off a OS installed on a USB, such as a Ubuntu install. There are even Windows installs that can be run off a USB. Also you should check if you can run memtest off a USB?

Regarding the CPU being from a bad batch, it's possible. I would not rule out the CPUs having been abused by somone else, FYI, its very easy to remove a CPU from the AMD box without breaking the seal, not going to give details here.

If these are purchased from Amazon then I would not rule it out. We know that there are peeps who buy these in bulk, bin them with abusive voltages, then send them back "sealed".

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Amazingly i recieved the RMA right after i mailed out the CPU.
Threw it in the new system and its booting up fine.

So no its not the board, its not the ram, it was most definitely the CPU as the new replacement from AMD direct is running fine.
Have to give props to AMD RMA, they are fast, or knew there was an issue with some 5600G's.

Anyhow....
My angle of attack at the new processor is:

Vcore = Hard set to 1.15 - this way the absolute max will be capped at 1.15V
VSOC = Hard set to 1.15 She has no Radeon 6000 series GPU so i don't need SAM. When she does i can address that later.
CPU Ratio - Auto as i want it to downvolt and boost normally when needed.
DRAM = 1.35 XMP1 profile enabled.

Going to throw everything else at min values and stress test the machine from there as its not an overclocked machine, but a simple gaming machine.
I am not going to set anything on auto unless absolutely required.

The machine is prime95 running right now with those settings, chugging along.
If the machine validates, i will probably set my nieces machine to the same settings.

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
VSOC = Hard set to 1.15 She has no Radeon 6000 series GPU so i don't need SAM. When she does i can address that later.

You are aware SAM works for the IGP too? No reason to not enable if you're running the IGP.

Even my "old" Athlon 200GE has full IGP SAM support. A nice bonus, I didn't expect that.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You are aware SAM works for the IGP too? No reason to not enable if you're running the IGP.

Even my "old" Athlon 200GE has full IGP SAM support. A nice bonus, I didn't expect that.

ugh i was not aware of that because i thought it addressed ram on a dedicated card...

So i should pump SOC to 1.2 then and revalidate?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
ugh i was not aware of that because i thought it addressed ram on a dedicated card...

So i should pump SOC to 1.2 then and revalidate?

It's a PCIe feature. So doesn't have anything directly to do with the GPU. Only the interconnect and addressing space. I would welcome some extensive testing on AMD IGPs, but I don't think anyone does that, and I don't really have the time myself unfortunately.

It works at stock on both my boards* which have SAM capable GPU/IGP. There doesn't seem to be any ill effects on stability on my end.

*ASUS A320M-K and B450-E

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So some updates... things are working very good.
However i have decided to return the 5600G that was replaced by AMAZON to a 5600X.
Amazingly they accepted the return as the replacement has a 30 day Free Return window.
I then ordered a 5600X to replace the 5600G.

Another stroke of luck on my niece, I was able to secure a EVGA 1660 Super from notification of instock for an amazing price of 234.99
This one here:
Of course her father immediately said yes when i offered it to him, otherwise it would of gone in my mining rig.
At least i know this one won't be flipped to a miner like my 3070 did which my other cousin took, as i reminded him if he flipped this like our cousin did, i would NEVER sell him another GPU PERIOD, not to mention his daughters PC would not work, as the 5600X has no IGP.
So my niece will get it and a 5600X cpu.

Her father will take this 5600G i got from AMD, and i will hard cap its settings, however he refuses to give me back my 3600 and W4100, despite how pitiful it does in gaming.
I am guessing it feels faster because the 5600G does not have pci-e 4.0 lanes, while the 3600 does hence making the nVME a bit more snappier.

Well if he doesn't want it, i guess i can just keep the 5600G as it is the first RMA CPU from Manufactory direct that i have ever gotten, so i can sort of keep it as a memento and for debugging purposes.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Late to the party, was gonna say sounds like degradation from volting the piss out of the processor and was going to suggest locking the volts within known acceptable parameters instead of letting the motherboard do it.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Well if he doesn't want it, i guess i can just keep the 5600G as it is the first RMA CPU from Manufactory direct that i have ever gotten, so i can sort of keep it as a memento and for debugging purposes.
Is this "direct from AMD" CPU different in any way? Packaging? Serial number? Latest stepping?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Is this "direct from AMD" CPU different in any way? Packaging? Serial number? Latest stepping?

yeah came in standard retail box.
Serial number is different batch... i think the first one was like 9K, while this is 9Q i think, i would need to look at it again, but i know the first number is same but the second letter is different.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I traded my last one away in a build to a friend for a semi auto shotgun and a pump shotgun. My 5700G is still humming along with the ARC 750LE. Had to disable the Vega iGPU as it did not play nice with the Intel card.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Hmm, this doesn't make me happy as I was thinking of running a server with a 5600g or 5700g, likely in a asus tuf b450 mobo. Just to not have to put a gpu in it and free up pci-e space for networking and m.2 cards.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I suppose but I already have the ddr4 ram and mobo.
If the 3yr warranty and fact I've never had a problem with multiple 5000 series. Or the fact the 5000 series APUs are in millions of OEM desktop, mobile, and mini configs, doesn't put your mind at rest, then I don't know what to tell you. ;)

For what you are looking to do you could use the 3400G. Unless your board bios still includes the OG Zen 2000. I have a Ryzen pro 2400G in an ASRock deskmini that makes light work of multimedia and daily driver stuff. They go for $30-35 on Ebay because they are not windows 11 compliant. I've run 11 pro on it anyways, there are many methods for doing so. You probably knew that. Just saying for readers that didn't. Now it has Holo.iso on it. I need to throw ChimeraOS on there next to play with.

Anyways, you can always set up the UEFI manually so the board isn't overjuicing the APU if that is a worry.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hmm, this doesn't make me happy as I was thinking of running a server with a 5600g or 5700g, likely in a asus tuf b450 mobo. Just to not have to put a gpu in it and free up pci-e space for networking and m.2 cards.

Just don't leave anything on AUTO even in stock clocks.
Hard set every voltage to what it just needs, and you probably wont have issues.

I really think my board killed it, because ASUS loves to go voltage trippy and no one at AMD really told ASUS what was not considered safe.

The 5600X is chugging long happy in my nieces system.

And the 3600 is running like a champ in my cousin's system, which btw he did not give back hence why i traded up later on for the 5800X3D.

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Just don't leave anything on AUTO even in stock clocks.
Hard set every voltage to what it just needs, and you probably wont have issues.

I really think my board killed it, because ASUS loves to go voltage trippy and no one at AMD really told ASUS what was not considered safe.

The 5600X is chugging long happy in my nieces system.

And the 3600 is running like a champ in my cousin's system, which btw he did not give back hence why i traded up later on for the 5800X3D.
Did you turn off 'gamer mode' in the motherboard bios? I think every manufacturer has something like that even in their basic models to get better benchmark results.

What do you men by "hard set every voltage to what it just needs". Unless it a max voltage setting, I don't want to change any voltage settings because they tend to mess up power saving/temps.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The out of box settings/voltages on the OG MSI B450 Tomahawk I had the 5600G paired with, were more aggressive than when I turned on game mode. The real kicker was that game mode had it running 4.7GHz with power saving features active. While the OOB settings had it at default boost. Needless to say I left it on game boost.

I have my 5700G in ECO with +200MHz boost, it keeps on keeping on. It's in a B450 ITX that doesn't have a game mode toggle in the UEFI.