Hurricane Ian

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Wish we had a weather forum.

Currently a Cat.3 will make a run for Cat. 4 sense it is almost there. Cat. 5 not out of question.

Storm Surge in my opinion could be as bad as Hurricane Katrina :(

If I was in Tampa along the coast I would get out now. Even yesterday or 2 days ago might of been better because of traffic.

Anyone live in Tampa, FL here ?

Ian.jpg

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, looks bad. I have a friend in New Port Richey I have been talking to. He's going to stay home. I would probably want to get out of there personally.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
He might be ok. Depends on how north the storm goes before it makes landfall.

Will definitely get tropical storm force winds to hurricane gusts. If not hurricane sustain force winds. Will definitely lose power.

Storm surge not sure.

Worst case is a direct hit to Tampa, FL with a storm surge coming up the bay. :( I hope that does not happen. If it does it will be Tampa's Katina most likely.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Ok.

Hopefully he has a boat for an emergency.

Do you know if he has reliable cellular service too or a generator to keep his home internet working ?
Yes, he has a boat. Not sure about a generator. He has an old school bus made into a camper where he plans on staying. He said something about how it's like a faraday cage, so should be ok as far as lightning strikes. Kind of a crazy guy but pretty smart. He made it through quite a few hurricanes in the past.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Yes, he has a boat. Not sure about a generator. He has an old school bus made into a camper where he plans on staying. He said something about how it's like a faraday cage, so should be ok as far as lightning strikes. Kind of a crazy guy but pretty smart. He made it through quite a few hurricanes in the past.

Well I am glad he has a boat.

He may need it.

Reactions: stargazr

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Here is the rainfall total prediction from the storm.

If it checks out or becomes true Tampa is in for a hurting :(

rainfall total from Ian.jpg

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Thankfully the highest storm surge will be south of Tampa maybe.

Big maybe.

All depends on the track of the storm.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What is the point in staying if there is a chance you will lose electricity, water, internet, A/C etc for multiple days?
I suppose only the possibilities of protecting your property and people in your community if you are pretty confident the inconveniences won't be overwhelming. For that, the storm surge would have to be something that won't effect you that much (higher ground).

I spent 2 days in Tampa 20 years ago. Wonder if this is gonna much affect the Buckaneers.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Just in case it moves as predicted across FL and goes up the coast of South Carolina. I gassed up our vehicles, topped off the LP Gas, cleared the yard. Checked our emergency food supplies all good. Started and test ran the power generator and made sure we had ample gasoline for it.

I don't think we will need it but it would suck not to be ready just in case.

Reactions: Number1

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
For awhile the center of the projected path was headed right towards Tallahassee. So we spent Sunday gassing up cars, getting any necessary foodstuffs, getting cash, etc. Since then the models keep moving farther and farther east and now it looks as if we will skate with not much wind or rain. So grateful for that and still hoping the more southern regions can escape at least some of the predictions I've been reading. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: pcgeek11

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
What is the point in staying if there is a chance you will lose electricity, water, internet, A/C etc for multiple days?

The last serious hurricane we had resulted in 3-4 days with no electricity. Cell phone towers were still functioning, so internet through the phone was available. Water wasn't interrupted either. Just kept having to go to the grocery store (they had generator power) for ice for freezer and fridge and to use the phone charging stations they set up. Husband had a great time joining all the other men in the subdivision with chainsaws who helped with downed trees.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This damn storm may be fucking up my damn fishing trip up here in MD that we have planned on Saturday. I hope it misses us or if we get some remnants, it's just rain and not a lot of wind so we can still go out on the boat.

Nov 17, 2019
8:00 AM EDT Wed Sep 28
Moving: NNE at 10 mph
Min pressure: 937 mb
Max sustained: 155 mph

(major) 130-156 mph
113-136 kt
209-251 km/h Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

(major)
157 mph or higher
137 kt or higher
252 km/h or higher
Catastrophic damage will occur: A high percentage of framed homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last for weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

How many people on the ground will be able to tell the difference between 155, 156 and 157?

• Wow
Reactions: Number1

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
This storm is a massive beast. Getting dicey here already a few miles inland of Cocoa Beach. Feeder bands are creating rain wrapped tornadoes. Center will pass pretty close north of here based on most models. Probably lose power for hours to days. Generator was serviced yesterday, have 60hrs worth of gas, and everything else is good to go. We had Hurricane windows put in, and a new 130MPH rated roof, so hopefully we do okay.

Poor bastards where this makes landfall have it infinitely worse. It will look like a bomb went off, like with Mexico Beach.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This storm is a massive beast. Getting dicey here already a few miles inland of Cocoa Beach. Feeder bands are creating rain wrapped tornadoes. Center will pass pretty close north of here based on most models. Probably lose power for hours to days. Generator was serviced yesterday, have 60hrs worth of gas, and everything else is good to go. We had Hurricane windows put in, and a new 130MPH rated roof, so hopefully we do okay.

Poor bastards where this makes landfall have it infinitely worse. It will look like a bomb went off, like with Mexico Beach.

From what I read they were talking about a 12-18 foot storm-surge in the Tampa Bay area.

Last time a storm of this magnitude hit there was over 100 years ago in 1921 so the majority of area residents have no experience with how dangerous this can be.

Also the population density along the gulf coast has increased just a tad in the last century.... this is going to be potentially as destructive as Andrew if not worse.

:(

What would happen if the Hurricane of 1921 hit Tampa today? (Spectrum News)

1921_Garrison_Channel