I can't even give this old CRT away on Craigslist

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I just checked my local craigslist and there's a 20" CRT for sale, $25. Good luck buddy. Right below that some one is selling an IBM PC JR for $50. Is that a collectors item now?

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just checked my local craigslist and there's a 20" CRT for sale, $25. Good luck buddy. Right below that some one is selling an IBM PC JR for $50. Is that a collectors item now?

I had a PC Jr growing up. Still have it in the basement of our old house. I've often wanted to bring it into work and set it up in place of my dual LCD's I have now.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I had a PC Jr growing up. Still have it in the basement of our old house. I've often wanted to bring it into work and set it up in place of my dual LCD's I have now.

Do you think there are adapters that would allow you to connect it to your LCD? I'm not sure how well that particular model supported dual displays. :D

I remember when my dad bought our first PC (a used Tandy 1000 that he kind of got taken on) that even he knew the PC Jr was a pile of crap. I had to refresh my memory to confirm this, but it was a problematic design with a high price and lacked full IBM PC compatibility. I noticed it uses a number of weird proprietary ports which isn't surprising for an IBM machine really since I recall ever since they accidentally succeeded with the PC they kept trying to close down the open architecture that escaped their pen.

Edit: I did not know this until now, apparently the Tandy 1000 is essentially a heavily retooled PCjr design that corrected most of its deficiencies and carried on some of the weird standards it introduced with them becoming known as Tandy standards despite their origin. I recall my Tandy had sound support that few games could use and a 16 color graphics that most games also did not support.

Last edited:

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Tried to sell a 27in Trinitron at our last neighborhood garage sale. No takers.

Might be a blessing in disguise. I think I might put it in the sub-basement and hook up my Playstation 2 to it.

ConwayJim

Dec 16, 2004
A guy down the road put a 15" CRT on the curb for a few weeks. It was vandalized after a few days, he ended up dumping it at a recycler. Cost him $3

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I have a 36" Magnavox TV with a rare Invar screen (high def for the time!) that we paid $800 in the mid 90's It weighs around 150LBS and still works perfectly. The problem is it's on the 2nd floor of my house and there isn't a way in HELL I'm taking it down the stairs (I almost killed myself taking it up the stairs when we moved it).

My daughter uses it for her bedroom TV. When it dies, I'm going to turn it into an aquarium or something.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
I have a 36" Magnavox TV with a rare Invar screen (high def for the time!) that we paid $800 in the mid 90's It weighs around 150LBS and still works perfectly. The problem is it's on the 2nd floor of my house and there isn't a way in HELL I'm taking it down the stairs (I almost killed myself taking it up the stairs when we moved it).

My daughter uses it for her bedroom TV. When it dies, I'm going to turn it into an aquarium or something.

Um, chuck it out the window? :sneaky:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Invar shadow mask vs trinitron were the two technologies at the time. Mid-90's and Magnavox @ $800 average. I snagged my 32" CX32G60 Toshiba for $750 when it was mis-marked in 1997. It was the best screen in the Toshiba line up minus the 'cinema' speakers. I had replaced an unopened Mits. 35" flagship model (35405) which was a around $1700 I ordered a few months prior. I found the calibrated Toshiba much better for picture quality.

Edit: actually it was $2099. I ended up selling it for $1700 :)

found my old for sale ad (along with a typical asshat that couldn't afford it but wanted to take a stab at me): http://groups.google.com/group/rec....read/thread/cd5e475f2acd4a39/5a32cd55f76ac9fa

I am still using the 32", but I will be replacing it with a 60-70" LCD/Plasma soon.

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Meh, wusses. I had a 34" widescreen CRT Toshiba HDTV (no HDMI support) that was about 175 lbs.

Actually, the guy who sold it to me came with one mover to deliver it. The mover was big and beefy, but the sales guy wasn't. They couldn't get it up my stairs. Finally I replaced the sales guy to move it.

The great thing about it though was there was no video lag whatsoever. It was only when I switched to LCD did I discover this thing called video lag. On my LCD it was mild but on others it just drove me up the wall. I couldn't believe people actually watched TV and gamed on televisions with such lag.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Familiar with LAGRUNAUER, I drove 8 hours to pick up my FW900 from good ol' Unkle Vito :p So mine is already calibrated by him. The monitor has drifted since and needs a bit of love. I have a TTL-USB adapter and Windas fully setup on a second machine. I just haven't gotten around to sitting down and screwing with the G2 and "Maxoverdrive" settings in the config file. To a certain extent CRTs just dim over time and there is little you can do to restore them to their original brightness. Thankfully Sony gave us a back door through Windas to enable us to tweak these monitors and get the most out of them throughout their entire life.

I'll have to look up the C520K

Unkle Vito FTW! 8 hours holy sh:eek:t! Nice to see another FW900 owner here. :thumbsup:

He told me mine was in great shape... the red gun wasn't as great as the others but other than that the tube still had a long way to go. I'm not familiar with Windas or messing with the config file like you are so I'll have to keep lugging it to him every year or so... fortunately I'm only half an hour away.

Wow I'm going to have to contact him. A brand new FD Trinitron is just gorgeous!
When they get old, the sharpness goes down drastically. You have to turn down the brightness considerably so that the image doesn't get fuzzy.

I regret not having calibrated mine sooner! He actually has a grade A+ FW900 on ebay right now but he tells me hes basically using it as an ad. lol

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I just dropped 5 CRT monitors and a CRT TV off at Salvation Army this weekend... wasn't even worth trying to sell. I'll write off a few bucks on my taxes for them.

Bro...

http://shop.xgaming.com/

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tron...Gen-8-Graphics-2G-32G-2-4Ghz-5Ghz-351938.html

http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B00KBQZC4M

http://www.maximus-arcade.com/

construction_1.jpg

mockup2.jpg

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
ive got about 200 of them in a warehouse, i keep reminding my boss to get the recycle guys out there. He bought them like 10 years ago for the call center and 21" monitors were expensive. So he has a hard time getting over that he has to pay like 5 bucks a monitor to have somebody come out and dispose of them. heheheheh

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Such a shame this will be locked, even with relevant new discussion. Now it is even harder getting rid of CRTs, and even the old rear projection CRTs are free on Craigslist. They don't even take them at the consignment shops anymore.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000

But seriously, this is yet another thread that can be relevant, why the hatred and disdain for necro threads? It's not like the old days where threads are flying off the front page. There are 3 day old threads on the front page, and I am surprised they haven't made it to 4 days yet.

I know you have watched these forums slip into mediocrity, so why cut down a necro thread that might actually spur an interesting discussion, instead of the circus of trolls and echo chamber of "regulars"

I am probably jumping the gun, but it really annoys me when threads get closed regardless of what they are bumped for.

And again, related to the topic: I can see why a MAME cabinet should have a CRT display to feel more legit. Lots of joystick options these days too.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
But seriously, this is yet another thread that can be relevant, why the hatred and disdain for necro threads? It's not like the old days where threads are flying off the front page. There are 3 day old threads on the front page, and I am surprised they haven't made it to 4 days yet.

I know you have watched these forums slip into mediocrity, so why cut down a necro thread that might actually spur an interesting discussion, instead of the circus of trolls and echo chamber of "regulars"

Whoa, relax :awe:

K7SN

Jun 21, 2015
There's awesome capacitors and an awesome transformer in there. Salvage it for those parts and build a tesla coil!

Yes; people don't build anymore; they buy. My favorite was building a Jacob's ladder also called a high voltage traveling arc - the smell of ozone and nitric oxide - wahoo - carcinogenic but all sorts of fun.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
WHAT? No value left for CRT televisions? :eek: I'm about to pull the 80 lb. Samsung 25" out of my motorhome...I'm SURE I can get at least $100 for it on Craigslist... :p

I'll probably let the RV shop that's doing the work recycle it for me. :D

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I realize this is a necro but, most towns have a yearly electronics recycling day. where you can take pretty much anything over and they dispose of it for you

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Whoa, relax :awe:

Sorry Ross, I guess the whole way necros are treated on this forum is an e-pet peeve of mine. I'm really surprised this thread is still open, to be quite honest.

I still remember when LCDs were actually quite inferior to CRTs, from a clean picture standpoint, and they were coasting on taking up less space, being lighter, and using less power.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Sorry Ross, I guess the whole way necros are treated on this forum is an e-pet peeve of mine. I'm really surprised this thread is still open, to be quite honest.

I still remember when LCDs were actually quite inferior to CRTs, from a clean picture standpoint, and they were coasting on taking up less space, being lighter, and using less power.

No worries, it's all good.

I vividly remember making the leap from CRT to LCD about a decade ago, Dell 19" LCD for around $700 which was a hot deal score at the time. It was replaced with our Dell 2005FPW which has been nothing short of awesome.

This post has been sponsored by "Dude, you got a Dell!"

P.S. Seriously Dell if you wanna throw some $$$ my way, please contact my publicist.