I don't get Pink Floyd. He seems like a POS to me.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

midwestfisherman

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Vertimus
So, I've been watching VH1 for the past 10 minutes, and Pink Floyd doesn't seem that talanted with the guitar, neither with the voice.

For example, the stuff Sarah Chang did before she was 18 with the violin pwns what Pink Floyd did today anyday. And Pink Floyd's like what? 40 years older?

So, why is he so famous?

Please stop posting!!!! :roll:

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
They're just a bit rusty, that's all. They haven't played together in about 20 years. The Rolling Stones still sound pretty good even though they're old. Practice keeps you good.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
wtf???? PInk Floyd is a band....not a person.....Maybe that is why pink floyd is not good on the guitar, because there is not such guitarist named pink floyd.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
They're just a bit rusty, that's all. They haven't played together in about 20 years. The Rolling Stones still sound pretty good even though they're old. Practice keeps you good.

ah forgot to mention that in my post. Waters has not worked with any of them since The Final Cut and their last album/tour (without waters) was in the early 90s, right?

ctracyw

Mar 14, 2005
if you have to explain the music of pink floyd to someone, they arent going to get it anyway...

CMC79

May 31, 2003
Last tour was the Pulse tour in support of The Division Bell album. The 4 hadn't peformed together since 1981 during the Wall tour, and the band came apart in the aftermath of The Final Cut,

aux

Mar 16, 2002
So, I've been watching VH1 for the past 10 minutes, and Pink Floyd doesn't seem that talanted with the guitar, neither with the voice.

For example, the stuff Sarah Chang did before she was 18 with the violin pwns what Pink Floyd did today anyday. And Pink Floyd's like what? 40 years older?

So, why is he so famous?

Don't worry, most people need more than 10 minutes to realize that the band Pink Floyd is quite good. Usually about 14-15 minutes.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
Which one's pink? Well, pink doesn't have hands, so he doesn't play an instrument. In fact pink doesn't even have feet, so he was never like that guy from Def Leopard. ANd if memory serves, pink doesn't speak english or anthing else for that matter so he can't really sing either. Pink was also tone deaf.

Floyd was the name of Roger Waters pig when he was younger. Floyd the pig was pink.

Um....no. They were originally named Tea Set, but changed their name because another band was already using that name. They became The Pink Floyd Sound, named after 2 musicians. They later shortened the name as they were commonly called Pink Floyd.

Nov 5, 2001
oh, and Booster - I can''t believe you labelled PF a pop band. That is most definitely the first and only time ANYONE has stated such a ridiculous thing.

angrycomputer

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

So, why is he so famous?

Because its unique rock and roll and sounds better to many more people than some damn violin. I have been playing guitar 10 years. David Gilmore is one of the most talented rock guitarists of all time, in fact is my favorite guitarist

angrycomputer

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: UsandThem
Originally posted by: silverpig
Uh, there's no actual guy named Pink Floyd dude...

:thumbsup:

"Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. you?re gonna go far, fly high,
You?re never gonna die, you?re gonna make it if you try;they?re gonna love you.
Well I?ve always had a deep respect, and I mean that most sincerely.
The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think. oh by the way,
Which one?s pink?"

band is named after a dog, with a pinkish skin.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: angrycomputer

Which one?s pink?"

where do you people get this BS?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: desk
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Go listen to Dark Side of the Moon (the album as a whole, not the song) or The Wall. Musical Genius.

the wall sucks, at least relatively.

dark side of the moon and wish you were here are definately their best.

anyways the OP needs a ban

Originally posted by: KarenMarie
if you dont get it... there is no sense in trying to explain it.

suffice to say. they are gods.

:)
fixed :)

the wall doesn't suck, even relatively. but i think you have to listen to the whole thing as an album. i mean, with songs like: another brick in the wall, mother, young lust, hey you, comfortably numb, etc...thats a classic.

is there any other way you can listen to pink floyd other than by album?

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
You need to develop an acquired taste to appreciate Pink Floyd. Though I have to say that some of their work is mediocre.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Which one's pink? Well, pink doesn't have hands, so he doesn't play an instrument. In fact pink doesn't even have feet, so he was never like that guy from Def Leopard. ANd if memory serves, pink doesn't speak english or anthing else for that matter so he can't really sing either. Pink was also tone deaf.

Floyd was the name of Roger Waters pig when he was younger. Floyd the pig was pink.

Um....no. They were originally named Tea Set, but changed their name because another band was already using that name. They became The Pink Floyd Sound, named after 2 musicians. They later shortened the name as they were commonly called Pink Floyd.
Yep, by Syd Barrett. Named from Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb

thank god someone else around here knows his sh!t

angrycomputer

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: angrycomputer

Which one?s pink?"

where do you people get this BS?

How do you people not know that? I thought it was a well known fact just like its well known hendrix couldnt read music.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb

Well that just means I've been feeding what is evidently bulls1t to people foryears based on a source I don't even remember now. :D :(