Huricane Fiona to hit Maritimes.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
"hurricane-strength winds, heavy rain and waves that could top 12 metres"

They say it could be the worst storm to ever hit us! Some gas stations have already ran out of fuel due to the mad rush.

I live in Cape Breton Sydney area by the sea and this thing is coming right for us. Its predicted to hit us during high tide.
I got the car full, the generator full and tested, 30lt fuel, propane and butane. I need electricity for the sump pumps.
Everything is put away in the yard or tied down.

Downloaded plenty of netflix content as I expect the internet to go down. Need my entertainment.
Food will last us for a week.
Plenty of coffee and a deck of card.
So we're as ready as we're going to be.
Hoping for the best.

As long as the house holds and is not carried out to sea we should be ok!!!!!!!

Thought and prayers are not required yet.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Thought and prayers are not required yet

Sending a few your way anyway? :oops:

Satellite-imagery of that thing is scary! Let's hope for a course-change.

0c520000-0aff-0242-e776-08da9d73157f_cx0_cy16_cw99_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Hurricane Fiona Pulls Away From Bermuda, Heads Toward Canada (VOA News)

Last edited:
Reactions: Number1

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
It's been raining all day and the wind is just starting. Finished putting away stuff, tied the boat down. Soaking wet.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
"When looking at Fiona, you kind of get that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach, and it's something as a meteorologist you don't get all too often,"

~ Tyler Hamilton, a meteorologist at The Weather Network

Be careful and evacuate if they tell you to! :oops:

(you can always get more stuff!)

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
We're on generator now. One of my big apple tree has been ripped out of the ground and ripped the fence up with it. The noise is scary sounding out there. Pics in the morning. Over 360K without power in the province.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
We're on generator now. One of my big apple tree has been ripped out of the ground and ripped the fence up with it. The noise is scary sounding out there. Pics in the morning. Over 360K without power in the province.

Hope you guys are doing okay! :oops:

After surviving Sandy years ago I have full appreciation for just how dangerous a severe ocean-storm can be.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have seen some updates:

Most (95%) of P.E.I. is without power. Province is on the verge of declaring a State of Emergency.

Nova Scotia has asked for military aid and Federal emergency aid.

350,000 without power in Nova Scotia

44,000 without power on New Brunswick

6000 without power in Newfoundland

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Home internet has been dead since yesterday and today mobile stopped working until a few minutes ago. I have several big trees just ripped out of the ground. I had tied my boat to one of them and It only crushed my manual crank on the boat trailer. Another tree fell on the side of the neighbor's house. Almost no damage. There are lines of telephone poles on the ground. Lines down everywhere on the roads. There is an emergency directive to shelter in place.

Were good here with the gen humming along. My 5G apears to be working ok for now. Il post pictures when I can find a wifi connection. Don't want to use my data LOL

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Crazy stuff... hope the damage isn't too bad!

Anyone who has never personally experienced seeing the ENTIRE OCEAN coming at you in a storm-surge (!!) it's something you'll never forget. It's not a "big wave" like a tsunami it's just the whole damn thing rolling in like the tide or a massive river except it doesn't stop!

Sandy was pretty bad and was the only time I experienced a "surge" up close and personal @ my mom's condo in Norwalk CT. That was one of the few times ever I've genuinely been afraid for my life.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Calm after the storm here. Beautiful weather. Time to get the chain saw out. Internet is spoty as F. There are comfort stations opened in the towns. My son lost his canvas car canopy. No surprize there. Cleanup time

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Calm after the storm here. Beautiful weather. Time to get the chain saw out. Internet is spoty as F. There are comfort stations opened in the towns. My son lost his canvas car canopy. No surprize there. Cleanup time

Just be happy he didn't lose the car along with it! :p

Glad to hear you're okay!

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
We are still on generator here and gas stations are out of gas but they starting to get fuel now. I am ok for another day of fuel at least. The brother in law has his electricity back so iI can borrow some of his fuel if I need to. 5G is still spoty as F. I tried to add data to my plan but the provider shows no data usage at all. They probably made it available unlimited due to the huricane and the crapy performance. I started cutting the down trees and cleaning up.
Overall we're prety lucky, some people had their house taken out to sea.

IN Florida, Ian looks like its going to be horible.

Bonus, the government is going to give everybody $100 for spoiled food and $250 to cleanup dead trees. We did not lose food but I am going to claim the $250. for tree cleanup. I managed to find an open Tim so all is not lost...