• No way, man. I make sweet sweet love to my mobile phone all day

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • All your communication belong to us!

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Be it a smartphone or old school flip phones. I hate them all.

PC rules people! (Yea, the good old PC, not the bad PC ) :p :p :p :p :p

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
i used to, until i didn't, now i'm ambivalent, do what you want

Jul 27, 2020
Intel's fault for not making a decent x86 phone.

The horrible thing about phones is that I have no control over them. They are locked down, running any app wants permission to EVERYTHING on the phone and it's not easy to tell what's currently running on the phone and eating CPU cycles. Heck, there is no built in Task Manager. For someone coming from a PC, the phone is an inferior POS in terms of customization and control. However, it's remarkable that the battery life lasts for two or three days if you don't actively use it and it's wayyyy more portable and lighter than anything x86 I've owned.

Jul 27, 2020
They have their use, but I'm not interested in specs etc. at all.
You should be. At the bare minimum, I make sure that I'm getting a Snapdragon phone. Less chances of random freezing issues happening. Though even Snapdragon isn't immune to the occasional wonky behavior. Or rather, it's probably the manufacturer's subpar firmware. Currently on a Moto Edge 30 phone. This is the 2nd most expensive phone for me in the last decade. The first was a Sony Xperia Active (more than $250) and that one aged pretty horribly coz I didn't check the specs. Became unusable after about five years. My fault for implicitly trusting the Sony name.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like having a portable computer with me, but doing anything that isn't downloading a sanctioned (cr)app feels artificially difficult. I use android cause it's the best of a bad situation, but I don't like it that much. I have no interest in phone specs, and I see nothing on the horizon that gets me interested in future phone tech.

So... It's just a tool to me. Like a microwave oven.

Reactions: Pohemi

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I try to use a laptop or desktop for as much as possible. I really hate sending emails or doing productivity tasks on a phone. Even shopping is annoying. I have learned to adapt and use mobile for most of my Anandtech posts.

Reactions: Pohemi and lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Typing on a soft keyboard fucking sucks. I hate doing any kind of typing on a phone. My anxiety level increases every time I need to type more than a few words. A lot of times I just wait til I can get to a real computer.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Typing on a soft keyboard fucking sucks. I hate doing any kind of typing on a phone. My anxiety level increases every time I need to type more than a few words. A lot of times I just wait til I can get to a real computer.
Try various swiping apps. Some are far better than others, but all forms of swiping are better than typing on a phone. Bigger phones (and thus bigger buttons) helps too. And then there is always the seldom used but very helpful option - you can text from your computer, no phone needed.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Honestly, my mobile phone is basically my Walkman. Yeah, I have the latest and greatest android phones but other than email and web browsing they are my music machines. With a decent portable DAC and some great wired headphones, it basically my portable HIFI system. I don't stream music so its loaded with my ripped cds and such.

• Love
Reactions: Muadib and biostud

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
You should be. At the bare minimum, I make sure that I'm getting a Snapdragon phone. Less chances of random freezing issues happening. Though even Snapdragon isn't immune to the occasional wonky behavior. Or rather, it's probably the manufacturer's subpar firmware. Currently on a Moto Edge 30 phone. This is the 2nd most expensive phone for me in the last decade. The first was a Sony Xperia Active (more than $250) and that one aged pretty horribly coz I didn't check the specs. Became unusable after about five years. My fault for implicitly trusting the Sony name.
Well, I obviously do my research before I buy one (or rather my work buys me one) so I just upgraded from a Oneplus 6 to 11. But it's not like PC hardware which is my hobby and where rumors and discussions about rumors can take hours and hours of my time.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Honestly, my mobile phone is basically my Walkman. Yeah, I have the latest and greatest android phones but other than email and web browsing they are my music machines. With a decent portable DAC and some great wired headphones, it basically my portable HIFI system. I don't stream music so its loaded with my ripped cds and such.

One of these days, I gotta figure out how to put music on my fone…I have a small, but decent collection of CD music…stuff we like…One thing I didn’t consider when I bought my new (at the time) 2019 F150 was that it has a decent sound system…but for the first time in decades, no CD player.

1701274674992.gif

I like the convenience (for me) of having a mobile fone, but it usually pisses me off when anyone actually calls me on it.
GET OFF MY FONE!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's a pretty useful tool, but naturally I still use my laptop or desktop PCs for a lot of stuff. It's nice to have a GPS map, music player, and camera all in one small device. I don't really keep up with specs or anything, and only buy a new one when there's something wrong with the old one that's not easily fixed (disassembling, and more importantly, reassembling a smart phone is a hassle).

Reactions: biostud and Pohemi
Feb 4, 2009
From working in telecom years ago, they are all the same to me. There is zero excitement in any new launches to me.
I stick with refurb iPhones simply because they work fine, I own them immediately and they typically are 1/3rd the cost. iPhones just work for me.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
As long as it can filter spam calls and messages successfully and as long as it doesn't ever show any advertisements or bother me with stuff i dont want to see, a phone is ok.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

PC rules people! (Yea, the good old PC, not the bad PC ) :p :p :p :p :p
I admire the people who appear to be typing 40wpm on their cell phones. I have to wonder what exactly they're doing but I never ask, they are strangers and it would be an imposition to even let them know I'm observing them.

I just started texting a few weeks ago but it was just in response to a person I had just visited (130 mile drive each way). I have sent a few other texts since.

I take a cell phone with me sometimes, not all the time. More than anything if I want to know the time, I never wear my wrist watch.

Best reason for me to have an activated cell phone (Galaxy S9 android, is mine) is for traveling. Then, it's my means of communication. I also use two unactivated android Tracphones around the house using wifi and apps.

I go to my gym 3x/week and I hate that 1/2 the people in there sit on a piece of equipment and just fuck with their phones between the occasional set. It really is contemptable. Makes it tough for me to work through the gauntlet of exercises in my routine. It's also disillusioning to see how cut off they appear from their surroundings with them continually staring at that little screen.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was doing this, mainly in the gym but all my PCs (couple of Win10 and an XP) recently refuse to connect to any of my 3 android phones. It was a sometime thing but I haven't been able to fix this for weeks. My workaround was digging out my 2GB capacity Sandisk Sansa M250's. I have two of those with different firmware. One's firmware is way superior to the other, so I'm just using that. 2GB capacity is a huge limitation, but the sound seems great to me. I'm playing 128 kbps 44.1 khz bitrate MP3s with quality isolating earbuds. No cell phone of mine does not have a headphone jack. It's my #1 priority. But Windows won't connect to my android phones now. I figure the blame is on Microsoft. I will try doing a reinstall of Windows.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
One of these days, I gotta figure out how to put music on my fone…I have a small, but decent collection of CD music…stuff we like…One thing I didn’t consider when I bought my new (at the time) 2019 F150 was that it has a decent sound system…but for the first time in decades, no CD player.

View attachment 89500

I like the convenience (for me) of having a mobile fone, but it usually pisses me off when anyone actually calls me on it.
GET OFF MY FONE!

grab EAC, rip your CDs, convert to FLAC (all within EAC) and copy to phone. done. Play with Foobar2000

Android Auto would integrate your phone with the truck's system.

Similar process for iPhone but I don't know the details.

Reactions: biostud
Jul 27, 2020
I was doing this, mainly in the gym but all my PCs (couple of Win10 and an XP) recently refuse to connect to any of my 3 android phones.
That's really weird. Maybe some Android account setting preventing that, especially if you are using the same Google account on all three Android phones. The newer phones ask the user if they just want to charge the phone through the connected USB port or if they want to allow data transfer.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

View attachment 89500

GET OFF MY FONE!
Doesn't your truck have a data USB port (that is, one that is for more than just power)? If so, no phone needed. Just put your music on a USB drive and done. Pretty sure that I've had that for the last 15 years--through two different cars and plenty of rental cars. No phone needed, no having to copy music from phone to phone as you upgrade, nothing to forget as the USB stick is always in your car, no bluetooth connection hassles, easily swappable if you use someone else's vehicle. Just take the USB drive out before you sell the truck and plug it into the next vehicle.

Here is what I see when I start up my car. I guess that I have 50 folders of music and Alan Walker's Different World is currently playing. All from the USB stick.

Attachments

• PXL_20231129_184907917 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20231129_184907917 - Copy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Doesn't your truck have a data USB port (that is, one that is for more than just power)? If so, no phone needed. Just put your music on a USB drive and done. Pretty sure that I've had that for the last 15 years--through two different cars and plenty of rental cars. No phone needed, no having to copy music from phone to phone as you upgrade, nothing to forget as the USB stick is always in your car, no blutooth connection hassles, easily swappable if you use someone else's vehicle. Just take the USB drive out before you sell the truck and plug it into the next vehicle.

Here is what I see when I start up my car. I guess that I have 50 folders of music and Alan Walker's Different World is currently playing. All from the USB stick.
The well-aged head unit in my old Miata (aftermarket) has a USB slot that makes it pretty easy. My 2015 VW has an SD card slot tucked away in the glove box, it's great. So hopefully Ford managed to not screw it up in 2019.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's a pretty useful tool, but naturally I still use my laptop or desktop PCs for a lot of stuff. It's nice to have a GPS map, music player, and camera all in one small device. I don't really keep up with specs or anything, and only buy a new one when there's something wrong with the old one that's not easily fixed (disassembling, and more importantly, reassembling a smart phone is a hassle).
Yes those things are pretty damn amazing, if you are on the go at all. GPS/Music/Camera.

Plus I love it for being able to check transit schedules, rent citi bikes, buy mass transit tickets, look up nearby food joints or bars or whatever for entertainment - keeping lists, for reminders/tasks/calendar events.

texting is invaluable for both work and non-work life.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcslookout

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Meh, it’s a useful tool but my MS has turned my hands into fists/clubs. Some days are better than others, on the bad ones I just use my PC.

Aside to @BoomerD Android Auto was garbage! Apple CarPlay works great for me.