I bought Black Ops 4, my first COD game since MWII

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I also just checked the graphics settings and some stuff was turned to medium or different settings than default when I bought the game. So I just set it back to defaults. I think view distance was set to medium as well. The regular defaults I think set it to high.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I'm having fun with the game so far. First CoD since the first Modern Warfare. Came primarily for Blackout but may end up playing regular multiplayer more depending how things ultimately get balanced and optimized.

Performance is pretty mixed. On Saturday when I first installed, the game ran great. 80-120 fps at 1200p, mostly maxed settings, 4670k, 1070ti, 16GB ram. I did get an out of memory crash, went and bumped up my page file size since it was almost nothing, seemed to be fine after that. Earlier this week grouped up with some friends for Blackout, performance was OK for 3 rounds, then it just went to crap. Lowered settings, didn't seem to help. Restarting the game helped a little. Kind of the same thing last night, OK for a bit, then just downhill. Reading around it looks like higher core/thread counts generally seem to help, but overall there doesn't seem to be any consistent reason for the highly varied performance across all types of setups.

As far as the game goes I wish there were a few tweaks to further tone down some of the arena shooter carryovers in Blackout.

I think healing is too fast, and there should be an appreciable cooldown. Shootouts at range, particularly in late game, have little consequence other than armor damage because you can step back behind cover and instantly heal between peeking like nothing ever happened. You can't push somebody across open ground because of this. I do like that you can heal while moving.

The wing suit is really cool, but the jump phase at the start of the match is weird. There's very little reason to not jump almost immediately because of the distance you can cover and the speed at which you can do it. This can make group jumps frustrating. You can't afford for somebody to take a moment inspecting the path and choosing a spot. I guess this plays more in to CoDs nature, but I feel like it hurts Blackout.

Inventory management sucks in regards to moving attachments between weapons. I watched a friend play the beta on a console, and for that it works amazingly well, but it's definitely an unnecessary console carryover here. I like that you have a backpack or you don't, and that you operate on slots, and the way ammo is separated out works well too. Does anybody know if you can cycle equipment at the press of a button? I don't like going into inventory to change grenade type, but I didn't notice a bind for cycling equipment.

Audio is weird at times. Standing partway down a hill I can sometimes hear a person on the opposite side as though we were both in a room together at the same elevation with nothing between us. Horizontal positioning generally seems to be good but vertical not so much. Not as much of an issue with gunshots though. Footstep volume needs a little boost.

Overall I like a lot of what distinguishes Blackout from PUBG, but I think some of the mechanics aren't properly balanced for the open map. Interface and control need a little work. Performance needs a lot of work. Apparently Treyarch CoDs have a bad history on PC. Hopefully things will get worked out.

Reactions: Timmah!

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I got the game as well, not for Blackout though, just regular Multiplayer.
Not sure about performance changes post-patch, but i believe map Militia ran at faster FPS pre-patch (in 60s before, now in 50s i would say on average)...on GTX 1080, 3840x1600 res and default (probably full) details.

Regarding gameplay, as expected, the best maps to play TDM are the remade old ones from BO1 - some of the new ones seem to be passable, rest is utter trash. Big, yet feel small, cause divided into multiple interconnected closed spaces or rooms. Terrible map design promoting single play-style - run and gun. Full auto weapons - ARs and SMGs overpowered as usual, having highest firerate alongside very little recoil. Getting any other weapon is just deliberately gimping oneself.

Still having fun though, at least for the time being. Currently trying to max Auger DMR and unlock all its attachments to make it semi-useful. Right now on lvl 15, about to unlock Outlaw sniper to see how much it sucks - seriously, OHK to head only bolt-action sniper in a game as fast as this, with maps like this - no wonder nobody uses it at all. My final goal is then unlocking SDM aka M14 EBR - the ultimate beauty. Shall be more useful than both Auger and Outlaw, being in the middle between them both regarding power and ROF.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I got to agree i think COD may win over more BF fans looking at how meh BF1 is and how bad BF5 may just be.Its why i still play tons of BC2/BF3/BF4. I got this i5 4670/8gb/1070ti deal and at 1080p it just destroys while BF1 just runs like a absolute dog.I know with BF5 this won't change.

I could upgrade the processor and got a thread about that in the cpu section but idk these games now look so meh should i even bother? What cpu does this new COD demand to run smoothly?

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
I purchased Black Ops 4 and promptly returned. I just can't warm up to its graphics compared to BF series, the MP is bleh and I didn't like battle royale. I will be buying BF 5, although I wish the setting was either modern or Sci Fi, not WW 2.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I'm really enjoying this game. I like the gun game mode that just came out. I really like how I can play blackout until I rage, then play various multiplayer modes until I get bored or rage, then some zombies if I'm in the mood. Its really great IMO, and call me crazy, but I like the graphics. Know why? Because it doesn't try to be something it's not. Its a game and it looks like a game with plenty of color saturation and fun graphics. Reminds me of the good old days. I think it looks great and I'm really enjoying this one.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Waiting for a free weekend to try this game out,always done that with every Call of Duty. Hopefully one comes up after i get my i5 8400 and 16gb delivered.