I found this amusing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
did the sign actually say ".88 cents"? if so then, yes, she has a point. albeit a stupid point. if it just says ".88" then she is just stupid herself.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: MotionMan
I do not get how .88 has to mean .88 of a cent (which it obviously does not) and not .88 of a dollar (which it obviously does)?

MotionMan

Well, maybe if you start a steady diet of paint chips and head injuries, it'll make sense to you in a few weeks.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
.88 cents does not equal 88 cents. She's right. I've heard of this happening before. They generally change the sign pretty quick once customers start demanding the posted price. The teacher would win in court.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
I do not get how .88 has to mean .88 of a cent (which it obviously does not) and not .88 of a dollar (which it obviously does)?

MotionMan

OP left out that important detail, the .88, I am sure, was followed by the cent symbol (¢).

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Baloo
.88 cents does not equal 88 cents. She's right. I've heard of this happening before. They generally change the sign pretty quick once customers start demanding the posted price. The teacher would win in court.

Please point out where in the OP it said .88 cents.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: newb111

Please point out where in the OP it said .88 cents.

YEAH!!!

:crossed arms;
:tapping foot;

MotionMan

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006

MotionMan

OP left out that important detail, the .88, I am sure, was followed by the cent symbol (¢).

I am not so sure. See his response below:

Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: timswim78
She is going to send her kids to a liquor store?

Also ".88" would only mean 88 cents if it was followed by a cents symbol. Since our currency is the U.S. dollar, ".88" would indicate .88 dollars (88 cents).

sorry a convenience store would have been better to say, they have tons of liquor but all the other candy and crap too.

she said what you said, and something about it needed a $ sign or something. I have no fuckin idea what she was high on, but it was funny to hear her carry on and on. She was lecturing the owner for a solid 5 minutes. Even got Pepsi's info and will be having the kid who was in with her send in a letter to get reimbursed for the cost of the soda.

MotionMan

Oct 4, 2004
She probably read that thread about that dude that went to Wal-mart and tried to buy a crapload of potatoes for .10c a pound (or whatever it was). Was that even a true story or just a hypothetical situation?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
My grade 6 teacher told us a story about a kid "cleaning out" a convenience store cause the clerk wrote 0.## cents instead of $0.##. Bla bla bla, cop comes, lets him off cause he saw the screw up. I always called bs, but give me a break... Maybe the teacher in this case is right technically, but tell her to get the hell off her mensa-horse.