Huffpost - democrats might take both houses in 2014

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Gotta love liberal double standards. Radical Islamists aren't engaged in Jihad but the Tea Party are jihadists when they have never killed anyone.

Rigid & irrational faith based ideology is a feature of both groups, along with the notion that the ends justify the means when on a divine mission, particularly the means of hostage taking & extortion. Both deny legitimacy to the principles of Democracy. Both are deeply authoritarian. Both seek to burn down society so as to reform it to their liking.

If you can't see that, it's because you refuse to look at yourself, to examine your own most cherished beliefs.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Gerrymandering will likely keep repubs safe to an extent they don't deserve/haven't earned.

Republican politicians stubbornness to change of anything is gonna dry up the party. Obamas answers may smell sweet to some and stink to others, but at least he is pushing a bit on the status quo.

Sour grapes. Blame the Democratic faithful that prefer to overpopulate their districts.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Pretty sure it's impossible for them to take the house in 2014. Gerrymandering has them fully protected. As stupid as the GOP has been I think they would have to advocate apartheid and fascism to lose.

:rolleyes: As if the Democratic party hasn't done any gerrymandering to protect seats and control conservative sections of states.

Feb 4, 2009
:rolleyes: As if the Democratic party hasn't done any gerrymandering to protect seats and control conservative sections of states.

I agree I don't know the answer to the Gerrymandering problem but I do know it needs to be addressed. Here's where I want to see every politicians attention:
Job creation
Tax reform (businesses want definate policies higher or lower they just want certainty)
Campaign finance reform, reel in Citizens United
Social Security/Medicare needs to be propped up in some way that's not too radical
Stop messing around with other Governments, spying, ease dropping on citizens and stop screwing around in the middle east we're going to be an energy exporter soon.

That's five things, yes they are all tough issues but they are also high gain and I will respect any party that addresses them in an inclusive way. Remember great leaders don't hide from problems.

Feb 4, 2009
I think one party control all three houses is bad, with that being said, I'd rather have 1 crazy party control all three than have a insane party control one. Honestly look at the damage they have done...

^^Agreed, although the whole party isn't insane, they simply lack a strong leader and have become too dependant on big contributers or Tea Party nut bags. Look at the Romney tape talking about the 47% it reeks of arrogance and pandering for donations.
These people don't pay taxes so they are never going to vote for me or support my campaign so I need everyone in this room to contribute extra to make up for it.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I think one party control all three houses is bad, with that being said, I'd rather have 1 crazy party control all three than have a insane party control one. Honestly look at the damage they have done...

What we need is at least a 3 or 4 party system where no one party has control of anything.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
What we need is at least a 3 or 4 party system where no one party has control of anything.

That works for something things and not for others. For example if you have a cohesive policy that you need to implement but it gets diluted by trying to get more parties to buy in, it won't have the full effect. Where it does work is if you have an extreme policy, getting buy in from other parties would moderate it.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
That works for something things and not for others. For example if you have a cohesive policy that you need to implement but it gets diluted by trying to get more parties to buy in, it won't have the full effect. Where it does work is if you have an extreme policy, getting buy in from other parties would moderate it.

The current system we have does not work, period.

The only other viable option is to dilute the 2 controlling parties and force them to share power.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

The only other viable option is to dilute the 2 controlling parties and force them to share power.

Forcing the Democrats and Republicans to form a "grand coalition" against the Tea Party. Now you're talking. :awe:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

No. GOP policies need to be reversed and stamped out. They are a failure.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The House of Representatives represents the will of America proportionately in the form of seats based on votes and population and right now and in the future that will continue to be the will of a Republican majority. About the only thing Democrats will be winning in 2014 is the House popular vote.

Apr 27, 2012
Rigid & irrational faith based ideology is a feature of both groups, along with the notion that the ends justify the means when on a divine mission, particularly the means of hostage taking & extortion. Both deny legitimacy to the principles of Democracy. Both are deeply authoritarian. Both seek to burn down society so as to reform it to their liking.

If you can't see that, it's because you refuse to look at yourself, to examine your own most cherished beliefs.

The fact that you're just repeating talking points and referring to them as hostage takers shows how much of a nutbar you are. I am still waiting for you to condemn the real Jihadists but I won't be waiting.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
2014 is still next year. The GOP is a mess, there is no leadership. Party members hate each other as much as they hate Obama.
But, their "marketing" arm is quite good at what it does.

Gerrymandering will likely keep repubs safe to an extent they don't deserve/haven't earned.

Republican politicians stubbornness to change of anything is gonna dry up the party. Obamas answers may smell sweet to some and stink to others, but at least he is pushing a bit on the status quo.
Both sides use gerrymandering to their advantage, to intentionally attempt to corrupt the system. I guess I can see why it remains legal - corruption at the root, and now armed with powerful data gathering and statistical analysis capabilities.
Redistricting time? Ah yes, that's when the politicians set out to choose their voters.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
The fact that you're just repeating talking points and referring to them as hostage takers shows how much of a nutbar you are. I am still waiting for you to condemn the real Jihadists but I won't be waiting.

Remember Jhhnn gives a free pass to actual terrorists like Bill Ayers because they are on his side of the isle. He is the epitome of a hypocrite.

Apr 27, 2012
Remember Jhhnn gives a free pass to actual terrorists like Bill Ayers because they are on his side of the isle. He is the epitome of a hypocrite.

Thanks, I forgot about that. jhhnn is a complete idiot, he refers to the Tea Party as "teahadists" because he is obsessed with jihad when the Tea Party never killed anyone but he won't call Ayers a jihadist. This guy is a complete moron and hypocrite.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The last time the Democrats had both houses and presidency ... they didn't accomplish shit because there were too many spineless cowards. Have they sprouted functional ballsacks?