I can taste blood when I breathe

Nov 26, 2005
I can taste blood when I breathe.

I was outside shoveling the snow after work, and half way through it, I was tasting a blood scent that had to be coming from my lungs. I know it wasn't any of my gums bleeding.

All through-out the day, a guy lit up about 2 - 3 cigarettes and it causes irritation in my throat and lungs. For my job, I work out in the elements with chainsaws trimming back trees from powerlines and it's been a tough winter here.

This is a sign of what? pneumonia?

Last edited:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I have had this my entire life when under substantial cardio activity and it's cold. I am not saying it's not bad. It may be that I am about to die, but I have always had it, like a blood or metallic (more blood, though) taste.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I have had this my entire life when under substantial cardio activity and it's cold. I am not saying it's not bad. It may be that I am about to die, but I have always had it, like a blood or metallic (more blood, though) taste.

this.

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003

Me too, although it goes away as I get into shape.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
This happened the other night when I went running, it was like 5 degrees out. It only happens to me when I breathe heavily in cold weather.

I, too, am interested in this.

Mar 22, 2002
This sounds like dysgeusia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgeusia). It has a wide array of causes. Some are serious and some are not. If you can go to the doctor, it might be worth it. It depends on how wary you are of it. With potential pathologies such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, and cancer, it has some serious possibilities. I'd get it checked out.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
This sounds like dysgeusia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgeusia). It has a wide array of causes. Some are serious and some are not. If you can go to the doctor, it might be worth it. It depends on how wary you are of it. With potential pathologies such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, and cancer, it has some serious possibilities. I'd get it checked out.
So I'm not actually bleeding ;) I didn't think I was, but maybe it is that. Still, with already several people confirming they've found the same thing I'm not inclined to worry.

spamsk8r

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2001
I get the same thing Skoorb described sometimes. I figured it was just something that happens. I used to smoke as well, so I don't know if that comes into play. Usually when it happens I end up coughing up a lot of clear phlegm-like stuff, so I just figured it was part of my body's way of cleaning out my lungs. If you're really worried about it go see a doctor and get a chest x-ray.

Nov 26, 2005
That may be the best idea. It happened again recently.

What is odd is that I don't feel any strenuous effort to breathe.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I get this all the time when we practice in the cold. It always goes away after a while for me.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
See a doctor?

I have not heard about this condition before, and I used to have an EMT license in college.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
We'd need a Crystal Ball to know if you're OK down the road, so I would still err on the side of caution.
OK who here wants to go? let's see who can hold out long enough. I'm tired of worrying about my health :D

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
I get this sometimes too if I do alot of cardio when I havent been to the gym in awhile, its probably sars mixed with aids, mixed with herpes.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
I remember getting this sensation when running indoor races (dry gymnasium) and outdoors when doing speedwork (HIIT). Not a big deal - it goes away once you adapt.