I don't get Pink Floyd. He seems like a POS to me.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Gibsons
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Originally posted by: silverpig
Uh, there's no actual guy named Pink Floyd dude...
Sure there is! He and Steely Dan hang out together all the time, sometimes Mott the Hoople will join them. ;)

ZV
and lets not forget Jethro Tull (the singer, not the inventor)

:p
So we'll have Lynnyrd Skynnyrd on bass, Pink Flown on guitar, Jethro Tull singing, Steely Dan on keyboards and Mott the Hoople on drums.
Wow! That would be an amazing band! I just can't imagine why no-one has thought of doing that before. ;)

ZV

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Go listen to Dark Side of the Moon (the album as a whole, not the song) or The Wall. Musical Genius.

the wall sucks, at least relatively.

dark side of the moon and wish you were here are definately their best.

anyways the OP needs a ban

Originally posted by: KarenMarie
if you dont get it... there is no sense in trying to explain it.

suffice to say. they are gods.

:)
fixed :)

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: servicemonkey
For example, the stuff Sarah Chang did before she was 18 with the violin pwns what Pink Floyd did today anyday.

Let's just see what Sarah Chang can do when she's 55+ years old...

lets see sara cheng do that after not playing for 20+ years.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Pink Floyd and the like are for dumb teenagers. They simply rave over it. But once you get older, you understand it's nothing but regular BS.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Which one's pink? Well, pink doesn't have hands, so he doesn't play an instrument. In fact pink doesn't even have feet, so he was never like that guy from Def Leopard. ANd if memory serves, pink doesn't speak english or anthing else for that matter so he can't really sing either. Pink was also tone deaf.

Floyd was the name of Roger Waters pig when he was younger. Floyd the pig was pink.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Booster
Pink Floyd and the like are for dumb teenagers. They simply rave over it. But once you get older, you understand it's nothing but regular BS.

name something better please.

made in the last 50 years.

thanks

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

thanks

Yeah, there was no real music after Mozart, they say. But who cares? I just mean PF is nothing but a regular pop band. Some like it, some not. I personally don't like their world. Seems something wrong with it. But to say they are gods of music is ridiculous. Or the best in 50 years. Of course not.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Pink Floyd is great because it's sort of theatrical like Meatloaf except they don't suck and act like homosexuals. Their melodies can be very unique, and yet borrow from many differnt sources like R&B, jazz, gospel, and good old American Rock & Roll. They're all talented musicians so when they alchemize these influences it's actually ineresting.

They're also incredibly experimental so it's easy to get caught up in their novel sound arrangemtns and story lines. PF is more of a mental experience than just music, so when you compare it to some violinist it's like apples to oranges.

spaceghost21

May 22, 2004

Because, of course, anyone who knows anything will have the same tastes in music as you. I find it ironic that you base intelligence and maturity on age, when you obviously possess neither.

Slacker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: UsandThem
Originally posted by: silverpig
Uh, there's no actual guy named Pink Floyd dude...

:thumbsup:

"Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. you?re gonna go far, fly high,
You?re never gonna die, you?re gonna make it if you try;they?re gonna love you.
Well I?ve always had a deep respect, and I mean that most sincerely.
The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. oh by the way,
Which one?s pink?"

Us and Them
And after all we're only ordinary men
Me, and you
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do
Forward he cried from the rear
and the front rank died
And the General sat, as the lines on the map
moved from side to side
Black and Blue
And who knows which is which and who is who
Up and Down
And in the end it's only round and round and round
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
the poster bearer cried
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside
Down and Out
It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about
With, without
And who'll deny that's what the fightings all about
Get out of the way, it's a busy day
And I've got things on my mind
For want of the price of tea and a slice
The old man died

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

thanks

Yeah, there was no real music after Mozart, they say. But who cares? I just mean PF is nothing but a regular pop band. Some like it, some not. I personally don't like their world. Seems something wrong with it. But to say they are gods of music is ridiculous. Or the best in 50 years. Of course not.

yet still you can't think of anything better.

congrats.

Vertimus

Banned
Apr 2, 2004

thanks

congrats.

Yes. Mozart is better than PF. Taht's not over the past 50 years, but so what?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Vertimus

thanks

congrats.

so are you agreeing with me?

Vertimus

Banned
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Vertimus

thanks

congrats.

so are you agreeing with me?

I dont' know enough about music in the past 50 years to make a judgement.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
To compare Sarah Chang to Pink Floyd and state that Pink Floyd is a POS because they are not virtuosos makes you an idiot, but we already knew that since you seem to think Pink Floyd is a person.

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Go listen to Dark Side of the Moon (the album as a whole, not the song) or The Wall. Musical Genius.

the wall sucks, at least relatively.

dark side of the moon and wish you were here are definately their best.

anyways the OP needs a ban

Originally posted by: KarenMarie
if you dont get it... there is no sense in trying to explain it.

suffice to say. they are gods.

:)
fixed :)

the wall doesn't suck, even relatively. but i think you have to listen to the whole thing as an album. i mean, with songs like: another brick in the wall, mother, young lust, hey you, comfortably numb, etc...thats a classic.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
because it hadent been asked yet, what kind of music do you like? im intrested in what you listen to if you think PF sucks,

now im not a HUGE PF fan, i didnt used to like it but as i get older i liek it more and more, and its always worth a listen if its being plaied somewhere

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I admit pink floyd was not at their best tonight. If you think they suck based on what you heard tonight, please listen to the entire Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, and The Wall. The stuff they made when they were younger and in their prime. If none of you realized this they are into their 60s...... Roger Waters (the guy on the bass for those who do not know who i am speaking of) was born in 1943. David Gilmour (the bald guy, lead singer and lead guitar) was born in early 1944. They are NOT what they were back during the 1970s. They are old enough to me the majority of ATOT's grandparents. Not only that but the majority of those years were spent in constant drug abuse (you name it, they probably did it), which does wonders for your voice when you smoke heavily for over 40 years.

That being said, i believe that they did an AMAZING job considering those facts. They were one of the best performers on live 8 and the crowd loved them.