I can't wait until Arnold is in office

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
The interesting with politics is that it is more important to "communicate" with the people of your constituency than it is to be a super educated government official with years of experience. The vast majority of career politicians are in it for the money (and there's nothing wrong with that - we all need to eat), but oftentimes that need for money results in conflicts of interest. When you look at Arnold, there is no financial incentive for him to do it. He already is popular and quite powerful due to his popularity, so the two reasons he might have are to gain more power and maybe to just do something good.

I hate this trend of celebrities becoming politicians as much as the next educated guy, but I can't deny that there's a refreshing honesty and simplicity when this guy speaks. Even his apology sounded surprisingly sincere. I'm not even republican, but I would vote for him.

The bottom line is that he is a refreshing candidate.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: sxr7171
The interesting with politics is that it is more important to "communicate" with the people of your constituency than it is to be a super educated government official with years of experience. The vast majority of career politicians are in it for the money (and there's nothing wrong with that - we all need to eat), but oftentimes that need for money results in conflicts of interest. When you look at Arnold, there is no financial incentive for him to do it. He already is popular and quite powerful due to his popularity, so the two reasons he might have are to gain more power and maybe to just do something good.

I hate this trend of celebrities becoming politicians as much as the next educated guy, but I can't deny that there's a refreshing honesty and simplicity when this guy speaks. Even his apology sounded surprisingly sincere. I'm not even republican, but I would vote for him.

The bottom line is that he is a refreshing candidate.

Well his acting career is another bad movie or two away from being in the dumper so this is a perfect vehicle to keep himself in the Limelight. I bet this as much an Ego Ride than anything else.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: sxr7171 The interesting with politics is that it is more important to "communicate" with the people of your constituency than it is to be a super educated government official with years of experience. The vast majority of career politicians are in it for the money (and there's nothing wrong with that - we all need to eat), but oftentimes that need for money results in conflicts of interest. When you look at Arnold, there is no financial incentive for him to do it. He already is popular and quite powerful due to his popularity, so the two reasons he might have are to gain more power and maybe to just do something good. I hate this trend of celebrities becoming politicians as much as the next educated guy, but I can't deny that there's a refreshing honesty and simplicity when this guy speaks. Even his apology sounded surprisingly sincere. I'm not even republican, but I would vote for him. The bottom line is that he is a refreshing candidate.
Well his acting career is another bad movie or two away from being in the dumper so this is a perfect vehicle to keep himself in the Limelight. I bet this as much an Ego Ride than anything else.

True. I guess he's kind of an ego maniac, but all politicians are to differing extents. At least this guy doesn't have 20 years of polical/vested interests to satisfy. It is especially refreshing in these times of certain industries being blatantly favored at the national level by whatever means necessary.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Completely unqualified:
- No experience as an elected official at any level
- No prior interest or experience related to public service
- Extremely unlikely to have the vaguest concept of the structure and workings of the government of a state the size of California

phhhfew! Good thing doesn't describe arnold!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: sxr7171 The interesting with politics is that it is more important to "communicate" with the people of your constituency than it is to be a super educated government official with years of experience. The vast majority of career politicians are in it for the money (and there's nothing wrong with that - we all need to eat), but oftentimes that need for money results in conflicts of interest. When you look at Arnold, there is no financial incentive for him to do it. He already is popular and quite powerful due to his popularity, so the two reasons he might have are to gain more power and maybe to just do something good. I hate this trend of celebrities becoming politicians as much as the next educated guy, but I can't deny that there's a refreshing honesty and simplicity when this guy speaks. Even his apology sounded surprisingly sincere. I'm not even republican, but I would vote for him. The bottom line is that he is a refreshing candidate.

True. I guess he's kind of an ego maniac, but all politicians are to differing extents. At least this guy doesn't have 20 years of polical/vested interests to satisfy. It is especially refreshing in these times of certain industries being blatantly favored at the national level by whatever means necessary.
Well I do agree that it is refreshing to have someone outside the box looking to run things but Arnold really isn't one of those. Hell he is a Kennedy isn't he? J/K I'm sure the the Conservatives will be disapointed by the time he term is up because he isn't one of them, he is a Rockefeller Republican which means he is a Liberal Republican.. (well as Liberal as a Republican can be) Who knows, maybe with that political outlook he can convert CA Republican Party back from the extremist Ultra Conservative to a more Moderate Party. If he is able to do that maybe the Republicans would stand a better chance of succeeding there in the future.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Well I do agree that it is refreshing to have someone outside the box looking to run things but Arnold really isn't one of those. Hell he is a Kennedy isn't he? J/K I'm sure the the Conservatives will be disapointed by the time he term is up because he isn't one of them, he is a Rockefeller Republican which means he is a Liberal Republican.. (well as Liberal as a Republican can be) Who knows, maybe with that political outlook he can convert CA Republican Party back from the extremist Ultra Conservative to a more Moderate Party. If he is able to do that maybe the Republicans would stand a better chance of succeeding there in the future.

I think his popularity transcends traditional political lines, that in itself is refreshing. California needs to swallow a bitter pill sooner or later, and this guy will be able to sell it better than most.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

I think his popularity transcends traditional political lines, that in itself is refreshing. California needs to swallow a bitter pill sooner or later, and this guy will be able to sell it better than most.
Yeah if he can get people to take him seriously. It's not as if he is ascending the Governors mansion with a clear mandate!

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky
Originally posted by: Amused
I would think every Californian would be embarrassed to have a completely unqualified person elected as Governor.

Describe in detail exactly what makes a person "qualified" to be governor?

Completely unqualified:
- No experience as an elected official at any level

That's a PLUS

- No prior interest or experience related to public service

From everything I've read, Arnold has alwyas had an interest in politics and government.

- Extremely unlikely to have the vaguest concept of the structure and workings of the government of a state the size of California

I bet he's better educated in economics than you are. I figure an MBA is good enough.

What I believe this will add up to is a figurehead governor (Arnold) being manipulated by a group of behind-the-scenes people who actually know how a state is run. In other words, you elect one person, but a group of no-name backroom people are the ones who actually hold office.

You just described every large business and government in the world. You want a macro-manager for a figurehead. Every micro-manager politician who runs for major office like president or governor ends up a disaster. Look at Carter for an example.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Hey I would hope a rich successful Movie Star married to a bone faced witch like Maria Schriver would grope and sleep around . If he didn't I'd think he was some Muscle Bound Nancy Boy like Rock Hudson.

Replacing Davis with Ahhnold isn't going to change anything. Thery need to clean the slate of all the State Reps and Senators from both parties, the real cause of the problems there.

BTW, according to my relatives in Central California, the demise of that state is greatly exagerated. In Merced they are building tons of new homes (All sold before they are completed) and a new shopping center. Can't say that is happening here in Boston.

You don't live in the state to quite feel the effect.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
At least Arnold doesn't beat his wife like Davis does.

;)
("do you still beat your wife?")

Repeat a lie often enough and people start to treat is as proven, like Davis and appopin are doing. Is Arnold a groper? Who knows. Does Davis snort coke, drink human blood and club baby seals for their pelts? I don't know that either.

But Bustamante implying he was afraid Arnold would grope (Bustamante's) daughters was sleazy politics at its finest.
What you can't seem to grasp is that Ahnold ADMITTED it. :p

We know that - it is public record . . . and a few more women came forward again today . . . lucky 13 - so far - that he fondled or touched inappropriately.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: SammySon
It's very funny, and very sad at the same time.

Let's see him deal with the biggest state deficit of all time.
Yes, this is very true and when the deficit is still just as bad as it is now, the Conservatives who wanted him so bad will resort to saying that he is too Liberal and that is why he didn't get the job done. I find the whole bumper sticker Conservative movement just halarious.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
i don't believe these allegations. some of the women are butt ugly and you'd think they would've sued arnold for money if arnold really sexually haressed them. Arnold is married and has 4 kids, even his wife trusts him. who are these fvckers to say that he's some scumbag that sexually haresses women in a regular basis? PROOF?? such BS coming from davis fans. and what's with the nazi crap? he's being called a nazi for some idiots misquoting him? isn't that RACISM to say he's a nazi just because he's an austrian?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
i don't believe these allegations. some of the women are butt ugly and you'd think they would've sued arnold for money if arnold really sexually haressed them. Arnold is married and has 4 kids, even his wife trusts him. who are these fvckers to say that he's some scumbag that sexually haresses women in a regular basis? PROOF?? such BS coming from davis fans. and what's with the nazi crap? he's being called a nazi for some idiots misquoting him? isn't that RACISM to say he's a nazi just because he's an austrian?
You mean you don't want to. :p

Ahnold admitted his "inappropriateness" as being "playful" and APOLOGIZED for offending the women. :p

There is also a transcript of his "admiring Hitler" in an old interview.

You ought to keep up with the news. :p

rolleye.gif

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
You mean you don't want to. :p

Ahnold admitted his "inappropriateness" as being "playful" and APOLOGIZED for offending the women. :p

rolleye.gif

You just showed everyone that you aren't keeping up with the news by that remark, as the NY Times itself corrected the remark. They misquoted him 'accidently', and now they have posted the correct one. Try checking the thread on it.

DJFuji

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
I like what Dennis Miller said on the tonight show. He told Leno that Arnold may not have a ton of political experience, but he came to america and wanted to do two things: Be a body builder and be a movie star. He was Mr. Universe several times, and went on to be one of the biggest movie stars of our time. The guy clearly does what he sets his mind to.

And he's an honest guy at that. I admire him MORE for admitting that he's not a complete angel. He admits his mistakes and isn't trying to pull the wool over your eyes like most politicians. I kind of find it hard to believe that all these women are "suddently" coming out and saying he sexually harassed them. That's a bit like how Jessica Lynch couldn't remember anything until someone offered her a cool million for a book deal. Suddenly her memory comes back like magic. WHAT a coincidence...

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: DJ Fuji
I like what Dennis Miller said on the tonight show. He told Leno that Arnold may not have a ton of political experience, but he came to america and wanted to do two things: Be a body builder and be a movie star. He was Mr. Universe several times, and went on to be one of the biggest movie stars of our time. The guy clearly does what he sets his mind to.

And he's an honest guy at that. I admire him MORE for admitting that he's not a complete angel. He admits his mistakes and isn't trying to pull the wool over your eyes like most politicians. I kind of find it hard to believe that all these women are "suddently" coming out and saying he sexually harassed them. That's a bit like how Jessica Lynch couldn't remember anything until someone offered her a cool million for a book deal. Suddenly her memory comes back like magic. WHAT a coincidence...

Finger shaking and saying "Let me tell you something, I don't know what are you talking about" is not exactly being forthcoming. And his so called admission has been followed by bashing the media for making it public. It's not exactly taking responsibility if you only admit it after there is an article, and then go about bashing the source that forced you to admit the truth. Also, Arnold has not laid out why he wants to be governor and what his goals are aside from getting into the office. He is clearly not prepared what needs to be done, as evidenced by what happened with Warren Buffett. He brought in a guy to advise him what needs to be done, and then when the advise wasn't politically popular, he ignored it. So that tells me he'll be just another politician doing what's politically expedient.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Based on what I've heard about the groping women thing LET IT GO! Was he fondling them under ther shirts as they tried to escape or slap their ass for fun and now they're suffering trauma?

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Based on what I've heard about the groping women thing LET IT GO! Was he fondling them under ther shirts as they tried to escape or slap their ass for fun and now they're suffering trauma?

Arnie is THE MAN.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I would think every Californian would be embarrassed to have a completely unqualified person elected as Governor.

Hence, the recall. ;)

edit: DOH! I guess great minds think alike...

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001

Believe because he admitted it and apologized for it. Also, if I unstersood the news correctly, this was way back when he was still in his 20's, prior to marriage and the maturity that comes with age.

And the Nazi thing comes from a quote that is extremely out of context.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin

rolleye.gif

Apoppin, didn't you say a few threads back you were done posting your uber-libero views on this topic as you made your point?? just another lying dem/lib I see :)

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb

I agree Skoorb but not for the same reasons...one would think that if something was as traumatic as this, and only a few years ago as apoppin has brought up on numerous occasions, and with someone as famous/wealthy as Arnie that these women would have been much quicker to bring this to light...especially in this day and age of sue everyone and ride the gravy train to luxury....it is interesting to say the least that these Women decide to come out right now....personally if something like that had happened to me with someone (female) of Arnie's status and wealth and it was against my will I would be as high on my soapbox going to every tabloid I could to squeeze a few bucks out of it not to mention the heafty lawsuits that I am sure more than a dozen qualified attorneys would be eager to work on.....just seems like more dirty libero politics to me, but then again that is their thing isn't it.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Regs
I still remember in the movie: "Demolition Man", they state Arnold is the future President of America. What a cruel joke that back fired or has yet to be seen back fired.

Holy crap batman!!!

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: SagaLore

Believe because he admitted it and apologized for it. Also, if I unstersood the news correctly, this was way back when he was still in his 20's, prior to marriage and the maturity that comes with age.

And the Nazi thing comes from a quote that is extremely out of context.

First thing is that no matter what anyone says, people that are already leaning for or against Arnold will not by swayed to change their mind.
Still, these 15 (from at least 15 women) allegations SPAN thirty years with the "newest" ones allegedly occuring in the year 2000. Last Day for Calif. Recall Campaigning

Lockyer noted the one-year statute of limitations for sexual battery has expired on all the complaints that have surfaced since the Times reported Thursday that several women claimed Schwarzenegger groped or sexually harassed them between 1975 and 2000.

Regarding the nazi quotes, we do not know fully know what was said. Arnold has bought the rights to the outtakes to that movie "Pumping Iron."
<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?
file=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/03/MN232681.DTL">Actor's Link to Hitler Comment a Hazy Trial</a>

The interview itself was not included in the picture, but some 15 years later, Schwarzenegger bought up all the outtakes from the movie from Butler.

Look, I think the recall is a bad idea. I think Arnold would make a terrible governor as he will probably allow his handlers to run the state gov't. Nobody will change anyone's mind now at this point. To win, it is just a matter of turning out the voters who agree with your position.