I found this amusing

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'm doing computer work for a liquor store yesterday when a lady comes in to talk to the manager. Pepsi has a sign outside they says "32 ounce fountain drink .88" she is explaining to the manager that she's a school teacher and .88 means hundredths of a cent not 88 cents. So he's like "the signs Pepsi's not mine" she says "will you honer the price for my students?" "no it's not my sign call Pepsi" So she say she's going to tell all the kids at her school to come and try to get soda's for less than a penny. I was trying not to laugh at her, but it was hard. I never thought about the sign even though I had seen it a million times. But any reasonable person would see it and understand it's 88 cents.

So I'm heading there when schools out today to see if like 400 7th graders show up trying to get a soda for under a penny lol.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If I had been working the counter I would have offered her a Midol.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
Yay for the teacher to get kids going to the liquor store at an early age.

FDF12389

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Chryso

Gotta learn how to law down the law in a liquor store at a young age man.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: FoBoT
what is her AT screen name?

If she's not on here I'm sure she would love it, that was like a real life dealing with an ATOT [insert type] Nazi. She'd fit in perfectly here.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
Originally posted by: Chryso

You can't start teaching important life skills too early!

And for more math at the liquor store, lets figure out what the 10% discount on six bottles of wine will be.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: FoBoT
what is her AT screen name?

If she's not on here I'm sure she would love it, that was like a real life dealing with an ATOT [insert type] Nazi. She'd fit in perfectly here.

:thumbsup:

:laugh:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Was there a dollar sign there? $.88 is eighty-eight cents. But regardless, what a moron.

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
She is going to send her kids to a liquor store?

Also ".88" would only mean 88 cents if it was followed by a cents symbol. Since our currency is the U.S. dollar, ".88" would indicate .88 dollars (88 cents).

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
And the burning question in my mind is...what sort of payment does a computer guy get for doing work for a liquor store?

In store credit?

:beer:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: timswim78
She is going to send her kids to a liquor store?

Also ".88" would only mean 88 cents if it was followed by a cents symbol. Since our currency is the U.S. dollar, ".88" would indicate .88 dollars (88 cents).

sorry a convenience store would have been better to say, they have tons of liquor but all the other candy and crap too.

she said what you said, and something about it needed a $ sign or something. I have no fuckin idea what she was high on, but it was funny to hear her carry on and on. She was lecturing the owner for a solid 5 minutes. Even got Pepsi's info and will be having the kid who was in with her send in a letter to get reimbursed for the cost of the soda.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: vi edit
And the burning question in my mind is...what sort of payment does a computer guy get for doing work for a liquor store?

In store credit?

:beer:

I get cash, sometimes I work for beef jerky and beer. Depends on the mood I'm in, the store's a whole 2 blocks from my house. Like right now their Internet's down, so I go spend 5 minutes fixing it. And walk out with a few slabs of beef jerky and a 12 pack of Newcastle.

Liquor stores are good businesses for PC repair people, most of them out here have one and need it for check cashing/Western Union/etc. Good source of jobs for me.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I do not get how .88 has to mean .88 of a cent (which it obviously does not) and not .88 of a dollar (which it obviously does)?

MotionMan

MattCo

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by: MotionMan
I do not get how .88 has to mean .88 of a cent (which it obviously does not) and not .88 of a dollar (which it obviously does)?

MotionMan

exactly, unless the sign has the cent symbol directly after the .88 and we are not being told that by the OP. If no symbol was there, it could mean .88 of a tank of gas (which could be 75 bucks or so) and she better pay up.