Hurricane Claudette was caused by SUVS

bandana163

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2003
Sounds a bit biased, but seriously, with all these droughts, floods, snow in Peru, it may not be far from reality.
Does anybody have sufficent knowledge on hurricanes for this?
As I know, they are not connected with gases, just with extreme air turbulences, storms, weather and such.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Vaerilis
Sounds a bit biased, but seriously, with all these droughts, floods, snow in Peru, it may not be far from reality.
Does anybody have sufficent knowledge on hurricanes for this?
As I know, they are not connected with gases, just with extreme air turbulences, storms, weather and such.

I sure do. That is why I posted it. The stupidest thing I have ever heard. I found this on a meterology forum, and the people were pissed about it. Blatantly untrue and false information. Typical. BTW, we always have active Tornado and Hurricane seasons when El Nino is a factor.

bandana163

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2003
I think the next headlines will be "Earthquake shocks Los Angeles: councilmen point on the gay as the cause"

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This fits the pattern laid out iin the '80's as to what Global Warming would do, more erratic weather, more extreme weather. What did you expect?

bandana163

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2003
I expect more hurricanes, atmospheric disturbances, more extremities, two seasons in Europe. The process can be felt already.
Snow in Peru, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, ice caps melting.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
This fits the pattern laid out iin the '80's as to what Global Warming would do, more erratic weather, more extreme weather. What did you expect?

It does? Have you ever studied any climatology or are you just going by what you were spoonfed? Surprise Surprise, but the number of Violent tornadoes or Hurricanes has not increased moreso than any other fluctuations during the past 100 decades. See Camille, see 1974 for Tornadoes. Never had anything like that since. Why?

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium

It does? Have you ever studied any climatology or are you just going by what you were spoonfed? Surprise Surprise, but the number of Violent tornadoes or Hurricanes has not increased moreso than any other fluctuations during the past 100 decades. See Camille, see 1974 for Tornadoes. Never had anything like that since. Why?

And what climatological data would this be that show violent tornadoes have decreased during the last 100 decades?? :confused:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Tornadoes, hurricanes, or other such events is only a part of the picture. Temperatures, freak weather in unusual places, and what not are much more telling.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jahawkin

And what climatological data would this be that show violent tornadoes have decreased during the last 100 decades?? :confused:

What shows they have increased due to global warming? Reporting of tornadoes have increased, but it is the old tree in a forest issue. If no one sees it, did it exist?

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

What shows they have increased due to global warming? Reporting of tornadoes have increased, but it is the old tree in a forest issue. If no one sees it, did it exist?

ummm, you said "the number of violent tornadoes has not increased moreso than any other fluctuation during the past 100 decades"
What data do you have to back that statement up? I never said that violent tornadoes have increased in the past 100 decades.

LandRover

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2000
Claudette was actually terrorism. I heard that Saddam and Osama are now in possession of a "weather altering apocalypse device".

Recent intelligence suggests that it's mobile and being trasported in a Ford Expedition.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

ummm, you said "the number of violent tornadoes has not increased moreso than any other fluctuation during the past 100 decades"
What data do you have to back that statement up? I never said that violent tornadoes have increased in the past 100 decades.

SPC

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

SPC[/quote]

Well, there's one of the 100 decades...what about the rest? :confused:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Nope... it is cause by Moonbeam making waves again.

Too many ducks in the water at one time can be bad. My Caddy gets up to 31 mpg. It's a wonderful car. The white color reflects the suns rays into space like somebody else I know.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

SPC

Well, there's one of the 100 decades...what about the rest? :confused:[/quote]

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/publicaffairs/releases/torncentury.html

http://www.uiowa.edu/~c019120/class_projects_98/Iowa%20Tornadoes%20Web%20Site/page1.htm

"However, the increase isn't because weather patterns have increased in severity over the years. It means technology has gotten better, especially with the advent of NexRad radar, an improved version of Doppler radar.

NexRad, which was completely installed in television weather centers and National Weather Service branches across the United States in 1996, detects the motion of the air currents inside the storms. If meteorologists see a twisting motion that has shown the likelihood of producing tornadoes previously, a warning will be issued, Winters said.

Before NexRad, the NWS relied heavily on ground spotters for their tornado information, as meteorologists weren't able to detect that movement on the radar screen.

"The (old) radar could only see where the rain was and how hard it was falling," Winters said. "It could detect no movement."

With NexRad radar's success, the role of the on the ground spotter as the main people to warn of tornadoes has diminished. Before NexRad, Winters estimates that there was a 3 to I ratio of spotter-reported tornadoes to radar-indicated ones.

Now with NexRad, the radar is able to predict or report better than spotters. That ratio now is about two radar-indicated storms for every spotter-reported storm, Winters said.

Winters said NexRad will be able to detect those tornadoes that go unreported in smaller population areas that ground spotters may have missed. Because where a tornado hits is completely random, Winters expects the numbers of tornadoes to even out for every county in Iowa with their new technology.

"I don't think you'll see a general increase of tornadoes," Winters said. "I think the number of tornadoes will top off, as long as the weather patterns don't change." "

So... do you have a link to prove changes in weather patterns have been caused BY global warming and not by El Nino or La Nina?

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

SPC

So... do you have a link to prove changes in weather patterns have been caused BY global warming and not by El Nino or La Nina?[/quote]

First of why did you include links about a radar that's been in use since 1988? That won't do much good for climatological studies.
Second, I never made any assertion about any changes in climate. I just find it amusing that you say this in reply to someone,
Have you ever studied any climatology or are you just going by what you were spoonfed?
then proceed to say this,
Surprise Surprise, but the number of Violent tornadoes or Hurricanes has not increased moreso than any other fluctuations during the past 100 decades.
Anyone with a basic knowledge of climatology wouldn't claim to know the incidence of tornadoes in the past 1000 years.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

SPC

So... do you have a link to prove changes in weather patterns have been caused BY global warming and not by El Nino or La Nina?

First of why did you include links about a radar that's been in use since 1988? That won't do much good for climatological studies.
Second, I never made any assertion about any changes in climate. I just find it amusing that you say this in reply to someone,
Have you ever studied any climatology or are you just going by what you were spoonfed?
Surprise Surprise, but the number of Violent tornadoes or Hurricanes has not increased moreso than any other fluctuations during the past 100 decades.
Anyone with a basic knowledge of climatology wouldn't claim to know the incidence of tornadoes in the past 1000 years.[/quote]

You know, just as anyone reading this thread that I meant 100 years. There is hardly any climo data that can be considering accurate that is more than a few hundred years old.

Umm... if you don't understand how the WSR-88D has had an effect on tornado spotting and recording, then we do not need to go any further. Obviously you don't know anything about the subject at hand. You are arguing with pure fallacies and sidestepping any point or information I provide. This will be my last attempt to get YOU to post a link or provide some information. Link to me a piece from NOAA or another Meteorology Organization(Other than the UN one) that says Global Warming has influenced tornadoes and/or hurricanes. Also, make sure they specify that the Global warming is due to the Greenhouse gas effect, and not something climatological such as El Nino or La Nino.

Waiting on your link, but I expect more sidestepping.

I doubt

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

SPC

Anyone with a basic knowledge of climatology wouldn't claim to know the incidence of tornadoes in the past 1000 years.

You know, just as anyone reading this thread that I meant 100 years. There is hardly any climo data that can be considering accurate that is more than a few hundred years old.

Umm... if you don't understand how the WSR-88D has had an effect on tornado spotting and recording, then we do not need to go any further. Obviously you don't know anything about the subject at hand. You are arguing with pure fallacies and sidestepping any point or information I provide. This will be my last attempt to get YOU to post a link or provide some information. Link to me a piece from NOAA or another Meteorology Organization(Other than the UN one) that says Global Warming has influenced tornadoes and/or hurricanes. Also, make sure they specify that the Global warming is due to the Greenhouse gas effect, and not something climatological such as El Nino or La Nino.

I doubt[/quote]

What pure fallacies have I asserted? Where have I said anything about associations between global warming and severe weather? Please go back and read my posts and point this out.

So the wsr-88ds have been around for 15 years, what kind of climatological data set is that?

You said:
There is hardly any climo data that can be considering accurate that is more than a few hundred years old.
Are you kidding me!!! LOL!! Have you ever heard of paleoclimatology, for example? Or perhaps the Journal of Climate. Most of the articles in there are about climate from "more than a few hundred years" ago. Do you think they just make up the data??

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
of course its the SUVs fault! lord knows we never had a tornado, hurricane, druaght or flood before the damn vehicles were made!

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

SPC

I doubt

What pure fallacies have I asserted? Where have I said anything about associations between global warming and severe weather? Please go back and read my posts and point this out.

So the wsr-88ds have been around for 15 years, what kind of climatological data set is that?

You said:
There is hardly any climo data that can be considering accurate that is more than a few hundred years old.
Are you kidding me!!! LOL!! Have you ever heard of paleoclimatology, for example? Or perhaps the Journal of Climate. Most of the articles in there are about climate from "more than a few hundred years" ago. Do you think they just make up the data??[/quote]

More sidestepping, and still not a single link to disprove what I said. Climatology has little to do with modern climatology. I didn't know we still looked at a Tree's ring to determine if we are in a drought or not. We use rain guages and past RECORDED data now. There is a huge difference, but I wouldn't expect someone with your intelligence or lack of education about the subject to know anything about it. BTW, all you are doing is using google to try and find information to support your claim. Are you a google warrior? Is that all you can do? Use a search engine? How about doing some research and then TRYING to point out an article to me. Right now you are weakening with each turn.

Paleo vs modern? HAHAHA idiot.

Hey look! The N hemisphere temp drops when the southern hemisphere goes up. That couldn't be due to El/La Nino could it? NAH!

And hey, Paleoclimatology still doesn't say ANYTHING about tornadoes or Hurricanes. The most violent hurricane the US has encountered this century was in the 1960's. So why does anyone say global warming caused this hurricane? If Camille wasn't affected by WARMER temperatures back then(look at the run up after 1950, until the decrease lately) then how was Claudette? You want the answer? They are affecting by ocean and surface temperatures to some degree, but there is not ENOUGH data to determine if this is the result of temporary influences or a permanent warm up. You are WANTING to draw conclusions with data that doesn't even support your position. There is very little record of Hurricanes or Tornadoes prior to the 1900's, and most certainly not the databases we have now.

How are we supposed to make inferences without enough data? Why the more active 1998 and 1974 severe weather seasons? If you look at YOUR charts is seems we have been on a decline for a while in the Northern Hemi. The Southern has increased, but the ARCTIC temps have dropped. Guess the polar ice caps are not going to be melting eh?

BTW, did you want to LINK me a specific article in the Journal of Climate? All the papers I looked at were discussing current trends or very short past events. I don't understand how that usurps my claim. In fact, it doesn't.

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

You said:
Are you kidding me!!! LOL!! Have you ever heard of paleoclimatology, for example? Or perhaps the Journal of Climate. Most of the articles in there are about climate from "more than a few hundred years" ago. Do you think they just make up the data??

More sidestepping, and still not a single link to disprove what I said. Climatology has little to do with modern climatology. I didn't know we still looked at a Tree's ring to determine if we are in a drought or not. We use rain guages and past RECORDED data now. There is a huge difference, but I wouldn't expect someone with your intelligence or lack of education about the subject to know anything about it. BTW, all you are doing is using google to try and find information to support your claim. Are you a google warrior? Is that all you can do? Use a search engine? How about doing some research and then TRYING to point out an article to me. Right now you are weakening with each turn.

Paleo vs modern? HAHAHA idiot.

Hey look! The N hemisphere temp drops when the southern hemisphere goes up. That couldn't be due to El/La Nino could it? NAH!

And hey, Paleoclimatology still doesn't say ANYTHING about tornadoes or Hurricanes. The most violent hurricane the US has encountered this century was in the 1960's. So why does anyone say global warming caused this hurricane? If Camille wasn't affected by WARMER temperatures back then(look at the run up after 1950, until the decrease lately) then how was Claudette? You want the answer? They are affecting by ocean and surface temperatures to some degree, but there is not ENOUGH data to determine if this is the result of temporary influences or a permanent warm up. You are WANTING to draw conclusions with data that doesn't even support your position. There is very little record of Hurricanes or Tornadoes prior to the 1900's, and most certainly not the databases we have now.

How are we supposed to make inferences without enough data? Why the more active 1998 and 1974 severe weather seasons? If you look at YOUR charts is seems we have been on a decline for a while in the Northern Hemi. The Southern has increased, but the ARTIC temps have dropped. Guess the polar ice caps are not going to be melting eh?[/quote]

You said:
"Surprise, but the number of Violent tornadoes or Hurricanes has not increased moreso than any other fluctuations during the past 100 decades."
That statement cannot be proven and I asked you what data you had to back that up. Look back through the thread, I have made no assertion about the incidence of tornadoes on any timescale. So I don't get why you're asking me to disprove your statement when it stands on no grounds itself. Please, please point out where I said anything about the frequency of severe weather other than to call your bullsh!t.
You say:
"You are WANTING to draw conclusions with data that doesn't even support your position."
Exactly what conclusions am I drawing and what position do I have? I just pointed out where you have put your foot in your mouth by making ignorant statements like "there is no accurate climatological information that is more that a few hundred years old."

You are demonstrating that you have a very limited and incorrect view of what climate and climatology is. In order the know and study the climate processes today, we have to study the climate of the past. To know how something like an increase of greenhouse gases will affect our climate, you have to have some idea of what drives climate and the only way to do that is to look at the past.
You say:
"Climatology has little to do with modern climatology"
How so? And WTF is "modern climatology" and how does it differ from normal "climatology" as you put it?

I almost missed it, but you put your foot in your mouth again, when saying "Hey look! The N hemisphere temp drops when the southern hemisphere goes up. That couldn't be due to El/La Nino could it? NAH! "
Well, those figures you link to are for the time period 1400-present. You're telling me that you can pick out particular years in a plot that spans 600 years? Or that individual El Ninos are reflected in the 30-year running mean lines??

You say:
"They (hurrincanes) are affecting by ocean and surface temperatures to some degree, but there is not ENOUGH data to determine if this is the result of temporary influences or a permanent warm up."
To some degree?? Of course hurricanes are affected by ocean temperatures. SST is a prime factor in how intense a hurricane will be. If, as a result of global warming, global SSTs rise, then, on average, hurricanes will be more intense.
You say:
"How are we supposed to make inferences without enough data?"
By understanding the processes that drive climate and understanding past climate, that's how.
"BTW, did you want to LINK me a specific article in the Journal of Climate? All the papers I looked at were discussing current trends or very short past events."
Here, here.