I have a life........NOT

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scoobyx13x

Nov 2, 2003
I used to run 5 - 8 characters at a time when I played DAoC. It really isn't all that hard to do, once you get a system and sequence down.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: coloumb
Originally posted by: CKent
Originally posted by: DonVito
I've never played WoW - what kind of real-world cash could someone like this make by "farming"? Would it be possible to make thousands per month, to offset the cost of this insane setup?

In the past when MMORPG commodity farming was smalltime you could. I didn't play Everquest for profit or anything, but when I quit in early 2004 I made about $3k selling game money for the real thing. A friend of mine who was one of the top paladins serverwide sold his account for $1.5k. Now though it's big business and it's outsourced, mostly to China. Profits wouldn't be worth it to someone in the states but are lucrative over there. It's likely the guy in the OP is just an enthusiast with a good bit of disposable income.

Can't remember where I read it - but there was an article about people who's sole income was from playing MMO's and buying/selling in game items [as well as using exploits to generate large sums of gold]. One guy openly admitted that he exploited numerous credit duping bugs in SWG which helped pay for his house [from what I recall was about $300k].

I was considering setting up a buy/sell bot on each server, it probably would have made me some nice money. But this was when outsourcing was getting into full swing and you'd have a cleric / enchanter team farming NG in Sebilis round the clock, etc. I'll never forget it, that was when I realized it was going big-time.

scoobyx13x

Nov 2, 2003
Originally posted by: illusion88
Single man raids rule.

The only problem with running too main raids solo (or multiboxing too much) is that you lose the ability to function well in groups with others. You get so used to being in total control of the situation that it becomes hard to rely on other people to do things that you normally control (heal, mez, etc).

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
Originally posted by: scoobyx13x

The only problem with running too main raids solo (or multiboxing too much) is that you lose the ability to function well in groups with others. You get so used to being in total control of the situation that it becomes hard to rely on other people to do things that you normally control (heal, mez, etc).

I think it's more like a one button spamming fest where he has his mages cast whatever fire spell available and his priest heals him at the same time, while

Not that is much different than normal 40 man raid I think, where everyone has a distinct role on what they are doing.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
I used to box 6 eq accounts at one time... I currently box 4 accounts with EQ2, that's the most I can get out of eq2... I don't run any macros or anything fancy... I just brute force it ;)

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Heller
Originally posted by: dquan97
what's boxing?

when you have more then 1 account of a game, its considered "boxing"

No. It's when you play more then one account at a time on two or more PC's. For example I two box in EQ2 with a Illusionist and Wizard.

I use a Ideazon Fang pad in one hand to control my Wizard and use my mouse hand to control my Illusionist.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
Originally posted by: dighn
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage
why though? what is the purpose....

Well typically people run 2-5 characters at once. You can control that amount fairly well. So instead of levelling up just 1 guy, you're leveling up multiple at once. You can also take down larger stuff without the need of anyone else.

There was a guy on my star wars galaxies server who ran 3 characters at once who could whip some serious ass by himself.

If that is all the reason to warrant a PC farm and $900 worth of subscription a month, they are either rich or insane. I'm tempted to say gold farming but there's no way that would make you enough $$ with only 2 people, in north america.

that's my question, WHY would you need 43 accounts, I can understand controllering 3-5 accounts/guys at once, but man 23?

there has to be serious gold farming going on. or how else do they make cash?

I have to agree. He probably Glides most of those characters. If you don't know what that means click on the link below to get a clue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0koxKEnsr9U

mokylim

Jul 5, 2007
holy mother of techstuff..i was a wow addict until everything in my life (work,friends,family). this post make me wanna go back playing again