I don't get Pink Floyd. He seems like a POS to me.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
The classical elitists need to go listen to some music instead of getting in these pointless "your music sucks" debates on the internet. As much as you might think it incompatible, I can like Brahms and Pink Floyd. On the classical side, I'm more into orchestra with piano, rather than some endless repetitive high-pitched annoying whiny violin solo performance.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Hey now...

Some of us classical lovers have feelings:p

I agree that the OP is a fool or jsut ignorant for bringing this retribution upon himself.

Classical music is many things to many people, as are most types of music. Just because the skills that are emphasized in one genre are not emphasized in another does not automatically degrade the level of the performance.

In fact, this leads me to believe that this Vertimus fellow doesn't understand what music is and how music works. The only composer who truley stands out is beethoven more his rythmic genius.

I play the violin. I fvking love Heifetz. I fvkign love Beethoven. I fvking Love Sibelius.

..and I fvkign love the ole' Pink Floyd...

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If you think there is no life after classical music, you are dead wrong. Soooooo many bands use it as inspiration.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
btw fool, not knowing what you are talkign about, talking liek you do, and insulting peoples tastes makes situations real neasty real quick....

you best think about before I get my whipping stick...

randumb

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2003
Originally posted by: servicemonkey
For example, the stuff Sarah Chang did before she was 18 with the violin pwns what Pink Floyd did today anyday.

Let's just see what Sarah Chang can do when she's 55+ years old...

Uh...because Perlman's skills have obviously dropped off...

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: randumb
Originally posted by: servicemonkey
For example, the stuff Sarah Chang did before she was 18 with the violin pwns what Pink Floyd did today anyday.
Let's just see what Sarah Chang can do when she's 55+ years old...
Uh...because Perlman's skills have obviously dropped off...
I have more of a piano preference myself, but regardless, Horowitz seemed to do just fine later in life (of course, I doubt he used quite so many drugs, either). ;)

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Vertimus
So, I've been watching VH1 for the past 10 minutes, and Pink Floyd doesn't seem that talanted with the guitar, neither with the voice.

For example, the stuff Sarah Chang did before she was 18 with the violin pwns what Pink Floyd did today anyday. And Pink Floyd's like what? 40 years older?

So, why is he so famous?

You cannot possibly be serious. You're telling me you can listen to Gilmour play lead and not get chills down your spine? Hell, I got a shiver down my spine seeing Waters on stage with those guys.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
You cannot possibly be serious. You're telling me you can listen to Gilmour play lead and not get chills down your spine? Hell, I got a shiver down my spine seeing Waters on stage with those guys.
I like Gilmour and Petrucci, but that is one thing Gilmour has that Petrucci lacks: the ability to consistently send a shiver down one's spine. There's more to music than "shredding," or whatever it's called on your instrument of choice.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: ProviaFan
Originally posted by: Feldenak
I like Gilmour and Petrucci, but that is one thing Gilmour has that Petrucci lacks: the ability to consistently send a shiver down one's spine. There's more to music than "shredding," or whatever it's called on your instrument of choice.

It's exactly why I could never get into Yngwie Malmsteen. I never felt any emotion from him. Gilmour can damn near bring me to tears...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So few bands exist that create a unique sound and experience like Pink Floyd. Technical skill has its' merit, but Artistic skill is more important to acheiving legendary status. Pink Floyd acheives Artistry in a sea of Technocrats.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: ProviaFan
The classical elitists need to go listen to some music instead of getting in these pointless "your music sucks" debates on the internet. As much as you might think it incompatible, I can like Brahms and Pink Floyd. On the classical side, I'm more into orchestra with piano, rather than some endless repetitive high-pitched annoying whiny violin solo performance.

Take a look at Electric Light Orchestra