Question I have lost 2 x 5600g in a span of 2 months.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I swear there is something seriously wrong with the 5600G.
I built both machines.

CPU's came sealed.
First cpu died in 3 weeks from my niece gaming on it probably 6 hours every day.
Second cpu died from my Cousin watching movies a little under 2 months.
Both systems were built near the same time as each other... maybe a week apart.
Both CPU's were not overclocked... setting set to AUTO. (is AUTO killing them?)
Both CPU's were on B550 chipset... (should i have used a X570 or a A520)
Both Systems had 32GB of DDR4 ram @ 3600mhz in XMP mode. (1.35V)
Both CPU's were on Aftermarket Noctua / Bequiet Coolers... no stock cooling here.

Both people reported before the system died, they had display port connection issues.

Did i win/lose majorly in a silicone lottery?
Or can someone tell me where i messed up?

Its only the 5600G also, i have built a few Ryzen systems from 1800X, 2700, 3600, 5700X, and 5900X.
I am wondering if the IGP on the 5000 series, is fragile.

But yes i am 100% sure the CPU is dead.
It will post go into bios, but when it goes to load windows, it freezes.
I can't even do a reformat on the OS, as the systems won't go past post.

Dropped in a different CPU, and system behave's normally.
I have now made is manditory for me to have a spare 3600 laying around incase those 2 come back after getting RMA'd.

But just a heads up, as i know a IGP's are a thing now with dedicated gpu prices being expensive.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I thought game mode was to turn off the extra CVS.
I don't know my friend. I'm relating practical hands on experience, that's all.

Check out this Time Spy info for the CPU. That temp is with a wraith prism in silent mode IIRC.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26642278

After toggling the game mode on in the UEFI HWiNFO voltages and temps all dropped from the MSI OOB settings.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Kinda delighted with the following bit:
Technically you are not "on your own" but have to "ask the support" (by Nvidia in this case, for its closed source driver) like it's customary for closed source Windows friends. I'd guess much fewer people would use Windows if they were told they are "on their own" instead the usual "just ask the support" (or any poor sod voluntarily posing as such).

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I traded my last one away in a build to a friend for a semi auto shotgun and a pump shotgun. My 5700G is still humming along with the ARC 750LE. Had to disable the Vega iGPU as it did not play nice with the Intel card.
That seems like quite the trade. I figure a used 5600G is worth around $100, which seems like a very cheap price for 2 shotguns. I guess it would depend on the condition and models though.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That seems like quite the trade. I figure a used 5600G is worth around $100, which seems like a very cheap price for 2 shotguns. I guess it would depend on the condition and models though.
It was a complete NZXT H500 based build minus a GPU. I gave him a RX 6600 later because I felt bad about the disparity in value.

Reactions: Shmee

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007

I had to re-read that too.

I traded my last one away in a build

Who knows how much that build cost? It still sounds like a pretty good deal though.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
What do you men by "hard set every voltage to what it just needs". Unless it a max voltage setting, I don't want to change any voltage settings because they tend to mess up power saving/temps.

It means to lock in voltages and not leave things on AUTO if its for the CPU.
And if your more experienced, even downvolting the CPU would be more preferable, but that would require several hours of stress testing to make sure your voltages were adaqaute.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I had to re-read that too.

Who knows how much that build cost? It still sounds like a pretty good deal though.
Hot deals, for sale/for trade forums + heatware FTW my friend. I paid like $50 for the case, $85 for the B450 Tomahawk, $65 ram, NVME was free from a client upgrade, SATA SSD was $40? PSU was an EVGA 650 gold modular B Stock for $50 shipped on one of their sales. I don't remember what I paid for the 5600G, but it wasn't MSRP. Maybe $200? at the time. The RX 6600 I gave him I paid $125. We were both happy so it's all good.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
It means to lock in voltages and not leave things on AUTO if its for the CPU.
And if your more experienced, even downvolting the CPU would be more preferable, but that would require several hours of stress testing to make sure your voltages were adaqaute.

Don't think I know enough how to undervolt cpus nowadays, everythings so complicated now. I've only undervolted the ram and reduced the PPT/TDC but I didn't really check to see whether there was a difference in temps. No idea if the cpu even followed the mb bios settings, don't have ryzen master installed because I was afraid that it might screw things up.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry, seizure. Thought it came out kinda humorous.

Though, all I did was rapidly and repeatedly swipe downward on the Android keyboard, so perhaps what resulted is more of an Android AI "fever dream" than anything I intentionally tried to come up with.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Move on to the AMD 8000G series! Has better everything and is the same price as the 5600G a year ago or is that 2 years ago in the 8600G!