Hybrid physx (ati and nvidia card in same box) hilarity!

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Have you guys seen this yet?

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100422/hybrid-physx-patch-1-03-with-reverse-gravity-timebomb-fix/

Evidently, from the sounds of the article, Nvidia put a "bug" in their drivers to screw with the people using the hacked stuff to enable a nvidia card to be used alongside an ATI card for PhysX. . .

Though the article doesn't provide much proof that this is intentional or anything, it's probably safe to assume that it is...

It may be "unprofessional" but it's also absolutely hilarious imho lol.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Have you guys seen this yet?

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100422/hybrid-physx-patch-1-03-with-reverse-gravity-timebomb-fix/

Evidently, from the sounds of the article, Nvidia put a "bug" in their drivers to screw with the people using the hacked stuff to enable a nvidia card to be used alongside an ATI card for PhysX. . .

Though the article doesn't provide much proof that this is intentional or anything, it's probably safe to assume that it is...

It may be "unprofessional" but it's also absolutely hilarious imho lol.

Why do people with ATI cards want to use physx when they say it sucks so bad?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
So people with a Nvidia card kept it and bought a ATI card for their primary card.
Why not just sell the Nvidia card? Thats what I did.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
So people with a Nvidia card kept it and bought a ATI card for their primary card.
Why not just sell the Nvidia card? Thats what I did.

Or, why not expect a product you paid for shouldn't have a timebomb in the driver and that you might be able to use it for one of the advertised functions that may have influenced your decision to purchase it to start?

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Or, why not expect a product you paid for shouldn't have a timebomb in the driver and that you might be able to use it for one of the advertised functions that may have influenced your decision to purchase it to start?

It's called protecting your investment. :)
No one wants the competition using there hard work for free now do they?
Be funny if they made the ATI hackers cards overheat and die. Thieves! :D

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Sigh now now lets not turn this into an ati vs nvidia flame war ^_^. You gotta admit there is some hilarity here---the girl in the demo's skirt blowing up...it's like if you use physx in a system with an ati card, nvidia loves you SO MUCH that:

THEY GIVE YOU FREE MARILYN MONROE MODE! Yeah!

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

They arent letting the competition use their hard work, they are stopping the customer from fully using the product they were sold. It souldnt matter what combination you team that physx capable card to, it should provide physx capability.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Sigh now now lets not turn this into an ati vs nvidia flame war ^_^. You gotta admit there is some hilarity here---the girl in the demo's skirt blowing up...it's like if you use physx in a system with an ati card, nvidia loves you SO MUCH that:

THEY GIVE YOU FREE MARILYN MONROE MODE! Yeah!

I thought it was rather funny also.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
They arent letting the competition use their hard work, they are stopping the customer from fully using the product they were sold. It souldnt matter what combination you team that physx capable card to, it should provide physx capability.

That's the way I see it also.

I'm still trying to figure out the " protect the investment " other guy's " using there hard work for free " in defense for nvidia.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

That makes zero sense. If ATI came out with a card that was twice as fast at rendering graphics and twice as cheap (and less power, noise, heat, etc) as anything from nVidia, you'd be a fool to buy an nVidia card for rendering graphics.

However ATI cards cannot (or aren't allowed to) render PhysX, so even if ATI had such an uber video card, there would still be a reason to have an nVidia card in your gaming system, even if PhysX is the only thing it is doing.

Its not letting ATI use it for free, users still have to purchase an nVidia product to use it.

Last edited:

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Personally I think this is even better. I may not notice whether physx is on or not, but if skirts and hair suddenly started floating that would be very noticable. It'd be fun to get hybrid physx just to see how reverse gravity would influence game play.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Can I use an NVIDIA GPU as a PhysX processor and a non-NVIDIA GPU for regular display graphics?
No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_faq.html#q8

Oh rly? Total BS. It works fine without the sabotaged drivers.

If I buy a card for physx/cuda, nvidia still gets my money, but nooo, that's not good enough. You need to buy another nvidia card as primary otherwise you get nothing. It's all green or all red.

They're not trying to protect anything, just screwing consumers. This is 100% nvidia greed.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
This looks like a good chance at a class action suit. If someone wants to get the ball rolling I'll sign up.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This looks like a good chance at a class action suit. If someone wants to get the ball rolling I'll sign up.

I was thinking the same thing. We have all seen class action suit's for some pretty dumb reasons. This might actually be a legitimate one.

Hmm....Where is the EU when you need them. I'm sure if anything is there they will be the first to initiate something :)

I was thinking about getting a nvidia card for physX just for the hell of it....But decided against it just for this reason alone! Hell if the bastards weren't so gready they would have most likely got about $125 or so revenue from me!

Last edited:

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
This is funny because it will cement PhysX as something you can't use for actual gameplay purposes. Imagine playing a multiplayer game with no dedicated servers with this stuff happening.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

No it's called never going to be adopted by everyone except Nvidia partners. As long as they keep it on only Nvidia cards, it'll never take off and it hasn't. Also it's not like they're actually putting any time to help create any games that actually use it in any meaningful way other than some smoke or cloth here and there.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
And people wonder why Nvidia gets so much bad rap... seems like they bring it on themselves. As funny as this is, it really highlights Nvidia's anti-competitive side.

Last edited:

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Why do people with ATI cards want to use physx when they say it sucks so bad?

The Red team always said that physx is irrelevant at least with today games, whilst the green team said that nothing compares even remotely with physx.

I personally have yet to see what it really brings to the table and I would probably never bother with it, but I can understand why people might have a run at it, even for the sake of hacking the rule.

It does seem a bit greedy for Nvidia to dismiss the feature on their own cards whenever ATI rendering is in place and for this reason alone I wouldn't consider going green again. What's the point of listing 100 features next to a hefty price tag, if some of those features are conditioned upon using it as primary card or alongside another Nvidia card-usually with more muscle(read more money). I hate monopoly, but, bottom line is that physx is still not high enough in the books to worth mentioning, let alone being bothered by not being able to run it.