hypothetical: nvidia in a console -> more physX titles?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
One of my thoughts was that it would benefit nvidia's sales of video cards if more physX titles emerged.

But another interesting discussion would be more general about next generations consoles ability to do compute (more advanced physics), tessellation etc. and how that would affect gaming PC hardware, irregardless of vendors.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Would say if more GPU Physic content was offered would offer more value to PhysX, GeForce and nVidia but tough to gauge how much of a percentage sales would improve, if at all. They already have impressive market share numbers, revenue and profits.

nVidia has mentioned, a few times, that they feel what was holding back adoption was the tool sets -- will see what 2013 and 2014 bring to the table to see if there are any improvements in adoption considering SDK 3.0+ is out now.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
One of my thoughts was that it would benefit nvidia's sales of video cards if more physX titles emerged.

Of course it would...but which dev is going to spend the time and money to implement gpu physx if 40-50% of the gamers can't use it? That is why nV provides the resources for implementing physx, and I have no problem with them doing that personally.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Imho,

Especially improvements in game-play interaction and redefining the experience -- may be the holy grail of physics -- probably not going to see this jump 'till the players agree. The potential is there just that corporate positioning, competitive advantages, politics and leveraging are the obstacles to overcome!

Siberian

Jul 10, 2012
With AMDs marketshare rapidly shrinking. Hopefully more games will make use of PHYSX. It's like game development has been crippled by the lowest common denominator.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
With AMDs marketshare rapidly shrinking. Hopefully more games will make use of PHYSX. It's like game development has been crippled by the lowest common denominator.

Does your mental function operate outside of Nvidia vs. AMD? I'm just curious.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Why would you blame AMD for the current state of PhysX? Seems to me if your unhappy then you should complain to Nvidia about the lack of titles, the massive fps hits, etc....It is their red headed step child after all.

The lowest common denominator is Intel Integrated Graphics!

Game developers make games to sell which in turn makes them money. The larger the target market the more potential money they can make. If they were to require PhysX then they would most likely loose 50% or more of their targeted market. Believe it or not people game on crappy integrated graphics also. Some people casual game on laptops also which wouldn't work out too good if PhysX was a must have to play the game.

I can understand your frustration about PhysX somewhat. It's one of the features that drive Nvidias sales even tho you may never get to use it. Kinda like buying a motherboard that can SLI just in case.

PhysX on a console wouldn't be bad at all as the hardware is fixed....Porting the games to the PC wouldn't be so easy tho. One of those damn I shot myself in the foot things as not everybody is gonna have the capability to use PhysX....In it's current state!

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Like the feature or loathe the PhysX feature sure is a lightning rod discussion point!

omeds

Dec 14, 2011

Yeh I somewhat agree, but even more so I can't wait for a common open standard to become the norm so we can have great physics in all games, atm PhsyX's proprietary nature and AMD's lack of progress in this area means most games are stuck with crappy, rigid enviroments.

Siberian

Jul 10, 2012
Yeh I somewhat agree, but even more so I can't wait for a common open standard to become the norm so we can have great physics in all games, atm PhsyX's proprietary nature and AMD's lack of progress in this area means most games are stuck with crappy, rigid enviroments.
I just want better games. I don't care who does it. If Apple or Samsung or whoever put out a better gaming platform I would be all over it.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Around 8 of my friends have been playing BL2 and we all have put PhysX Low as its an over the top visual hindrance even on medium, the particles and debris flying through the air did look good but it got in the way of the gameplay.

Same happened with DarkVold, a father had it on his young sons console and the father also had it on his PC with PhysX and when the son tried it on the PC he said said what's that can i turn it off because he cant see.

I had already seen videos of the game and thought the same thing that i would turn it off even before i read that story.

Now! give me what was in CellFactor because that's was real PhysX and is the only title that i would buy because of the PhysX.

Last edited:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

No, the lowest common denominator is consoles.
Which is what this entire thread was about at the start.

Also I don't see how PhysX in current state is holding back game development. Graphics are not being held back because of a lack of PhysX when you have, as I already mentioned, consoles.

If you are talking about core gameplay, PhysX is holding that back as much as anything else through its focus on non-gameplay physics. But this is also held back by consoles, which can't handle that much complex physics, CPU or GPU, and are holding things back.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Around 8 of my friends have been playing BL2 and we all have put PhysX Low as its an over the top visual hindrance even on medium, the particles and debris flying through the air did look good but it got in the way of the gameplay.

Same happened with DarkVold, a father had it on his young sons console and the father also had it on his PC with PhysX and when the son tried it on the PC he said said what's that can i turn it off because he cant see.

I had already seen videos of the game and thought the same thing that i would turn it off even before i read that story.

Now! give me what was in CellFactor because that's was real PhysX and is the only title that i would buy because of the PhysX.

Simply false. I've been playing BL2 with a GTX460 and an 8800GT for PhysX.
PhysX on HIGH. 19x12.

My son plays BL2 with just a 560Ti. PhysX HIGH. same res.

I can't get over this BS about PhysX being an over the top visual hinderence and the flying debris and rocks are part of the gameplay, not in the way of the gameplay.

Reeeediculous.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Especially BL2 which is over the top itself. It's simply cool to blow stuff up and actually see the results, effect fireworks and after you're done a lot of debris. Who doesn't see that, probably plays with everything on low so they can concentrate on the gameplay :D

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Especially BL2 which is over the top itself. It's simply cool to blow stuff up and actually see the results, effect fireworks and after you're done a lot of debris. Who doesn't see that, probably plays with everything on low so they can concentrate on the gameplay :D

Exactly. Especially multiplayer where people want 100+ fps to have the advantage or at least equal playing field. I can see disabling all eye candy and effects. People would play in DX7 if they could and get 500+ fps.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
PhysX on HIGH. 19x12.

I can't get over this BS about PhysX being an over the top visual hinderence and the flying debris and rocks are part of the gameplay, not in the way of the gameplay.

Reeeediculous.

Nothing false about it and another example of some NV users not able to accept that others have different tastes to themselves.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007

Exactly!
We were fud up with fighting for our life's because we are not getting clear shots with all the stuff flying around which does not hinder the A.I at all.

And that take me back to my comment about CellFactor because it effects everyone, so it can be used to my advantage at times.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Nothing false about it and another example of some NV users not able to accept that others have different tastes to themselves.

Of course it's false and I've just fairly recently told you why I know this.
Reeeediculous^2

"We were fud up with fighting for our life's because we are not getting clear shots with all the stuff flying around which does not hinder the A.I at all."

Really? Ok forum goers, raise of hands for how many times PhsyX effects kept you from playing the game.
Give me a break. Sad.

Last edited:

NIGELG

Nov 4, 2009
PhysX on HIGH. 19x12.

Reeeediculous.
Nice...someone's subjective opinion that does not gel with your Nvidia worshipping agenda is deemed a liar and spouts 'BS'.

Face it man not everyone is obligated to love and be impressed by PhysX or Nvidia.

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
Of course it's false and I've just fairly recently told you why I know this.
Reeeediculous^2

"We were fud up with fighting for our life's because we are not getting clear shots with all the stuff flying around which does not hinder the A.I at all."

Really? Ok forum goers, raise of hands for how many times PhsyX effects kept you from playing the game.
Give me a break. Sad.

Your Arrogance knows no bounds.