Aug 21, 2005
httpifindfraud.comimagesindia_power_lines_3.jpg

indiancity_powerpole.jpg

because of these.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
A couple of days ago a main grid dropped offline - 200M affected.
In the process of bringing that grid back; it cut out and also dropped the eastern grid - 200M + 400M

They are in the process of trying to bring the grids back online; some reports are that not very successful; one comes up and drops another section.

couple of Indians here at work are implying that the southern part of the contry has a private/better maintained grid than the northern section.

Like any grid; it takes longer to get it back and stable; surges will crash a section easily.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
For an area of the world not exactly known to be cool and breezy this time of year, this huge outage has to be miserable for the folks there. From what I heard even some major hospitals are without power. Hopefully they'll get things figured out soon.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
India... future indicator of the US power grid. Be it simple incompetence at maintaining infrastructure or a terrorist act.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Surely the free market will eventually solve this problem.

Actually, it would. The market solves EVERY problem, but as a society we don't always like how it solves it so we add regulation or other measures to create a certain desired outcome, which of course makes the market no longer function as a real free market. That can be good or bad.

I'm guessing India is not even remotely close to having any kind of "free market" in energy creation or delivery, so your comment is asinine regardless.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Actually, it would. The market solves EVERY problem, but as a society we don't always like how it solves it so we add regulation or other measures to create a certain desired outcome, which of course makes the market no longer function as a real free market. That can be good or bad.

I'm guessing India is not even remotely close to having any kind of "free market" in energy creation or delivery, so your comment is asinine regardless.

Not sure that I agree that it solves every problem, but certainly more by far than any competing system.

Does India have government-run utilities?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yep, that is definately what I think. How did you know?

Cause you think they need government in order to get their !@#$ together. Cause they are obviously not going to do it, not like they want to continue to operate or anything.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009

Ah excellent.

And how much time do I need to wait before your Free Market finds the elusive Higgs-Boson?

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
This is what happens when you pair a democracy with rampant corruption that exists at all political levels with ~500 million voters who are malnourished let alone think straight.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Not sure that I agree that it solves every problem, but certainly more by far than any competing system.

Does India have government-run utilities?

Not solves as in "comes to a successful conclusion", but solves as in "reaches market equilibrium". The equilibrium reached is not always desirable from a societal perspective.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Ah excellent.

And how much time do I need to wait before your Free Market finds the elusive Higgs-Boson?

Clearly you lack even a basic understanding of the concepts you're posting about. Perhaps when you're able to complete 7th grade concepts you could revisit.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Oh it gets better...

The massive failure — a day after a similar, but smaller power failure — has raised serious concerns about India's outdated infrastructure and the government's inability to meet its huge appetite for energy as the country aspires to become a regional economic superpower.

Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde blamed the new crisis on states taking more than their allotted share of electricity.

Government rationed electricity anyone? Sign me up baby.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Cause you think they need government in order to get their !@#$ together. Cause they are obviously not going to do it, not like they want to continue to operate or anything.

I did not state that, I glibly asked when the Free Market was going to solve this problem.

India's government as currently operated is poorly placed to solve any major infrastructure problem.

Good job.

Look at you with your Google skills! You go girl!

Here are mine at work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Power_companies_of_India

Do you know why that company was created by the Indian government?

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Clearly you lack even a basic understanding of the concepts you're posting about. Perhaps when you're able to complete 7th grade concepts you could revisit.

Ah insults, the last refuge of the well informed debater.

Clearly Im an idiot for not understanding that the Free Market SOLVES EVERY PROBLEM.

And clearly you are far more intelligent for not even addressing my point but instead using an insult to argue for you.

Well played sir, well played.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
This is what happens when you pair a democracy with rampant corruption that exists at all political levels with ~500 million voters who are malnourished let alone think straight.

There are all kinds of interesting lessons to learn when one studies India.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I did not state that, I glibly asked when the Free Market was going to solve this problem.

India's government as currently operated is poorly placed to solve any major infrastructure problem.

Look at you with your Google skills! You go girl!

Here are mine at work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Power_companies_of_India

Do you know why that company was created by the Indian government?

Doesn't matter. That is a goverment run company at fault and you are trying to blame it on the free market.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
My knowledge of the situation there is now a number of years out of date, but I believe the primary issue is that people will literally just throw a line onto the existing power poles and siphon power without paying for it.

The vast majority of people do this, which has predictable results: A system that goes down all of the time and has no money to improve/upgrade service. This all gets blamed on the government and utilities which in my opinion is in this rare case unwarranted.

Doesn't matter. That is a goverment run company at fault and you are trying to blame it on the free market.

As explained above, this actually isn't the case for once. It's not the free market's fault either. This is a "people stealing stuff" problem.