Question I have lost 2 x 5600g in a span of 2 months.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I swear there is something seriously wrong with the 5600G.
I built both machines.

CPU's came sealed.
First cpu died in 3 weeks from my niece gaming on it probably 6 hours every day.
Second cpu died from my Cousin watching movies a little under 2 months.
Both systems were built near the same time as each other... maybe a week apart.
Both CPU's were not overclocked... setting set to AUTO. (is AUTO killing them?)
Both CPU's were on B550 chipset... (should i have used a X570 or a A520)
Both Systems had 32GB of DDR4 ram @ 3600mhz in XMP mode. (1.35V)
Both CPU's were on Aftermarket Noctua / Bequiet Coolers... no stock cooling here.

Both people reported before the system died, they had display port connection issues.

Did i win/lose majorly in a silicone lottery?
Or can someone tell me where i messed up?

Its only the 5600G also, i have built a few Ryzen systems from 1800X, 2700, 3600, 5700X, and 5900X.
I am wondering if the IGP on the 5000 series, is fragile.

But yes i am 100% sure the CPU is dead.
It will post go into bios, but when it goes to load windows, it freezes.
I can't even do a reformat on the OS, as the systems won't go past post.

Dropped in a different CPU, and system behave's normally.
I have now made is manditory for me to have a spare 3600 laying around incase those 2 come back after getting RMA'd.

But just a heads up, as i know a IGP's are a thing now with dedicated gpu prices being expensive.

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I swear there is something seriously wrong with the 5600G.
I built both machines.

CPU's came sealed.
First cpu died in 3 weeks from my niece gaming on it probably 6 hours every day.
Second cpu died from my Cousin watching movies a little under 2 months.
Both systems were built near the same time as each other... maybe a week apart.
Both CPU's were not overclocked... setting set to AUTO. (is AUTO killing them?)
Both CPU's were on B550 chipset... (should i have used a X570 or a A520)
Both Systems had 32GB of DDR4 ram @ 3600mhz in XMP mode. (1.35V)
Both CPU's were on Aftermarket Noctua / Bequiet Coolers... no stock cooling here.

Both people reported before the system died, they had display port connection issues.

Did i win/lose majorly in a silicone lottery?
Or can someone tell me where i messed up?

Its only the 5600G also, i have built a few Ryzen systems from 1800X, 2700, 3600, 5700X, and 5900X.
I am wondering if the IGP on the 5000 series, is fragile.

But yes i am 100% sure the CPU is dead.

Dropped in a different CPU, and system behave's normally.
I have now made is manditory for me to have a spare 3600 laying around incase those 2 come back after getting RMA'd.

But just a heads up, as i know a IGP's are a thing now with dedicated gpu prices being expensive.
This reminds me of a user review that stuck in my memory.

He claimed that AMD APUs were a bit flaky. It happened to him. Failures rates were higher than normal during the first few months, based on his own (non scientific) investigation but if you got through this period they would work well for a long time. He was recommending it but warning what might happen.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
most likely just bad luck

Be sure to use to much non-conductive heatsink paste. The more the better:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
This reminds me of a user review that stuck in my memory.

He claimed that AMD APUs were a bit flaky. It happened to him. Failures rates were higher than normal during the first few months, based on his own (non scientific) investigation but if you got through this period they would work well for a long time. He was recommending it but warning what might happen.

I hope so... the first RMA has been going OK for about 2 weeks now.
The second one i am waiting for a RMA from AMD, as i am outside the amazon return / replacement window.

But if i lose one more, i do not think i can ever recommend a APU from AMD.
I may just end up giving him the 3600 and having him drop in a W4100 since he is not a gamer, or loan him a 1060 i have in my mining rig, until the intel GPU releases, and see how prices on those are.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I hope so... the first RMA has been going OK for about 2 weeks now.
The second one i am waiting for a RMA from AMD, as i am outside the amazon return / replacement window.

But if i lose one more, i do not think i can ever recommend a APU from AMD.
I may just end up giving him the 3600 and having him drop in a W4100 since he is not a gamer, or loan him a 1060 i have in my mining rig, until the intel GPU releases, and see how prices on those are.
It was with the 5xxx series APUs that he noticed this. Will be interesting over time to see if this is really happening. Do an update to this thread in few months.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Just curious, are you using the cooler that comes with the CPU or something else? I'm using a Scythe Fuma 2 with a 5600g and it doesn't hardly even get warm. I've not had any issues running Auto with XMP @3600Mhz. I built this system for my girlfriend maybe 2-3 months ago.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Just curious, are you using the cooler that comes with the CPU or something else? I'm using a Scythe Fuma 2 with a 5600g and it doesn't hardly even get warm. I've not had any issues running Auto with XMP @3600Mhz. I built this system for my girlfriend maybe 2-3 months ago.

Gaming system 1, niece's is on a Noctua D15 + chromax white casing...
Casual system 2, was on a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4.

Systems do not get warm at all.... which has me stumped....

Giggy board(s)? Checked that they weren't automatically over-volting Vsoc?

Both boards are ASUS STRIX B550-A

I am sort of regretting not building it out of a TaiChi on the casual system.
The gaming system i was left with little to no choice as she requested a snow white build.

But they are father and daughter, wanted to keep boards the same and simple....

Reactions: Leeea

dr1337

May 25, 2020
This was an issue I had with my 5600x on my asrock b550 before I updated the bios, and this was a build done probably two weeks after launch. Both boards being the same is extremely suspect, maybe asus has a bios reverting tool and now you're running an outdated agesa on both boards? Either way I really wouldn't be so quick to blame the CPUs themselves, Ive had more motherboard problems in my life (especially on intel cpus) than I can remember, but I can remember literally never killing a CPU. Unrelated really but one time I even dumped a cup of water into my computer and somehow only killed the motherboard, the 2700k in it still lives on to this day in my friends rig.

Did you ever try the 5600g in a different mobo? The 3600 working really points towards my bios theory which I do think is a bit odd.

Last edited:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
This was an issue I had with my 5600x on my asrock b550 before I updated the bios, and this was a build done probably two weeks after launch. Both boards being the same is extremely suspect, maybe asus has a bios reverting tool and now you're running an outdated agesa on both boards? Either way I really wouldn't be so quick to blame the CPUs themselves, Ive had more motherboard problems in my life (especially on intel cpus) than I can remember, but I can remember literally never killing a CPU. Unrelated really but one time I even dumped a cup of water into my computer and somehow only killed the motherboard, the 2700k in it still lives on to this day in my friends rig.

Did you ever try the 5600g in a different mobo? The 3600 working really points towards my bios theory which I do think is a bit odd.

For now, it appears that 1.2.0.3c is the latest stable AGESA code until AGESA 1.2.0.6b patches arrive which should hopefully fix all these problems.

Looks like there may be a a BIOS issue floating around.

AMD needs to be better then that.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

of course... I have tried different boards, i have tried different ram, threw on different nVME's incase PCI-E 4.0 was messing something up, i even threw on a different PSU. I think i pretty much debug'd the hell out of the chip to validate its a dead chip.

can not load windows setup on a B450 or even load past post for that matter.
System freezes after post, and is stuck infinitely on the motherboard logo in uefi boot.
I dont get the windows loading rings in the bottom center when i debug the 5600G.

Again if i swap back to 3600 everything is peachy.

The system leaves me after a good 8 hour stress test for validation.
I even call back 48 hours later and ask if it ever randomly rebooted.

I can understand 1, but both cpu's really has me stumped.
If it was a AGESA issue, i would assume i could not validate the machines before it left my house.

I will try the beta 1.2.0.6b beta bios ASUS has and see if they fixes anything.
But i am not holding my breathe...

Unrelated really but one time I even dumped a cup of water into my computer and somehow only killed the motherboard, the 2700k in it still lives on to this day in my friends rig.

The only CPUs ive actually killed are Yorkfield's because well, they were yorkfields and everyone thought they were durable as hell like kentfields were only to find out they were more cheetas then greyhounds.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have a 5700g and 5600g, both with 200MHz extra boost CPU, 3-400MHz OC iGPU. They have both been champs for months now.

What vendor did you purchase them from?

Reactions: Zepp

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
System freezes after post, and is stuck infinitely on the motherboard logo in uefi boot.
I dont get the windows loading rings in the bottom center when i debug the 5600G.
Are you able to enter UEFI and change settings though?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

This sounds like the issues I had back in '18 with an Asrock AB350M Pro4 and Athlon 200GE. It would simply not work with it. The board runs all day with IGP-less Ryzens without issues, but the moment you use an APU it just goes sideways for some reason. The APU itself runs just fine in my A320M-K, with a massive memory OC to boot. It's just something about the combination that won't play ball. Don't know why, but I think VL had similar issues with a 2200G/2400G on that board.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Fascinating... Two separate failures, on the same motherboard model.
Made me look for more information online.

Came across this, from exactly one year ago:

Could it be a similar bad batch?

Better hang on to receipts, then...

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I have a 5700g and 5600g, both with 200MHz extra boost CPU, 3-400MHz OC iGPU. They have both been champs for months now.

What vendor did you purchase them from?

Amazon... and it was shipped and sold by Amazon as well.
Both came sealed also, so it was not a return or a used.
Its really driving me crazy... either i hit jackpot on bad luck, or i think i did get a bad batch, as the cpu's were purchased within a week from each other with the same vendor.
But its only the 5600G.
I have not had any other Ryzen fail on me yet, which is why i asked, am i doing something wrong on a APU that needs different settings?
Its also making me look bad in front of my cousin, i wanted to get them what i thought was the best for their budget, and the best didn't last 2 months. :fearscream:

Are you able to enter UEFI and change settings though?

Yes i can enter bios, make changes, do everything.
The moment i come out, right after post, the system hangs.
Can't do anything, wont shut down.
Needs the 5 second power button hold down to shut down.

Can not flash bios either with the dead cpu. I had to use the 3600 to flash to beta bios to test different bios, to make sure it wasn't a bios issue.
Flashing fails on 5600G, bricks board until i do a flashback (thank god new boards either have dual bios or a flashback feature) to get the board back up.

I am not hating on Ryzens... i love them to death, as 90% of the machines i have built these past 2 yrs have been nothing but Ryzens, but this APU is driving me crazy.

Still waiting on RMA from AMD on that second 5600G.

This sounds like the issues I had back in '18 with an Asrock AB350M Pro4 and Athlon 200GE. It would simply not work with it. The board runs all day with IGP-less Ryzens without issues, but the moment you use an APU it just goes sideways for some reason. The APU itself runs just fine in my A320M-K, with a massive memory OC to boot. It's just something about the combination that won't play ball. Don't know why, but I think VL had similar issues with a 2200G/2400G on that board.

That is why i tried the B450... i was thinking possibly, maybe this cpu does not like the B550, or even has a phobia with ASUS or ROG with blingy LEDs (sarcasm on the LEDs)

So i tried it on a Asrock B450.
I wanted to try it on a X570 but i could not get hold of a tester board as if i had a spare X570, it would of been gone a long time ago... you don't hold onto X570 unused... :cool:
And the other X570 i have access too, is a PITFA to get at, as its hard mounted under a desk in my brothers house, and requires 30 min to get it out. So NTY. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea and Ranulf

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Sounds like motherboard problems more than anything. I would try an MSI motherboard. Has ASRock die on me, ASUS has had problems, gigabyte has had problems. So far MSI has yet to give me a bad board.

Reactions: scineram and Shmee

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Sounds like motherboard problems more than anything. I would try an MSI motherboard. Has ASRock die on me, ASUS has had problems, gigabyte has had problems. So far MSI has yet to give me a bad board.

I am like that with Asrock...
I have not had a ASrock die or go bad on me yet.
Maybe i should of went MSI, but the B550M Motar from MSI costs 80 dollars more then a STRIX, and the STRIX is a far better better board on paper.
Hence why i went ASUS.

But again, i doubt i had 2/2 boards go bad... but i also doubted i had 2/2 cpu's go bad....
Again... i wish i knew what was up.

Recap... this is ONLY the APU series i am having issues with.... the 3600 is rocking like a champ in my cousin's system right now while i wait on his replacement. Only thing is he is using my AMD W4100 which is close to worthless in gaming as the 3600 has no IGP.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I am like that with Asrock...
I have not had a ASrock die or go bad on me yet.
Maybe i should of went MSI, but the B550M Motar from MSI costs 80 dollars more then a STRIX, and the STRIX is a far better better board on paper.
Hence why i went ASUS.

But again, i doubt i had 2/2 boards go bad... but i also doubted i had 2/2 cpu's go bad....
Again... i wish i knew what was up.

Recap... this is ONLY the APU series i am having issues with.... the 3600 is rocking like a champ in my cousin's system right now while i wait on his replacement. Only thing is he is using my AMD W4100 which is close to worthless in gaming as the 3600 has no IGP.
Thats what I have noticed. The APU's are more problematic. I think you saw the post why my X399 Taichi cap and other parts went up in smoke for no reason. That is the only one, and I have many, I have 5 ASRock SP3 server boards with my 64 core 7742's in them, no issues. I only have 2 MSI boards, but impressed with both. I had a 2990wx on one overclocked on water at 3.8 GHZ (I think it was sucking over 400 watts for the CPU)

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Fascinating... Two separate failures, on the same motherboard model.
Made me look for more information online.

Came across this, from exactly one year ago:

Could it be a similar bad batch?

Better hang on to receipts, then...

UGH... i saw that article a while back, and brushed it off as bad PR.
But i also ran into this Youtube video where a 3600 failed.
And 3600 are suposed to be almost like Tanks being boxed with a Wraith Spire cooler which is only worth its weight to be recycled into new beer cans.

This to me sounds like there are issues at TSMC and their FAB's...

• Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

Markfw

May 16, 2002
UGH... i saw that article a while back, and brushed it off as bad PR.
But i also ran into this Youtube video where a 3600 failed.
And 3600 are suposed to be almost like Tanks being boxed with a Wraith Spire cooler which is only worth its weight to be recycled into new beer cans.

This to me sounds like there are issues at TSMC and their FAB's...
I guess I am not up to 35 where one should have failed, but I have about 15-18 Ryzens over the past 3 years, not one has issues. My sons 1700x is still going strong (he doesn't even want me to upgrade it to a 3900x for free)

I still say there is sonething wrong with your bios, that is creating these problems. Or the motherboards.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

Meh, I'm using exclusively 3x ASUS ROG Strix B550 (5950X, 5800X, and 5600X) and 2x ASRock B550m Steel Legend boards (5600g and 3700X) and not a single problem. Power supplies in these are all 2x 8pin CPU connectors (1x 8pin and 1x 4pin on the boards) for extra load bearing on the CPU socket. That might be a variable to consider?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
AMD is approving the RMAs and sending back new APUs, so I guess that rules out any chance of shenanigans having occurred.

I'd DDU the drivers, and personally install the new ones. Then stress test them thoroughly while monitoring. If anything goes wrong with the new ones, then as the saying goes - the call is coming from inside the house. :eek: