I am actually 'scared' when the Reps (esp. Trump) will lose...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
And Reagan was a movie actor. Your point?

And he was a disaster, as well. (See: the current results of his glorious economy. see: documented instances of his treason against the US. see: Reagan allowing AIDS to run rampant and unchecked for years.)

This is funny.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
My comment was absolutely true, no matter how inconvenient that is for your fear mongering. Using objective statistical probabilities, terrorism in first-world Western countries is a negligible cause of death. Unfortunately, Americans suck at math and react to terrorism irrationally, with disproportionate fear ... especially when there are so many self-serving politicians fanning the flames. That's exactly why terrorism works, and that's why Obama spoke last night.

It seems to be you with the reading problem. Kindly show us where I suggested we shouldn't fight ISIS. I just said we need to fight them intelligently instead of stupidly rushing into another multi-trillion dollar ground war (especially since ISIS wants us to stupidly rush into another ground war).

If you're truly concerned about lighting that fuse, the last thing you want is hundreds of thousands of infidel boots on the ground in the Middle East, attacking Islam. That is guaranteed to light the fuse.

Most of those are not in first-world Western countries. The fact remains that deaths due to terrorism are a negligible fraction of all deaths. That does NOT mean we should ignore ISIS or terrorism. It does mean we shouldn't run around like Chicken Little, squawking about the sky falling. We need more smarts and less knee-jerk cowardice. If we blunder in stupidly again like we did in Iraq, we're only going to make things worse again, like Iraq. Let's be smart this time.

If we physically remove them, then we eliminate 90 million people who would otherwise attack. The ideology is stronger than any type of propaganda could ever recruit. To not attack them on the ground because we fear it will increase recruits isn't going to surpass 90 million recruits. It's a numbers game. Defeat them on the ground, you defeat the ideology. Yes, we are damned if we do, damned if we don't. However, showing them that their ideology was a joke all along will put them back in their non-jihadist holes.

I'm the only one proposing solutions here, such as forcing them to take out definitions of jihad from their source texts. You are only bloviating about spreading fear without a proper grip on reality that we have been declared war upon. The recent attacks here are just the beginning. At least France is doing something about it, but of course their situation is much more dire (1 in 10 there are muslim so they actually have numbers). Another 20 years of Democrats and 1 in 10 could be muslim here. Remember this post if that happens.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
And he was a disaster, as well. (See: the current results of his glorious economy. see: documented instances of his treason against the US. see: Reagan allowing AIDS to run rampant and unchecked for years.)

This is funny.

Yup, and he gave amnesty to millions of immigrants. Hilarious for he brain dead conservatives.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
If we physically remove them, then we eliminate 90 million people who would otherwise attack. The ideology is stronger than any type of propaganda could ever recruit. To not attack them on the ground because we fear it will increase recruits isn't going to surpass 90 million recruits. It's a numbers game. Defeat them on the ground, you defeat the ideology. Yes, we are damned if we do, damned if we don't. However, showing them that their ideology was a joke all along will put them back in their non-jihadist holes.

I'm the only one proposing solutions here, such as forcing them to take out definitions of jihad from their source texts. You are only bloviating about spreading fear without a proper grip on reality that we have been declared war upon. The recent attacks here are just the beginning. At least France is doing something about it, but of course their situation is much more dire (1 in 10 there are muslim so they actually have numbers). Another 20 years of Democrats and 1 in 10 could be muslim here. Remember this post if that happens.
Interesting opinions, albeit ones that ignore the lessons of history. I'll tell you what. You go ahead and keep cheering for doing it ISIS' way; I'll keep pushing for a smarter approach. Deal?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Interesting opinions, albeit ones that ignore the lessons of history. I'll tell you what. You go ahead and keep cheering for doing it ISIS' way; I'll keep pushing for a smarter approach. Deal?
Deal. Note, I love all of my fellow Americans including all of you on AT. As much as we may disagree.

I understand that we are trying to train rebel forces to overthrow ISIS on the ground, but I don't think that will work. If we do have to ground game them, then no way we should stay afterward. However, Obama sent more people to Afghanistan after saying he wouldn't - and what is our purpose there after getting OBL? So if this involves more occupation, then not sure it will work. But history could just repeat itself and have another caliphate rise up and claim they are the "one". It would be a lot less believable than ISIS but people will still turn to their source texts on jihad. It'd be better if jihad was just removed.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Im scared that even though the republicans have proved time and time again to be a disaster for non-corporate persons (aka, the meat'n'bones types) that they will pick up more seats in the house and congress as results of their gerrymandering and anti-black/anti-brown voting ID laws.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
But it's not only that I consider Trump a madman, also many of his followers.

And many of these madmen consider spending a trillion dollars a year on welfare for illegals, single moms, and muslim refugees to be mad. Following the Nazi program of disarmament is equally mad.

So you have two groups both claiming the other side is mad. The difference is that I actually have facts and data to back up my assertions and could eviscerate your kind in a debate centered on logic and empirical evidence. Whereas the people on your side rely on wishy washy "feelings" and indoctrination to make your case. There is a reason why more young liberals turn into older conservatives than vice versa.

Nov 30, 2006
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/07/politics/ted-cruz-donald-trump-iowa-poll/index.html

New Iowa poll: Ted Cruz overtakes Donald Trump

Washington (CNN)Ted Cruz has overtaken Donald Trump in Iowa, according to a Monmouth University survey of Iowa Republicans released Monday.

If the caucuses were held today, Cruz would win with 24% support to Trump's 19% backing. Marco Rubio comes in a close third with 17% and Ben Carson, who was beating Trump 32%-18% in the last Monmouth University poll, has fallen to 13% support.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And many of these madmen consider spending a trillion dollars a year on welfare for illegals, single moms, and muslim refugees to be mad. Following the Nazi program of disarmament is equally mad.

So you have two groups both claiming the other side is mad. The difference is that I actually have facts and data to back up my assertions and could eviscerate your kind in a debate centered on logic and empirical evidence. Whereas the people on your side rely on wishy washy "feelings" and indoctrination to make your case. There is a reason why more young liberals turn into older conservatives than vice versa.

It's kind of awesome that you just bragged about having logic and empirical evidence on your side while listing a demonstrably false fact in the same post. Illegal immigrants are not eligible for most of those welfare benefits, and even if you took an expansive view of what constitutes welfare programs, the amount of them that goes to 'illegals, single moms, and muslim refugees' is way less than $1 trillion.

You are consistently one of the worst informed and least logical posters on here, and you're constantly indulging in ridiculous conspiracy theories. I sincerely hope you will back up your assertions with logic and empirical evidence in the future though as that would be a nice change of pace.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

Current welfare benefits cost the US tens of billions per year for a population of 325M. That isn't going to increase much even if all of the illegal population were suddenly legal and drawing on welfare. The fact of the matter is that Welfare is the last place we should be looking to reduce government spending because it's already very lean. It's an easy bait target to keep us distracted from the areas where meaningful cuts could be made.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
if we have 10 million kids here "illegally" in school, then the costs certainly do add up to the billions ...

Some people think that "public school" and "access to parks" and "access to roads" and "library cards" are "welfare programs."

Thus, they make up huge scary numbers, because, they count all "public services" as "welfare" any time a poor person uses it.

Of course the fact is that most poor immigrants do pay some income tax, and, certainly they pay sales tax and likely rent which goes to a landlord who pays property tax ... So, a significant portion of their paltry incomes do go into the public coffers anyhow.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Current welfare benefits cost the US tens of billions per year for a population of 325M. That isn't going to increase much even if all of the illegal population were suddenly legal and drawing on welfare. The fact of the matter is that Welfare is the last place we should be looking to reduce government spending because it's already very lean. It's an easy bait target to keep us distracted from the areas where meaningful cuts could be made.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about every single means tested program as 'welfare', including things like the additional child tax credit, foster care, the job corps, etc. I think he took it directly from this:

http://www.budget.senate.gov/republ...?File_id=34919307-6286-47ab-b114-2fd5bcedfeb5

So basically he's just parroting a press release from several years ago during the financial crisis and uncritically swallowing a partisan source.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Lol, the London blitz was counterproductive in that it took away from bombing Raf airfields. Had they kept to thst they probably would have won the air war.

Which is partly the point behind the carpet bombing, destroy all infrastructure, all revenue, all command centers.

This is what I see from Trump people. Regurgitate his views, then warp details to support them.

People more familiar with military history know the Japanese accepted carpet bombing as part of war. Japanese old men, women and children were ready to resist marines and soldiers on the beaches armed with bamboo spears. Didn't matter that we burned so much of their country, to the people in charge Japan still owned more than a million square miles of the Pacific and surrender just wasn't on the table.

And then we did something monumental. Twice, which changed Japan's arithmetic. Care to guess what it was? Hint: it wasn't carpet bombing.

One wonders if the carpet bombing of Germany was so effective and complete, then why did the 3rd Reich need to be dug out of Berlin in a brutal, bloody campaign of urban warfare?

I can see details like this not mattering for the average intarweb Trump supporter, but these kinds of details are relevant for someone who wants to become the commander in chief of the military.

Nov 30, 2006
This is what I see from Trump people. Regurgitate his views, then warp details to support them.

People more familiar with military history know the Japanese accepted carpet bombing as part of war. Japanese old men, women and children were ready to resist marines and soldiers on the beaches armed with bamboo spears. Didn't matter that we burned so much of their country, to the people in charge Japan still owned more than a million square miles of the Pacific and surrender just wasn't on the table.

And then we did something monumental. Twice, which changed Japan's arithmetic. Care to guess what it was? Hint: it wasn't carpet bombing.

One wonders if the carpet bombing of Germany was so effective and complete, then why did the 3rd Reich need to be dug out of Berlin in a brutal, bloody campaign of urban warfare?

I can see details like this not mattering for the average intarweb Trump supporter, but these kinds of details are relevant for someone who wants to become the commander in chief of the military.
Did Obama have a good understanding of such matters when he took office?

Feb 19, 2001
Did Obama have a good understanding of such matters when he took office?
I'd argue he had some understanding, but your average Obama supporter figured that if we ended the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, all would be happy again.

I mean honestly the troop pull-out was already happening under Bush and at some point we were getting out, but just like some are saying that things aren't as simple as they look neither is ending a war.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
And Reagan was a movie actor. Your point?

Clearly you are brain dead. He was the second worst President in the last 40 years. What do you call a guy who gives weapons to terrorists and Islamic fundamentalists.

What do you call Iran Contra?

And lets not even forget how many people died of HIV/ Aids and he didn't even give funding to the CDC to combat it.

In contrast you can look at how Obama handled Ebola.

Seriously conservatives who love Reagan are numb nuts who ignore the facts.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The Republicans need to tell us how they would come up with the 1$ to $2 billion per week it will cost to prosecute a full on ground war against ISIS. They can either raise taxes, or borrow it from the Chinese. There really isn't any other choice.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The Republicans need to tell us how they would come up with the 1$ to $2 billion per week it will cost to prosecute a full on ground war against ISIS. They can either raise taxes, or borrow it from the Chinese. There really isn't any other choice.

Silly, just like the last time keep it "off" the books...