HOWTO: Use Linksys WRT54G as a wireless ethernet bridge

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
Cool, we have two more success stories just today ! Notice that this setup still creates a separate subnet for the client router, but because of the special proxy arp setting, the main router and its attached PCs can communicate with the client router and its attached PCs as if they are on the same network (no special routing required). In fact they can't tell that these PCs are really on a separate subnet.

facemask

May 10, 2005

**EDIT** i reread your original post and have my answers. the only real question i have is...if i use the 3rd party firmware on one of the routers, how would i go about getting the original linksys firmware back on the router?

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: facemask

**EDIT** i reread your original post and have my answers. the only real question i have is...if i use the 3rd party firmware on one of the routers, how would i go about getting the original linksys firmware back on the router?

you can always download the latest version of the linksys firmware from their website, and use it to re-flash the router

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=201

facemask

May 10, 2005
thanks man...i have WRT54G now, im picking up the WRT54GS today and im giving this a shot. have you used this setup for online play with the XBOX and PS2? hopefully this works as well as im expecting!

facemask

May 10, 2005
hmm...maybe you can help me out. i dont have much info though. i follwed your instructions step by step and i cant get connected.

WRT54GS (main router):
IP: 129.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
IP Range: 129.168.1.100-129.168.1.124

WRT54G (client):
Firmware Version: Alchemy-6.0-RC5a v3.01.3.8sv
IP: 192.168.1.129
Subnet: 255.255.255.128
IP Range: 129.168.1.140-129.168.1.149
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server enabled...
it is in Gateway Mode...
wireless mode is client...
wireless network mode is mixed...
SSID is set to the main router's SSID...
WEP settings are verified and correct...

...but the client router is not getting an IP from the main router. any suggestions?

thanks in advance for any help...

im not expecting it matters, but the only thing i changed that wasnt in your steps was the router name and time zone in the basic setup.

mikelish

Apr 26, 2003
in the original post it says this only works with version 2.2 of the wrt54g. mine says it's a v2 on the bottom of the router.

also the original post says to use the firmware version: 6rc5.... there is a new version out now titled "Final" should I get this instead?

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
hmm...maybe you can help me out. i dont have much info though. i follwed your instructions step by step and i cant get connected.

WRT54GS (main router):

WRT54G (client):
DHCP Server enabled...
it is in Gateway Mode...

...but the client router is not getting an IP from the main router. any suggestions?

im not expecting it matters, but the only thing i changed that wasnt in your steps was the router name and time zone in the basic setup.

My suggestions are:

0. Make sure you did step 4a (show below) AND that the DHCP server is enabled on the main router.

>> 4a. In "Setup::Basic setup" screen, set Internet Connection Type to "Auotomatic Configuration - DHCP".

1. Turn off WEP (on both routers) to rule that out as a problem
2. Make sure you also turn off the firewall and enable remote admin (steps 8 and 9)
3. Reboot the client router
4. If you still can't get a connection, then telnet into the client router and type "ifconfig" and "route" and send the output. Also try to do ping 192.168.1.1 from the client router (while you're telneted).

semsoid

Mar 14, 2005

WRT54GS (main router):

WRT54G (client):
DHCP Server enabled...
it is in Gateway Mode...

It can be a typo, but you have put 129.168.x.x in some places and 192.168.x.x in some in your settings. All needs to be an unroutable class, like 192.168.x.x

semsoid

Mar 14, 2005
Originally posted by: mikelish
in the original post it says this only works with version 2.2 of the wrt54g. mine says it's a v2 on the bottom of the router.

also the original post says to use the firmware version: 6rc5.... there is a new version out now titled "Final" should I get this instead?

V2 works fine, as I own a working one. 6rc5 is known to work and that's what I used. Final version should practically work, as I don't think they removed any core functionality. The most important part of the Sveasoft firmware was the Client mode and final version should have it (I didn't check it though, you can flash and see)

facemask

May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: user1234
My suggestions are:

0. Make sure you did step 4a (show below) AND that the DHCP server is enabled on the main router.

>> 4a. In "Setup::Basic setup" screen, set Internet Connection Type to "Auotomatic Configuration - DHCP".

1. Turn off WEP (on both routers) to rule that out as a problem
2. Make sure you also turn off the firewall and enable remote admin (steps 8 and 9)
3. Reboot the client router
4. If you still can't get a connection, then telnet into the client router and type "ifconfig" and "route" and send the output. Also try to do ping 192.168.1.1 from the client router (while you're telneted).

this was done...

this was done...

looks like WEP was part of the prob for me. i couldnt ping the main router. i disabled WEP on both routers and i am able to telnet to the client router and i can ping the main router. at this point, should the client router be able to get an address from the main router? if so, it aint happening.

i then rebooted the client router. as for the router "reboot", i took that to mean you wanted me to power cycle the sucker. i did not hold down RESET. let me know if i got that part wrong. after that, i COULDNT ping the main router anymore.

ok...

EDIT -- i have the router working with WEP disabled...so im moving on from there....

no luck using WEP. both using 128 bit (26 hex) encryption. both pass phrases match....

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
The main thing is that the WEP key (not the passphrase) must be the same on the main router and all its clients. You're only supposed to use the passphrase on one of the routers as a convenient way to generate a key and then copy this key to the other router. Or you can just come up with your own key (without using a passphrase) and use it on both routers.

facemask

May 10, 2005
after i used the same pass phrase to generate the keys...i also verified that the keys were correct and they were. so not sure what the deal is. something is not right though. i had disabled WEP again and was unable to connect to the main router again.

is the version of alchemy i used correct? other than that, all the setup is correct and the WEP settings all match. sad day.

semsoid

Mar 14, 2005
Can you try setting up the system to use Open, instead of Shared Key authentication for WEP. That was the problem when I used DI-624 as my main router.

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
after i used the same pass phrase to generate the keys...i also verified that the keys were correct and they were. so not sure what the deal is. something is not right though. i had disabled WEP again and was unable to connect to the main router again.

is the version of alchemy i used correct? other than that, all the setup is correct and the WEP settings all match. sad day.

didn't you say before that you got it working properly without WEP ? so now it doesn't work even without WEP ?

btw, when I say to reboot your router, I mean to just restart it but not reset it because this will clear all the sttings stored in the NV (non volatile) RAM. To reboot the router you can indeed just disconnect it, or telnet and issue the command "reboot".

facemask

May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: semsoid
Can you try setting up the system to use Open, instead of Shared Key authentication for WEP. That was the problem when I used DI-624 as my main router.

thanks, i will try that when i get home. btw, what exactly is "shared" and "open"?

facemask

May 10, 2005
didn't you say before that you got it working properly without WEP ? so now it doesn't work even without WEP ?

btw, when I say to reboot your router, I mean to just restart it but not reset it because this will clear all the sttings stored in the NV (non volatile) RAM. To reboot the router you can indeed just disconnect it, or telnet and issue the command "reboot".

didnt know you could reboot from the cmd line...thx. and yes, it was working before. thats when i figured i could go ahead with the WEP setup, tried that, but it didnt work. tried to go back to no WEP and it wouldnt work anymore. i rebooted it and still couldnt get a connection...then i had to go to work.

i will mess with this some more as soon as i get home. thanks again for the help.

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004

didnt know you could reboot from the cmd line...thx. and yes, it was working before. thats when i figured i could go ahead with the WEP setup, tried that, but it didnt work. tried to go back to no WEP and it wouldnt work anymore. i rebooted it and still couldnt get a connection...then i had to go to work.

Did you remember to disable WEP on both routers right ?

i will mess with this some more as soon as i get home. thanks again for the help.

btw, some routers like my D-Link DI-624 (that what me and semsoid have in common), allow you to reboot them using their HTML interface, which is useful sometimes when things get messed up. Not sure why Linksys doesn't have that option, but then again the DI-624 has one of the best interfaces (better than Linksys and Netgear routers)

facemask

May 10, 2005
Did you remember to disable WEP on both routers right ?
yes, if i disabled/enabled WEP on one, i'd do the same for the other. i just walked in and im going to try this again...even though i should be doing things like going through bills or refinancing my mortgae.

ill post where im at in just a bit...

facemask

May 10, 2005
well...i went through the menus on both routers verifying all the settings and hitting save again just for the heck of it.i couldnt find the OPEN key setting, but i know i have seen it before. i found SHARED key in Wireless::Advanced Wirless...but the only options were SHARED or AUTO. i selected AUTO on both. is the OPEN option suppossed to be here? the client router is being assinged an IP and i can ping the AP and internet domains from the client router...but the laptop connect to this client can not. so thats where im at...

facemask

May 10, 2005
hold the phones!! its working! thanks for the help guys...im gonna move it downstairs now and test it out for real.

semsoid

Mar 14, 2005
Well, some routers put both Open and Shared Key and some, like Linksys, says Auto and Shared Key. In Auto, it will try Open first, then try Shared Key if I am not mistaken.

user1234

Banned
Jul 11, 2004
hold the phones!! its working! thanks for the help guys...im gonna move it downstairs now and test it out for real.

congrats!!! now you will finally have time for to the real fun stuff like paying bills etc........j/k

facemask

May 10, 2005
thanks again for the help guys. didnt have time for bills...was playing Halo and Madden all night without a 50-ft cat5 connected to my router upstairs to the consoles down stairs...awesome!

facemask

May 10, 2005
just out of curiosity....how long has linksys had their code open source? who had the first 3rd party firmware available for this? just wondering how far behind in the times i am :)

is sveasoft the first and/or only 3rd party firmware for this? is using the router as a bridge/client not possible any other way?