I am a smoker, the BBQ type.

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Ribs, 3-4 hours at 220-230 just hanging in a smoker, will be dry at least, every time I've done them they are. I can cut the time to less than half doing it in a pressure cooker and then smoker as well or grill as suggested, although, I'm not sure how much smoke will get absorbed on a grill. Pork and apple go great together, I see no problem here. Tender, juicy apple smoked ribs. Sounds good to me.
220-230 F is too low temp for 3-4 hours. It's going to take 6+ hours at that temp if you don't wrap. I like to cook ribs at 275-325 F range. I can cook thinner ribs in 2.5-3 hours at that temp and 3-4 hours for thicker ribs without wrapping. I've never had dry ribs via hanging. I just think hanging is superior method for cooking ribs vs placing it on the grate. You can fit more into smaller space if you hang and the fat drippings running down the length of the ribs keeps the ribs moist without any need for wrap.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I think mine only took 3.5 hours @ 225. They were obviously quite thin though. Also pellet grill convection oven effect might speed things up?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I think mine only took 3.5 hours @ 225. They were obviously quite thin though. Also pellet grill convection oven effect might speed things up?
I think certain type cookers just cook faster at same or similar temperature. I swear things cook lot faster on my Big Kamado Joe than on WSM.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
220-230 F is too low temp for 3-4 hours. It's going to take 6+ hours at that temp if you don't wrap. I like to cook ribs at 275-325 F range. I can cook thinner ribs in 2.5-3 hours at that temp and 3-4 hours for thicker ribs without wrapping. I've never had dry ribs via hanging. I just think hanging is superior method for cooking ribs vs placing it on the grate. You can fit more into smaller space if you hang and the fat drippings running down the length of the ribs keeps the ribs moist without any need for wrap.
Do you use a water pan?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think certain type cookers just cook faster at same or similar temperature. I swear things cook lot faster on my Big Kamado Joe than on WSM.
I just cleaned out my Kamado Joe and replaced gasket. My ribs were done in 3 hours instead of 4 @260-275.

Got a hairline crack in inner chamber when lifted out still good. My heat deflector broke completely on one half. Will email KJ to get warranty replacement for that

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

With my pizza-making adventures, I've learned more about radiant/infrared heat, how different materials absorb/retain heat, etc. Kamado grills do really amazing things with heat retention. I'm a big fan of Baking Steels (I use them for oven/grill/cooktop use), cast-iron (skillets & dutch ovens), and aluminum bakeware. I recently picked up a 14-gauge Fat Daddio 9x13" pan and it makes a HUGE difference in how stuff like brownies come out.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Do you use a water pan?
I use empty water pan as deflector shield. I put the cooking grate on top of the charcoal basket ring and place the empty water pan on that. The water pan collects the grease drippings and prevents it from dropping and burning on the coal.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
ok, so I finally got feded up dedicating a day to babysit a firebox. so I bit the bullet and bought one of these. should have it in 7-10 days.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind/w...f-sg-woodwind-pellet-grill-with-sear-box.html

Camp-Chef-Woodwind-Pellet-Grill.jpg

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Oh my gosh. Someone invented a residential pressure smoker. $4,000: (that's four thousand, folks)

https://www.k-rigg.com/

Operates at 10 PSI. Uses a 4-cycle pull-start engine. Looks like it has 3 fuel sources:

1. "Simply add a couple wood chips to the bottom of the Inner pressure chamber for your desired smoke level"
2. "A high volume gas (propane) burner that heats the pressure chamber allows the smoker to be ready to use in 15 minutes."
3. "Propane Pressure Generator Engine: The pressure generator engine is used to pressure the inner chamber when ready to cook. The engine raises the internal pressure chamber to cooking pressure in seconds."

OK, so 15-minute preheat time, a couple of wood chips, and nearly instant pressurization. 4-hour ribs take 30 minutes. A 5-pound chicken fully smoked to 165F internal temp in 45 minutes. Brisket is 2.5 hours smoked to 205F. That's bananas! I'd be curious to taste-test the results...

36333941_788833964838774_4764280674536390656_o.jpg

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Bark formation has gotta suck tho right? Would think you could still get good smoke flavor from the pressure tho.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Because of ponyo I picked up a pellet smoker. Made ribs last week and gonna throw a prime packer brisket on tomorrow. Gonna try 250 for however long no wrap.

Reactions: ponyo

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Because of ponyo I picked up a pellet smoker. Made ribs last week and gonna throw a prime packer brisket on tomorrow. Gonna try 250 for however long no wrap.
Nice! Which pellet smoker did you buy? I would love to add pellet smoker. One of these days I'll bite the bullet and get something like Assassin.

I haven't posted here much but I'm still grilling and smoking regularly. I have couple butts and ribs in the fridge I need to smoke. Here's twice smoked ham I cooked on the Big Joe couple days ago.

mHjUY7V.jpg

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Picked up a Pit Boss for a deal! Was down to $175. Smoked brisket and ribs and they came out amazing! Did some wings but the skin came out rubbery...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
today I tried a reverse sear on m some beautiful NY Strip steaks. I smoked them until the temp was at 120 them put them on the 900 degree sear box. 2 min on each side. fucking perfection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luna1968

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Picked up a Pit Boss for a deal! Was down to $175. Smoked brisket and ribs and they came out amazing! Did some wings but the skin came out rubbery...
$175? Yeah, that's a deal. As for wings, what temperature did you cook at? If you want crispy skin, you have to crank up the heat and cook it at high temperature. You can also sprinkle some cornstarch on the wings before you cook to draw out the moisture. I loved smoked wings and I find the kettle is the best cooker for smoked wings. Just cook it indirect with chimney full of lit charcoal in the center and place your wings around the coal. Leave the top and bottom vents fully open and cook it for about 50-60 minutes. You should end up with really crispy grilled wings.
O8gJOs0.jpg

qUF5myK.jpg

Reactions: TeeJay1952

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
today I tried a reverse sear on m some beautiful NY Strip steaks. I smoked them until the temp was at 120 them put them on the 900 degree sear box. 2 min on each side. fucking perfection.

That's interesting pellet smoker with gas searing station on the side. Haven't seen that yet but it makes sense. So how do you like the cooker? About how much pellet do you burn per hour? 1 lb? 2 lb?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
That's interesting pellet smoker with gas searing station on the side. Haven't seen that yet but it makes sense. So how do you like the cooker? About how much pellet do you burn per hour? 1 lb? 2 lb?
I love it. It's a camp chef woodwind. The sear box is what sets it apart from the others. One friend of mine has a treager and another a Rectec. Both are great smokers but they cannot sear like the camp chef sear box can. My two friends wish their smokers had it.

I'm not sure about pellet burn. About the same as others I guess.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'm really enjoying this kamado smoker I picked up a couple weeks ago. It does everything and does it very very well. From burgers and brats to ribs, to pulled pork, to pizza. I made wings the other day. Smoked them at 220 for awhile, then cranked up the heat by opening the bottom and top vent, and crisped them super easily at 600 degrees. The ability to quickly go from 200 degrees to 700 degrees cannot be understated and then back down to 200 easily by just closing off vents.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'm really enjoying this kamado smoker I picked up a couple weeks ago. It does everything and does it very very well. From burgers and brats to ribs, to pulled pork, to pizza. I made wings the other day. Smoked them at 220 for awhile, then cranked up the heat by opening the bottom and top vent, and crisped them super easily at 600 degrees. The ability to quickly go from 200 degrees to 700 degrees cannot be understated and then back down to 200 easily by just closing off vents.

Kamados are awesome! I'm jealous...my current rental prohibits charcoal :(

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I love it. It's a camp chef woodwind. The sear box is what sets it apart from the others. One friend of mine has a treager and another a Rectec. Both are great smokers but they cannot sear like the camp chef sear box can. My two friends wish their smokers had it.

I'm not sure about pellet burn. About the same as others I guess.
You said the boston butt took 19 hours. Did you have to add any pellets during the cook? The classic version of that grill is supposed to have 18 lb pellet hopper. I'm just curious about the burn rate because pellet cost is one of major con of pellet smokers.

Kamados are great. But once you overshoot the temp, it's hard to bring the temps back down because it's so insulated and efficient. It takes forever to cool a kamado. My Big Joe can take over 24 hours to cool off after a cook. It's insane.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I finally picked up Aaron Franklin's book. The hardcover is on sale for less than $12 on Amazon. My copy arrived today and after 5 minutes I already learned couple things I want to try on my next cook.

uxkyXzq.jpg

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I finally picked up Aaron Franklin's book. The hardcover is on sale for less than $12 on Amazon. My copy arrived today and after 5 minutes I already learned couple things I want to try on my next cook.

uxkyXzq.jpg
what did you learn?