Humble subscriptions are about to get a lot worse

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Humble monthly is a great offering. About $132/year, a bundle of games every month, 20% discount on most purchases.

They're about to change the offering to be much worse some time this year.

The good news is, current subscribers get to apparently keep the current plan as long as they're subscribed - so now's the time to sign up before the change.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
If you have the current "classic plan" you can also pause it a month without losing the plan. Pausing allows you to skip a month without unsubscribing and losing the old plan permanently. The only drawback is setting up a reminder before they charge you if you don't want a monthly bundle.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Are you sure about getting to keep the current plan? I recall seeing that Humble Bundle was transitioning all current Humble Monthly subscribers over to the Humble Choice's Classic plan for the remainder of their subscription. (Note that it seems you can also resubscribe and still keep the Classic plan.) At least from what I saw, the Classic plan is the best one as you get to choose 10 games out of the available titles instead of the highest paid plan's 8 games.

Although, that probably sets off a few bells... what sort of games will we get to choose from? Will it be sort of like it is now where AAA titles often result in less titles per month? For example, this month has Crash Bandicoot, Spyro Reignited and Call of Duty, and I have a feeling we'll maybe get 3 more titles to round off the month. On the other hand, months with a heavier Indie focus tend to have more titles. So, my worry is that choice is a good thing, but it all depends on what you're choosing from.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I miss when there was no Humble subscription at all, just bundles you could buy at whatever price you wanted to pay.
Yeah, seems like I used to buy a bundle every few months. It's been two years since I bought one now.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Honestly, I don't think Humble Bundle is a bad thing, but the issue is that they have enough repeat games -- usually Indie titles -- that get pushed into bundles that you may avoid a bundle simply because you already own too many of the games to make it worth it. I mean... last time I went to Humble Bundle, I had 24 pages of unused keys due to repeats. That's why I'm a bit curious about this new Humble Choice system as it might help me get more games that I don't own and want.

As a side note, one thing that's a bit frustrating about Humble Bundle is that I find myself purposefully avoiding buying games because I know that I'll eventually get them through Humble Bundle. It's probably more common with Indie or cheaper titles than $60 AAA games, but it certainly happens.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I miss when there was no Humble subscription at all, just bundles you could buy at whatever price you wanted to pay.

Yeah, a few years ago I bought quite a few bundles. Now, the bundles are less interesting. This year, I've only gotten one - the RPG bundle with Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, and a few others I hadn't heard of. All for $4.

Most of their bundles now have indie titles and/or Japanese titles that I'm not familiar with. Maybe it's me.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
As a side note, one thing that's a bit frustrating about Humble Bundle is that I find myself purposefully avoiding buying games because I know that I'll eventually get them through Humble Bundle. It's probably more common with Indie or cheaper titles than $60 AAA games, but it certainly happens.

'Will I get this on Humble' is now a factor in buying anything.

Feb 4, 2009
Humble bundles are too random for me to subscribe monthly. I’m fine with paying $15 and choosing two or three games I want rather than paying $12 for two games plus a Indy tsunami

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
There was always far too much shovelware in humble bundles. Its been ages since I bought one. Their lead title is something either I already own or wasn't interested in anyways. All the other stuff... Meh. I'll be more inclined to pick something up if I can at least pick what I get. My time is far more valuable than adding more stuff I'll never play to the backlog.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It doesn't seem any less - they run several bundles at a times - just that they added a lot of other sales.

I wonder if it's that they used to do almost all -- if not all -- gaming bundles. However, now you tend to get bundles for PC software, PlayStation games, Android games, and even books. So, while Humble Bundle may display 10+ bundles, for a gamer, there may only be 2-3 bundles.

(Albeit, they've had Android bundles for a lot longer than the others.)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It was different. Last Humble Bundle I got had some codes for Dirty Bomb for exclusive skins (which I got). Things have changed since then.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
One week left to get on humble classic, if you want to, their weird referral system gives me $8 if you use a code, I don't think you get anything, but if I can post the code (if not let me know I can delete it) https://www.humblebundle.com/subscription?refc=4LlY6X, PM me for a game key of the countless duplicates I have so you get something.

This month is Yakuza Kiwami (whatever that is)+My Time in Portia+Soul Caliber VI+ more on Dec 6.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This month is Yakuza Kiwami (whatever that is)+My Time in Portia+Soul Caliber VI+ more on Dec 6.

Yakuza Kiwami is a remake of the first Yakuza game, which was originally released on... the PS2, I think? Since only Yakuza 5 was created for modern platforms, they're re-releasing the original games so people can play through them and get the story. There's already a Yakuza Kiwami 2, and I believe the third one comes out in 2020? They also released Yakuza 0, which is a precursor to the original game.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The first month of the new system, there were 10 games and 10 choices for legacy customers. Today, there were 12 games and 10 choices, so for the first time we didn't get ll the choices. I guess this is mitigated by the old bundles having fewer than 10 games.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
$130 is the UK equivalent (not at exchange rate, but cost-of-life equivalent) of about £80, which is 4 games AT MOST. Thats pretty good for a year's worth of games.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
The first month of the new system, there were 10 games and 10 choices for legacy customers. Today, there were 12 games and 10 choices, so for the first time we didn't get ll the choices. I guess this is mitigated by the old bundles having fewer than 10 games.

Only 9 choices for my 2nd month on the Classic Plan (10 first month), good thing I have 5 of the games already so don't need to miss out at all.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
$130 is the UK equivalent (not at exchange rate, but cost-of-life equivalent) of about £80, which is 4 games AT MOST. Thats pretty good for a year's worth of games.

It's a steal really. GRID Rally 2.0 alone is selling now for $59.99.