I got my Anova today!

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Sigh. I didn't even know these existed, and now I'm in for one.

I like it because it's always plugged in & ready to go, and is more compact than other sous-vide appliances (ex. Sous Vide Supreme) because of the vertical design, and has a chiller built-in to hold your food for you during the day until you get home from work. You can remote-start it from anywhere in the world via the app! Pretty handy!

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I like it because it's always plugged in & ready to go, and is more compact than other sous-vide appliances (ex. Sous Vide Supreme) because of the vertical design, and has a chiller built-in to hold your food for you during the day until you get home from work. You can remote-start it from anywhere in the world via the app! Pretty handy!

Yeah, when I saw it I was thinking ... well damn that looks convenient. I'm a single man, so I often am cooking for one. It just seems so much more practical. Unlike that one time I cooked that huge bunch of ribs ... when I had to wrap the 10 gallon tub in towels and all of that. They were good, but that sucked effort wise... 36 hour cook time... oof. Next time I do ribs, I'm definitely going to try the instapot.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah, when I saw it I was thinking ... well that looks convenient. I'm a single man, so I often am cooking for one. It just seems so much more practical. Unlike that one time I cooked that huge bunch of ribs ... when I had to wrap the 10 gallon tub in towels and all of that. They were good, but that sucked effort wise... 36 hour cook time... oof. Next time I do ribs, I'm definitely going to try the instapot.

Yeah, I use both the Sous Vide & the Instant Pot. I have an IKEA floor shelf with two Mellows and a 6-quart Instant Pot for daily use. The Mellows have been rock-solid for me, as has the Instant Pot. Nearly all of my food gets purchased, flash-frozen, vac-sealed, and tossed into my freezer. Then I just pull out what I want & how much I need. My schedule is variable, so sometimes I'm just cooking for myself instead of my family, so I can tell you that if you're cooking for one, it does just fine! You can eat like a king, too!

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Wow...that Mellow looks ideal for me...I have an Anova and loved it, but for the last year or so w/ my new job I haven't used it based on schedule/energy after work etc. Have you had any issue w/ the refrigeration or cooking performance in general? Assuming you've used other sous vide devices, notice any difference in accuracy? Do you have to use their time/temp suggestions from the app or can you adjust? Think I might have to grab one of those...

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Wow...that Mellow looks ideal for me...I have an Anova and loved it, but for the last year or so w/ my new job I haven't used it based on schedule/energy after work etc. Have you had any issue w/ the refrigeration or cooking performance in general? Assuming you've used other sous vide devices, notice any difference in accuracy? Do you have to use their time/temp suggestions from the app or can you adjust? Think I might have to grab one of those...

I have 2 Mellows & use them weekly. The biggest limitation is the size of the tub. You can fit maybe 3 large steaks in a single tub, so if you're cooking for a crowd on a regular basis, you're going to need to stick with your Anova.

I don't use any of their settings, I do everything manually & use my own timers because that's how I prefer to cook.

As far as the chiller goes, you either have to pre-chill it or throw in some ice cubes, because it takes awhile to get cold (like 2 hours from room temp, the chiller is good when it gets going, but it's so tiny that it takes awhile unless you add ice) & there's a risk of putting your food in warm water, then waiting for it to chill, thereby entering the "danger zone" of temperature for bacteria to grow. You can remotely pre-chill it via the app, or if you have an ice maker in your fridge, just drop some in to quickly chill the water. Physics can only do so much due to the size of the unit, but I haven't really had an issue with it once I adjusted my workflow. I've had mine since Christmas of 2017 & haven't had any issues with either unit.

tbh it feels like it's a magic food machine. I heavily stock my freezer with vac-sealed meat (steak, burgers, meatballs, shrimp, various fish, pork chops, bacon, pork shoulder, pork tenderloin, chicken thighs, chicken breasts, chicken wings, etc.)...it's so easy to just grab something, toss it in the Mellow in the morning, and have it ready to sear/fry/whatever when I walk in the door. My Instant Pot handles the veggie or starch side (rice, corn on the cob halves, etc.), plus I typically do some dinner rolls or homemade bread or something, and voila - dinner! The Mellow also has a higher WAF, unlike my Anova "science expeirment", haha, so it gets to stay in the kitchen 24/7 as a permanent appliance.

At $99, these are a steal! I'd buy more, but I already have 2 lol.

Reactions: Kyle

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply- I'm usually cooking for myself so size isn't an issue. I don't have an ice maker where I'm at now so would probably use the pre-chill or fill it w/ water from a pitcher from the fridge. Good to hear you can set your own time/temp settings.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I'm going to bust out my Mellow this weekend.

Anyone want to hit me up with an idea of what to make first? I've got a prime rib steak in the freezer, but I'm open to suggestions.
Edit: wrong thread ... I saw Kaido and a topic with a capital A. Alternative explanation: I'm an idiot.

Can anyone help a poor simpleton out?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Can anyone help a poor simpleton out?

Personally, I suggest doing a simple boneless NY strip steak, at least 1" thick. Pre-heat the water to 130F, bag the meat, and cook for a minimum of 60 minutes (recommend at least 2 hours, however).

When the cooking is done, pull it out & remove from the bag, pat dry (no need to rest!), and sear on a cast-iron skillet using. Before searing, put mayo on each side (makes the outside crispy), and be sure to salt & pepper each side.

This procedure will introduce you to:

1. Cooking with your sous-vide
2. Searing meat after cooking SV
3. Tasting & chewing a SV-cooked steak

I got hooked on my first cook (thanks @Hayabusa Rider!)...perfect meats, every time! I got better at searing & eventually at doing sauces (and rubs). I cook SV all the time now...once you get familiar with the setup & stock your freezer & create a weekly menu, it's just too easy to grab a steak or burger or whatever out of the freezer, toss it into your Mellow, and come home to a ready-to-sear, perfectly-cooked piece of meat. I eat steak & potatoes for dinner for the same price as a Big Mac meal at McDonalds these days, it's awesome!

Reactions: PJFrylar

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Nah, I'm pretty sure I'll have no problem with it. I'm just looking for some inspiration recipe wise. I've been super busy/sick lately and haven't had the chance to unbox it yet. Between a paid holiday today and actually taking Sunday off, there is a good chance i'm going to fire it up. Right now i'm favoring marinating the prime rib in a korean bbq style sauce and putting it into a drunken noodle stir fry.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Nah, I'm pretty sure I'll have no problem with it. I'm just looking for some inspiration recipe wise. I've been super busy/sick lately and haven't had the chance to unbox it yet. Between a paid holiday today and actually taking Sunday off, there is a good chance i'm going to fire it up. Right now i'm favoring marinating the prime rib in a korean bbq style sauce and putting it into a drunken noodle stir fry.

Whoohoo!

So I would say that the primary point of Sous Vide cooking is to pasturize & tenderize meats perfectly, every time. It makes meats soft & perfectly-cooked; that's the core function. From there, you can eat it plain, sear it, add a rub, add a sauce, or get creative with it in other ways, such as shredded chicken for tacos, chicken strips for cold salads, and so on. You will have to do some testing to see what texture you like, which takes some experimentation. For example, here's a chart with some chicken times & temperatures, for different effects:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07...-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html#chart

The key is really combining (1) the sous-vide texture you want, with (2) the finished product you want. So I may do a NY strip steak with a mayo sear (mayo = eggs & oil, which makes the surface nice & crispy on a hot cast-iron pan), or I may do a chicken breast with a Peruvian spin using green sauce & quick-pickled onions (super delicious!), or I may coat my chicken wings with potato flour & tapioca starch, sous-vide them, and then flash-fry them for a nice crispy crunch, with perfectly-cooked meat inside. Once you get rolling with SV, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it, haha!

Also, here's a good tutorial for SV'ing prime rib:

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/how-to-sous-vide-prime-rib

Remember, sous-vide perfectly cooks it...it's up to you to sear it after & to add flavoring. SV, in essence, just makes soft, fully-cooked meat; it's a foundation for you to build your "food house" on - spices, herbs, sauces, rubs, frying, searing, grilling for char marks, baking the skin separately for crispy chicken skin, etc. And also yeah, it's not just for meats...I make ice cream base with mine, I make mini pots of desserts (cheesecakes, yogurts, pots de creme of various flavors, etc.), all sorts of stuff! It's a great hobby because you gotta eat, so you might as well do it for cheap at home, do it easily with the SV appliance, and get stellar results so you actually look forward to easily-made, budget-friendly, home-cooked meals!

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
I also recently received my Mellow (thanks again for posting that deal) - played around w/ the app some but plan on actually cooking something this weekend. I've cooked a bunch w/ my Anova so I'm most excited about the cooling and coming home from work to a fully cooked meal.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I also recently received my Mellow (thanks again for posting that deal) - played around w/ the app some but plan on actually cooking something this weekend. I've cooked a bunch w/ my Anova so I'm most excited about the cooling and coming home from work to a fully cooked meal.

Yeah, the cooling thing is a REALLY nice feature. It takes a couple hours to chill, so you have to pre-chill ahead of time so that your food doesn't sit in the "danger zone" for bacteria growth, but they added an "add ice" feature to the app, so if you have an ice maker handy in your freezer, it's a piece of cake to chill the water quickly. If I'm cooking a lot in a particular week, I just leave the chiller on 24/7 when not cooking for convenience. I'll have to dig up my measured Kill-a-watt numbers, but it wasn't too bad to keep running once it got cold. It's like a little thermo-electric-whatever chiller, so kind of a wimpy version of a mini-fridge unit, which explains why it takes so long to get cold, but it's no biggie in practice.

It is really nice walking in the door after work, cutting the bag open, and searing. I have a plug-in induction hot plate, which gets my cast-iron pan super-hot in a jiffy, so I can make quick work of chicken, steak, SV burgers, etc. I have my freezer setup with all kinds of vac-sealed meats, so that makes dinner meal-prep as easy as picking something, dropping it in the chilled Mellow bath, and having it ready-to-sear later that day. All remotely adjustable from the app! I mean, it all depends on what fits your lifestyle. Sometimes I don't get home until 5, 6, or 7pm, and I don't want to have to fire up my Anova, cook, and then be eating late. Or else having to do all of the cooking ahead of time for the week & store it in the fridge, which I've played with & works great, but the "cook on the day of, grabbing vac-sealed meat from the freezer" approach has really been working out well for me lately!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
1. The steak is just kind of soft mush. This adds a crust. It's a texture thing. Go ahead & try eating it without a sear lol.

2. Because of the surface bacteria, the surface kind of turns to a gray-ish color, not super appetizing. The bacteria is dead, but the color is a bit funky on steaks. Searing gives you that beautiful crust on the exterior.
so I got lazy and didn't sear it.

yeah on the steak looking grey. :eek:
and it tastes like it was boiled in water even tho I added same amount of spices as when I seared. :(
(it basically was boiled in it's own juices)

searing it is! (even if it means another item to wash.)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
so I got lazy and didn't sear it.

yeah on the steak looking grey. :eek:
and it tastes like it was boiled in water even tho I added same amount of spices as when I seared. :(
(it basically was boiled in it's own juices)

searing it is! (even if it means another item to wash.)

Yay steak!

Cast-iron sear + Outback salt-jacketed baked potato FTW!

yTrVrvC.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
New "Honey Badger" un-killable Anova wand:

https://anovaculinary.com/meet-the-new-anova-precision-cooker/
It. Will. Not. Die.

I can’t legally say that it will not die, but we did set out to create an extremely durable device. To that end, our internal project name was Honey Badger (The Anova team is a huge fan of most Mustelids, but in terms of toughness, we all agree–the honey badger stands alone). The all-new Anova Precision Cooker was steam tested for over 1,000 hours at 90° C and IPX7 rated. Dunk it in water or drop it on the floor, the all-new Anova Precision Cooker don’t care.

Pre-order at $130 (MSRP $200) - 1000 watts:

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

New Anova app as well:

https://anovaculinary.com/app/

1200-x-1200-Pro-Right-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
and the only diff between this and my $40 Anova clone is toughness?

Toughness & wattage. 1000 watts heats up the water faster than say 750 watts. But, it also depends if you have remote access to your machine & can pre-heat it that way. Some benchmarks:

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com...blog/more/sous-vide-machine-benchmark-results

The 750-watt Anova Nano took 31 minutes to go from room-temp water to 140F, whereas the 1500-watt Vesta Imersa Expert took only 16 minutes. Granted, the Vesta is $630 & the Anova Nano is currently $72, so is it worth a price difference of $558 to cut the preheat time in half? Depends on your situation. Of course, there a middle-ground options...the new Anova is 1000 watts, and per the chart above, a 1000-watt SV unit typically takes around 24 minutes to heat up the water.

I have a couple of Mellows in addition to my Anova wands, and I've never bothered to time them, because if I'm home for the sous vide process, I'm usually home for the evening, so...whatever. It's like preheating your oven...it takes however long it takes & you just deal with it & kind of ignore it until it beeps that it's ready, lol. If I were buying a wand today, I'd probably shell out for the new "tough" Anova, just for the longevity & extra wattage, but there are literally pages of alternative SV wand brands on Amazon in the $59 price range that have hundreds if not thousands of great reviews, so...meh.

Personally, I've amassed an odd collection of Sous Vide equipment over the last 4 years: (I blame @Hayabusa Rider for this, lol)

1. (2) Mellow sous vide: These are small AIO units that have a chiller & remote-access (out of network) built-in. The tanks aren't very big (so they don't hold a lot), and the design is kind of 80's style, but they got the WAF stamp of approval to live permanently in the kitchen, so they're on a special permanent shelf next to my 6-quart Instant Pot. They both get used on a near-daily basis for either meal prep or for meals that day, typically for protein, veggies, and desserts.

2. (1) Anova Nano: I use this with the 12-quart bin & silicone lid. They sell a really nice bundle now ($42, at the moment) that includes a 12-quart bin, beer cozy-style wrap, and silicone lid for the Nano, which is currently $72 on Amazon, so you can get a really nice setup for $114 these days. I use this for bigger cooks at home, like ribs (which require a lot of space), or when I'm doing a ton of 4oz jelly-jar desserts (creme brulees, yogurts, pots de cremes, flans, mini cheesecakes, etc.).

3. (2) Anova Bluetooth: These are the older models at this point. I use both with a 120-quart super-insulated cooler (currently $45 delivered on Amazon!) for large events, like family reunions, get-togethers with friends, BBQ's, weddings, etc.. Having dual wands helps get the water heated up faster & helps to keep the temperature consistent. This setup lets me cook a truckload of food safely & easily, so that it can be seared & served quickly. I typically do stuff like sous-vide burgers, chicken breast, etc. & then have a variety of sauces & toppings available. It saves an incredible amount of both money (over a caterer, or ordering food ahead of time) and time (I can either pre-cook the food, or cook it on-site & hold it at temp as long as needed) & paid for itself the first time I used it a couple years ago. Plus I can divide up the work, so I can easily feed dozens of people myself as a one-person job...vac-seal the meat ahead of time, SV cook & shock the meat ahead of time, and then grill it up on a Blackstone flat-top grill or whatever (gas or charcoal grill, if available - note that Steelmade makes a flat-top covering for grills that you can lay on directly!) as needed. I've done a couple work-related cookouts for customers like this & it was really awesome because all of the food was safe (pasteurized), well-cooked, and just came out really really good, with not a ton of work being required in the moment...basically just heat & eat!

As a bonus, it greatly simplifies meal-prep because of how automated the cooking becomes, and how reliable & consistent the results are, once you lock in a particular time/temperature combo for whatever you're cooking. Same deal with the Instant Pot...I use both machines all week long. Saves me stupid amounts of money, saves me effort as far as cooking at home goes, and produces really wonderful food for all of my meals. Hard to beat!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
my old school anova bluetooth has been shutting off randomly. is there a fix for that?

Are the water levels staying over the minimum required? Evaporation can cause the water levels to drop & then the machine will automatically shut off.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Are the water levels staying over the minimum required? Evaporation can cause the water levels to drop & then the machine will automatically shut off.
yep, it'll happen randomly, sometimes even before water reaches temp. sometimes can go a whole steak and not have any issues. i guess its just going bad

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
yep, it'll happen randomly, sometimes even before water reaches temp. sometimes can go a whole steak and not have any issues. i guess its just going bad

Bummer...try contacting Anova. Is it still under warranty, by any chance?

If you do need a new one - RossMAN has a $39 model linked above, might be worth a shot!