Huricane Fiona to hit Maritimes.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Still no power so I had to go wait in line for over an hour to get gas for the generator. This thing uses around 20lt every 12 hours so it gets expensive fast. Internet is sporadic at best. The damage in the area is unbelievable.
I feel for the people in Florida about to go trough Ian.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Looks like power is going to be out untill Oct 3. o_O o_O o_O :confused: This link will give you an idea of the extent of the outages in our area.

Internet is slow but working today on LTE.
Watching Ian. It's going to be a lot more serious by the looks of things. Cuba is completely out of power. Good luck down there.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Looks like power is going to be out untill Oct 3. o_O o_O o_O :confused: This link will give you an idea of the extent of the outages in our area.

Wow thats a bummer .... a few years ago we lost power here for nearly a week after a really strong line of thunderstorms blew through. (due to neglected tree-work taking down a ton of wires)

I have access to a gas oven/stove and a propane grill so I could still cook but after the 2ed/3rd day ice got extremely tough to come by locally and sleeping in the summer with no AC sucks.

Fortunately water was unaffected as were the majority of restaurants.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I can see it taking a while to get power back for sure. When Quebec gets hit with storms (less worse than what you got) it goes on for a week sometimes. We end up having lot of telco exchange stuff on generator/battery and rotate around. I don't manage any telco stuff at your end but from what I gather they have around 300 buildings on generator right now. They bought their own diesel tanker truck load since the gas stations are very hit and miss.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Take whatever storm you've experienced (with the possible exception of a strong twister) and multiply it by 20 and you BEGIN to get the idea of what a real hurricane is like.

A "storm surge" isn't a like a big wave, it's the entire freaking ocean just rolling right in and unlike a severe T-storm or tornado the extreme wind/rain isn't over in a few minutes it just keeps on coming.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I can't even begin to imagine. We'd had some storms here, but I wouldn't even call them bad. Just a lot of rain and wind, sometimes minor damage from the bigger ones, but they last like half an hour at very most. Hurricanes can go on for hours while leaving a path of destruction. I can recall one fairly bad storm many years ago that did cause quite a lot of damage but even that does not compare to a hurricane. The damage was mostly trees and hydro poles and not houses. Hurricanes will level houses completely. I'd really hate to go through one.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah I can't even begin to imagine. We'd had some storms here, but I wouldn't even call them bad. Just a lot of rain and wind, sometimes minor damage from the bigger ones, but they last like half an hour at very most. Hurricanes can go on for hours while leaving a path of destruction. I can recall one fairly bad storm many years ago that did cause quite a lot of damage but even that does not compare to a hurricane. The damage was mostly trees and hydro poles and not houses. Hurricanes will level houses completely. I'd really hate to go through one.

I've lived on/near the Atlantic coast my entire life and I've only very rarely experienced what they're going to see in Tampa this time around.

Sandy was extremely bad but was "only" a tropical storm... the last strong hurricane I can recall before that was Gloria (cat 3 when she hit Long Island NY) and that was nearly 40 years ago!

Experts have been warning about the dangers of over-developing in coastal areas particularly in Florida for many years. In fact I can recall reading about it in Popular Science as a kid.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I've lived on/near the Atlantic coast my entire life and I've only very rarely experienced what they're going to see in Tampa this time around.

Sandy was extremely bad but was "only" a tropical storm... the last strong hurricane I can recall before that was Gloria (cat 3 when she hit Long Island NY) and that was nearly 40 years ago!

Experts have been warning about the dangers of over-developing in coastal areas particularly in Florida for many years. In fact I can recall reading about it in Popular Science as a kid.

It's ok they just plan on being bailed out by the federal government and insurance companies.