I am wrong, public schools need more money

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I guess you and this idiot don;t know that the fees Harvard charges do NOT cover the cost of running the school. They have a multi-BILLION dollar endowment that usually gets larger each year due to their investment.

But during the economic downturn their endowment lost so much they had to make a lot of cuts.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I guess you and this idiot don;t know that the fees Harvard charges do NOT cover the cost of running the school. They have a multi-BILLION dollar endowment that usually gets larger each year due to their investment.

But during the economic downturn their endowment lost so much they had to make a lot of cuts.

So you are ok with the results that 28k year/head get in the DC school systems. Fair enough...

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

So then what do you believe the Harvard fees are used for?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
So then what do you believe the Harvard fees are used for?

What fees, is what many would ask? Those fees only apply to those that have families that make more then 120k a year. If your family makes less then 120k a year you pay very little or nothing. If you/your family make over 120k but less than 180k you only pay around 10% of what they ask.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Last time I checked, Public schools didn't spend millions on research.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
So you are ok with the results that 28k year/head get in the DC school systems. Fair enough...

Sure if you are dumb enough not to take into account how much wages, property, etc... are in DC.

Its like 2 people making 100k in SF vs Raleigh NC. They make the same but their level of living is very different.

But I doubt an idiot like you can understand that.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Regardless of Harvard, $28K per kid for 9 months is ridiculous.

An Average classroom of 20 works out to more than $500K per classroom. I don't see how that can be justified.

Fern

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Last I checked public schools don;t have patents/business's and billion dollar endowments.

Ya those measly public schools with their government funds can't match up to Harvard's 20 billion endowment... NO wtf are you talking about?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
and in all likelihood, Harvard wouldn't do any better educating them. More money isn't ALWAYS the solution (some schools do in fact need some help), but neither does all the fault lie with the teacher or school.

[innocent voice] If the teachers and schools aren't to blame, then who? You can't blame the children, please don't blame the children!

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Hmmm... instead of comparing the cost per student in the DC public school system to Harvard tuition, why not compare it to something more meaningful like DC private schools?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Ya those measly public schools with their government funds can't match up to Harvard's 20 billion endowment... NO wtf are you talking about?

Are you retarded?

Do you not understand public schools don;t invest money and have patents etc... Harvard does NOT gets its funding from students.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Hmmm... instead of comparing the cost per student in the DC public school system to Harvard tuition, why not compare it to something more meaningful like DC private schools?

Most I know of cost more and they do not bus, have to accept ALL kids of need, etc...

But yea that is a lot better to compare than Harvard.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Sure if you are dumb enough not to take into account how much wages, property, etc... are in DC.

Its like 2 people making 100k in SF vs Raleigh NC. They make the same but their level of living is very different.

But I doubt an idiot like you can understand that.

I fully understand it is expensive in DC, but 28k a year is crazy. That is 700k/year per classroom of 25 kids. Things are not that expensive.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
[innocent voice] If the teachers and schools aren't to blame, then who? You can't blame the children, please don't blame the children!

I blame the parents, but to a larger extent, society as a whole. Many in our culture do not place a high value on education.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I fully understand it is expensive in DC, but 28k a year is crazy. That is 700k/year per classroom of 25 kids. Things are not that expensive.

As pointed out above. Its still cheaper than private schools in DC and those PS's do not bus all kids and have to take ALL kinds of kids.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I blame the parents, but to a larger extent, society as a whole. Many in our culture do not place a high value on education.

It appears a very high value is being placed on education, but we are getting pretty crummy results.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
It appears a very high value is being placed on education, but we are getting pretty crummy results.
So the million dollar question is, would the outcome be different if the same students attended private schools?

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007

I'm assuming you were being sarcastic, so I laughed :)

But....you know, you can throw all the money in the world at a problem and that won't fix the underlying causes.

If you were to pick up Harvard and drop it into D.C., I suspect you would not get substantially better results (or at least not the "Harvard" level you'd expect).

It's about culture.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
So the million dollar question is, would the outcome be different if the same students attended private schools?

I really don't think it'd change a damn thing.

I'd start by fixing poverty, crime, and family structure...then maybe we could make significant dents on inner city education.