I accidentally pulled in to a handicap parking spot *UPDATED Feb 1*

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
I immediately started pulling out and a cop came behind me to block me in. $300 ticket for me. I am pissed at myself for pulling in to the spot in the first place, but it was an honest mistake.

Here's the view from my car of the handicap spot from the angle I pulled in to the spot. This Yukon parked next to the spot has heavily tinted windows and I couldn't see through them to see the sign behind it. The spot is just to the right of the Yukon if it wasn't already clear.
img1475custom.jpg

Here's a picture from across the street. There's two handicap spots in front of an abandoned store that has no lights on. They're pretty hard to see in that photo.

img1468custom.jpg

I feel really bad that it's going to be on my record...I seriously accidentally pulled in to the spot and tried to back out as soon as I pulled in, simple as that.

*EDIT*
Here's the spot during the day. Obviously much easier to see with the day light...

There's no blue lines/curb, but I'm not sure if that is required.

img1517custom.jpg

---EDIT Jan 11---
Spoke with several officers about the above situation. I was surprised to hear that it's extremely rare for a person to get a ticket for the above if they're still in the car. As nice as it is to hear their responses and gain their support, this does not aid my appeal process. I will begin write my appeal in the coming days and hope it does not fall on deaf ears.

---EDIT Feb 1---
Sent in a 1 page letter, 3 pictures of the sight of the citation, and a diagram. I will hear back in 6 to 8 weeks. Here's hoping!

---EDIT Feb 27---
Got a call from the local PD. My appeal went through and I've been cleared of the ticket. Woo!

Last edited:

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
perhaps next time drive with your eyes open?

Oh please. I've had 1 ticket my whole life, and that was when I was 16, over 10 years ago, for a silly reason in itself. I'm very cautious, I seriously just couldn't see the spot from the angle I was at.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow that's pretty bad, I did not figure they could even ticket if you're still in the car. Technically you're not parked until the car is stopped.

I don't understand handicap spots sometimes though. They are often in places that make no sense. For example at one of our arenas there is like 8 of them. Seriously, what are the odds that 8 people in wheelchairs come to watch a hockey game? They can't even see over the boards! Not to be mean or anything, but it's true lol.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
he could not see through the yukon parked next to the handicapped spot.

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
If you tried to explain you couldnt see out your tinted windows, you're lucky the cop didn't impound the vehicle for being undrivable.

Huh? The previously parked Yukon was blocking my view of the spot, which is I pulled in to it without knowing it was handicap.

What are you talking about? You think I was driving the Yukon?

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
Wow that's pretty bad, I did not figure they could even ticket if you're still in the car. Technically you're not parked until the car is stopped.

I don't understand handicap spots sometimes though. They are often in places that make no sense. For example at one of our arenas there is like 8 of them. Seriously, what are the odds that 8 people in wheelchairs come to watch a hockey game? They can't even see over the boards! Not to be mean or anything, but it's true lol.

He said that I was blocking the spot - whether I'm in the car or not was sufficient enough for him to give me the ticket.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
OP - if your account is 100% accurate, IMHO that's worth fighting. Spirit of law vs letter of law.

Explain to me how one would pull into a parking spot and begin backing out without stopping.

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
OP - if your account is 100% accurate, IMHO that's worth fighting. Spirit of law vs letter of law.

Explain to me how one would pull into a parking spot and begin backing out without stopping.

I swear it is 100% true. I backed up so quickly that the car was still moving backwards as he pulled up.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

From the way he explains it, sounds like he started pulling in, noticed the sign, put it in reverse to back out. He only would of had to use the brake and stop to shift to reverse, but never shut off the ignition.

In fact in very tight parking lots I've "parked" in a handi spot just so I can turn the car around to the spot I want to go in. I really don't see how this should be finable. I don't know what the law says but to me parking means the car is stopped and is not actively in a position to move. (ex: running, with a driver in it).

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
From the way he explains it, sounds like he started pulling in, noticed the sign, put it in reverse to back out. He only would of had to use the brake and stop to shift to reverse, but never shut off the ignition.

In fact in very tight parking lots I've "parked" in a handi spot just so I can turn the car around to the spot I want to go in. I really don't see how this should be finable. I don't know what the law says but to me parking means the car is stopped and is not actively in a position to move. (ex: running, with a driver in it).

I disagree with your interpretation. If you're in a handicap spot, a fire lane, etc, and your vehicle doesn't meet the required criteria, you're in violation. I think they just revised our handicap parking signs to specify no stopping/standing without handicap placard/etc.

I could see how the OP would make that mistake. Based solely upon the information present in the OP, I don't think I would've written it. That's me, though..obviously others disagree. As I said earlier, spirit vs letter of law.

should have rammed his ass. but yeah i would fight it.

You're not very bright. :p

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
If it is what you say, then subpoena the dashcam and just fight it.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Seriously, fight it. It's going to be your word against his, but you've got to try.

Isn't it usually the case that if you're going to contest it the cop has to come in and give his side? Even if the judge makes you pay the doofus might think twice before handing out another BS ticket lest he have to mess with the courts again.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Its not like he parked, got out and came back a bit later and said oh shit. He went in and saw it right away and tried to back out. I'd try to fight that one as well.

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
The cop blocked you in? What kind of shit is that? Sounds like he was trying to make a quota...

Feb 19, 2001
I swear it is 100% true. I backed up so quickly that the car was still moving backwards as he pulled up.

fight it. Iwould write to my local news paper which has an awesome column named Mr. Roadshow. I'd make it heard and usually they give you tips about how to go about fighting, and might even get a few words through for you so you get off...

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

Do you think the court would side with him? I totally agree about the principle of fighting it...but what are his chances?

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Fight it!
For once a thread posted on this forum where I believe that the officer was not doing something right