I feel for IT people

GrantMeThePower

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2005
So i'm at my desk and this lady says, "GrantMeThePower, can you take a look at my computer? Somethings wrong".

So i say, "Sure, what's up?"

And I walk to her desk and look at her PC. It looks fine, the icons are all there, on a plain white background. I ask again, "whats wrong with it?"

And she says, "Well I tried restarting it, I shut it down, and everything! and it still does this!"

I'm thinking, uh? Doing, what? So i said, "Uh? Doing what?"

And she says, "its just like this!" as if I'm supposed to understand what that means.

So i try opening up her my documents folder-no problem. I run our MRP software. No problem. "I dont know what's wrong" i say

and she says, "Well it looks like that....I used to have an ocean and I can't get it back"

In my head I laugh and say, "You mean just the background? It used to look different?"

SHe says, "I guess thats what I mean. All i know is it looked different."

So, right click properties, and scroll through the pictures until i get to the island one. "That's it! that's it!" she almost yelled out...apply, done.

"Oh its all working again! THank you so much!!"

omg....are you kidding me?

Cliff's:

Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to complain to IT.
I feel for IT people.

ABitTooSpicy

Jun 30, 2004
So glad I'm not in support anymore!! Even though I did level 2 technical support, every once in a while I would still end up with people as smart as a door knob! =)

:edit:

Thought I would update with my most annoying call from the support days:

This lady calls in and tells me that the software stopped working. "It was working yesterday and now it is no longer loading" she says.

I proceed to try and figure out why it isn't loading. So after talking to her I find out that her shortcut has disappeared and she can no longer start the software. So I'm already thinking that its a PEBKAC error. I tell her to go to Program Files to see if we can find the .exe and create her a new shortcut. She doesn't have the software listed in Program Files or under Add / Remove Programs.

Now I ask, have you have ever ran the software on this machine before? She says "Yes, it just disappeared".

I then proceed to ask "did anyone uninstall the software"? She says, "No".
I finally ask "What happened to your machine between yesterday and today?". She says, "Nothing, I only had it reimaged".

And thats when I realized I had to leave support!!!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
IME dumb people account for 90% of the calls for help to IT ... I do mainly contract network support jobs now so I deal pretty much only with other IT people but have done plenty of help-desk in the past & its mind-numbing!

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Captante
IME dumb people account for 90% of the calls for help to IT ... I do mainly contract network support jobs now so I deal pretty much only with other IT people but have done plenty of help-desk in the past & its mind-numbing!
Considering that 90% of people are dumb, that statistic is only proportional.

Aug 23, 2000

Shoot, I do the support FOR the IT staff. I've come to notice IT means you know your one thing, ie IT. Nothing else. There morons want me to set up servers for them so they can run there databases and JDE frontends and yadda yadda, but they don't understand Press ANY key to boot from CD-ROM.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I love people like this...I make decent money off them...most of the time I can't stand people, but when they are paying me...I find my tolerance increases a bit.

(that and a six pack afterwards)

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

Shoot, I do the support FOR the IT staff. I've come to notice IT means you know your one thing, ie IT. Nothing else. There morons want me to set up servers for them so they can run there databases and JDE frontends and yadda yadda, but they don't understand Press ANY key to boot from CD-ROM.

"their"

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

sounds like they are conning off the mundane BS work to you :).

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
If that was the dumbest request for help I got I'd almost be happy. It's when there really is nothing wrong that I get annoyed.

'Hi, I can't get into my email anymore'

'What do you mean you can't get into it anymore, does it say your password is wrong?'

'No, I just can't get to it'

'What do you mean you can't get to it?'

'The orange thing is gone'

'You mean the icon for Outlook?'

'No, my email icon'

'That's called Outlook you douchebag, the icon has been named 'Outlook' for all 5 years you've used it'

'It's not there anymore'

*remote desktop to her system*

'It's right here in the middle of the screen'

'Oh that's not where it normally is, it's usually over on the left'

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Move away from desktop support and into managing and troubleshooting servers.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i probably have tons of stupuid stories like this but i can't remember them. probably because i try to block them out of my memory...

so much stuff just makes you want to bash their head into the wall until the stupidness leaks out...

i seriously need to look into college again.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I could tell you about the woman who told me her elevator was broken.

It was in reference to her scroll bar, the document she was looking at was only 1 page and she was expecting more. The bar was greyed out, so I guess she was disappointed that she couldn't take the 'elevator' down to sublevel 1.

FusionKnight

Jun 29, 2004
I once got a call from the daughter of the VP of finance. Her computer suddenly shut down without warning, apparently. I go on up and sure enough, black screen, no power, no fans, nada. I ask her if she saw the windows shutdown process, and she gave me a blank look. I attempt to turn the power back on and still nothing. I check the cables and found the source of the problem. She had run over the power cable with her chair and it had popped loose. I mentioned my name like eleven times in the four minute period, hoping it would get back up to her mom (the VP) but it never went anywhere ;)

FK

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: RichUK

"their"

"they're"

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: GrantMeThePower
So i'm at my desk and this lady says, "GrantMeThePower, can you take a look at my computer? Somethings wrong".

So i say, "Sure, what's up?"

And I walk to her desk and look at her PC. It looks fine, the icons are all there, on a plain white background. I ask again, "whats wrong with it?"

And she says, "Well I tried restarting it, I shut it down, and everything! and it still does this!"

I'm thinking, uh? Doing, what? So i said, "Uh? Doing what?"

And she says, "its just like this!" as if I'm supposed to understand what that means.

So i try opening up her my documents folder-no problem. I run our MRP software. No problem. "I dont know what's wrong" i say

and she says, "Well it looks like that....I used to have an ocean and I can't get it back"

In my head I laugh and say, "You mean just the background? It used to look different?"

SHe says, "I guess thats what I mean. All i know is it looked different."

So, right click properties, and scroll through the pictures until i get to the island one. "That's it! that's it!" she almost yelled out...apply, done.

"Oh its all working again! THank you so much!!"

omg....are you kidding me?

Cliff's:

Dumb people shouldn't be allowed to complain to IT.
I feel for IT people.

Now try solving this "problem" over the telephone, and you will have a true understanding of our pain.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Does this mean that anyone that knows enough about computers can go work in IT? If 90% of the stuff is easy-no-thought-necessary, what is the other 10% composed of?

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: oogabooga

"their"

"they're"

You're wrong, son. The correct usage was ?their? as it was intended to be possessive.

He was using, and you were suggesting, the incorrect spelling in that context as the correct spelling should have been their. There were two instances of the wrongful use of the word there instead of their both in the same sentence. Take a second look.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Wheezer
I love people like this...I make decent money off them...most of the time I can't stand people, but when they are paying me...I find my tolerance increases a bit.

(that and a six pack afterwards)

same here. i have some customers that refuse to learn any amount of computer knowledge, so bad that i have to explain the windows key on the keyboard every time i talk to them. inhouse i have one person (office manager) that makes a box of rocks look better than most mensa members... i have to explain why network and local drives are different, and she finally puts a hand up and tells me she just doesnt care enough to listen. i daily want to slap her sideways. the customers ill deal with and have a smile on my face (its billed hourly, afterall) but inhouse it drives me insane.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
"The computer isn't taking my password."
*walk over
"Try it again."
*types in password
"You're using the keypad but your num lock isn't on."
"Oh."

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: oogabooga

"their"

"they're"

...i'm lost now...

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: ABitTooSpicy
So glad I'm not in support anymore!! Even though I did level 2 technical support, every once in a while I would still end up with people as smart as a door knob! =)

:edit:

Thought I would update with my most annoying call from the support days:

This lady calls in and tells me that the software stopped working. "It was working yesterday and now it is no longer loading" she says.

I proceed to try and figure out why it isn't loading. So after talking to her I find out that her shortcut has disappeared and she can no longer start the software. So I'm already thinking that its a PEBKAC error. I tell her to go to Program Files to see if we can find the .exe and create her a new shortcut. She doesn't have the software listed in Program Files or under Add / Remove Programs.

Now I ask, have you have ever ran the software on this machine before? She says "Yes, it just disappeared".

I then proceed to ask "did anyone uninstall the software"? She says, "No".
I finally ask "What happened to your machine between yesterday and today?". She says, "Nothing, I only had it reimaged".

And thats when I realized I had to leave support!!!

lol

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
You're wrong, son. The correct usage was ?their? as it was intended to be possessive.

He was using, and you were suggesting, the incorrect spelling in that context as the correct spelling should have been their. There were two instances of the wrongful use of the word there instead of their both in the same sentence. Take a second look.

I was commenting on the "there" I bolded which would be "They're". I assume he meant (with whatever I changed in bold):
They're morons who want me to set up servers for them so they can run their databases and JDE frontends and yadda yadda, but they don't understand Press ANY key to boot from CD-ROM

I didn't say you were wrong, I just added. I only meant that you were incomplete and bolded and made an additional correction.

But, you seem to see that there (their/they're? OH GOD WHICH ONE IS IT) are two mistakes in the sentence, but both would not be fixed with their. Unless of course which he had meant IT's Moron (posessive), in which case it would be "their" but that sentence would make even less sense. As in someone's moron's wanted to setup servers but that someone (not being the moron he's insulting) couldn't press any key, which wouldn't match the rhetoric of the sentence.

but what do I know? I :beer: too much.

edit: sorry this was stupid thing to get into, on topic- support does suck.