I accidentally pulled in to a handicap parking spot *UPDATED Feb 1*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
The cop was obviously being an ass just because he could. Cops do that all the time. You're lucky you didn't get tazed for trying to explain yourself. Everyone knows this.

weflyhigh

Jan 1, 2007
I don't know if anyone remembers, but I got robbed twice this summer while delivering pizza. After the first one and before the second, I continued to deliver in the shithole of America (Chester). One order was to an apartment complex in a really crummy area Yright before the border to the too dangerous area). I wanted ti get in and out of there fast so I found the building and parked in the first spot. It was handicap and maybe my first time ever parking in one but I was svared so I did. I get up out of my car with the pizzas and sodas and then BAM a cop is behind me. He stops so I hope back into my car and move it about 10 spots over and get out again.

he stares at me the whole way into the building but didn't do anything. Just sat there. Well it took me FOREVER to find the room Ybasement... Off to the side real weirdU. No tip. I leave and as I'm leaving the cop is walking in with his gun basically ready. He saw me and was happy _ he thought I had died or something haha. I told him thanks for staying around to make sure I was safe. He said a kid had been robbed mot too long ago. I was like lol that was me. We laughed and then I was like I gtg I'm scared as fuck sitting here alone talking to a cop surrounded by 2000 poor black oeople. Then I left

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'd fight it. With a history of only 1 ticket and that being over a decade ago you might be able to get out of it. Take the pictures with you, request the dash cam footage if available.

Lizardman

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
That parking space is not marked correctly. Your ticket should be nullifed, fight it. The parking space needs to be outlined in blue (blue lines instead of white). Clearly from your pictures the lines are white. So that is not a handicapped parking space according to the law, only a courtesy parking space.

To be 100% sure tell us what state this was in, but I am pretty sure you are in the right.

Lizardman

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
....We laughed and then I was like I gtg I'm scared as fuck sitting here alone talking to a cop surrounded by 2000 poor black oeople. Then I left

I feel your pain. I live in upstate DE and some areas of Wilmington are like that. Also when I have to take a detour off of I-95 to aviod traffic I have the pleasure of driving through that area.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
reason is simple.....city and state need money. If they even have the slightest possible reason to give you a ticket, they will do it. Just fight it.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
What a joke. Really glad some cops spend their days treating civilians like 5 year olds.

The whole idea of tickets generating revenue is absolutely ridiculous. What if everyone stopped speeding and stopped traffic violations? What would towns do?!?!?

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Yeah that's pretty crappy. I've done this myself when it was dark. Fortunately there was a person standing there that pointed out the sign when I got out of the car. I completely missed it. It makes you feel like a world class ass too. The spot I did it in was basically set up the same way this one was.

I think they should be required to paint the handicap symbol on the pavement in addition to the sign because the tiny ass sign is way less obvious than a big ass painted logo on the ground. They mark them very clearly at the malls and supermarket with signs and painted pavement.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Should have told him you were turning around. Tell this to the judge. You pulled in to make a three point turn, the cop pulled in behind you and kept you from leaving.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Definitely fight it. You will have to take 2 days off of work (or school) though.

Tell the judge (or prosecutor) your honest story.
The arresting officer will give his side of the story, and if he doesn't lie, the judge might let you off.

In my experience, going to court always lowers your fine, or at least the points on your license.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Tell the DA and the judge your story. This is one time where I think it might work, if you are telling us the truth. It's reasonable that you could not see that the spot was handicapped until you pulled in.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Take those pics to court. The erect sign is not visible and there is no blue colored marker lines on the pavement. In most states, if there is not a sign displayed at least 4 ft. off the ground it's not a valid handicap spot.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
What a joke. Really glad some cops spend their days treating civilians like 5 year olds.

The whole idea of tickets generating revenue is absolutely ridiculous. What if everyone stopped speeding and stopped traffic violations? What would towns do?!?!?

What if we transported all goods sending them across a frictionless plane?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Do you think the court would side with him? I totally agree about the principle of fighting it...but what are his chances?

It's worth a shot - a good judge should throw it out. Keep in mind judges are all different...

The cop blocked you in? What kind of shit is that? Sounds like he was trying to make a quota...

A quota? For a parking ticket?

Are you serious?

We don't get a dime from traffic violations here, thank you very much.

Should have told him you were turning around. Tell this to the judge. You pulled in to make a three point turn, the cop pulled in behind you and kept you from leaving.

So lying under oath is better than honesty now?

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
So lying under oath is better than honesty now?

He literally WAS doing a 3-point turn, he pulled in, realized it was a handicap and decided to pull out, only to be blocked by the police.

Don't cry for me, Argentinaaa!!

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
He literally WAS doing a 3-point turn, he pulled in, realized it was a handicap and decided to pull out, only to be blocked by the police.

Don't cry for me, Argentinaaa!!

that was not the OP's intent.