How would you deal with the debt?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The deficit is 1.1 trillion.

GDP is $15,585.6 billion. Dividends as % of gdp is 4.8 %. -10% = 673.29792 billion

Thats a nice chunk out of the deficit.

My guess is lobbyists would be more concerned with the government not running a deficit, getting into expensive wars for dubious reasons and other foolishness.

Last edited:

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

GDP is $15,585.6 billion. Dividends as % of gdp is 4.8 %. -10% = 673.29792 billion

My guess is lobbyists would be more concerned with the government not running a deficit, getting into expensive wars for dubious reasons and other foolishness.

You know dividends are how many retired people support themselves, right? Good luck winning an election on taxing lower class retired people 10% of their income. Lol liberals, always trying to find new ways to screw over the poor.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Raise taxes on everyone proportionate to the deficit in % of GDP. When the deficit is 2% GDP the tax rate increases 10%. When the Surplus is greater than 10% GDP the tax rate is lowered 10% with a linear curve. Exempt people making less than 100k a year.

Raise taxes on dividends directly proportionate to the deficit. When there is a deficit greater than 2% gdp the rate goes to 90%. When there is a surplus greater than 10% gdp it would go to 20% with a linear curve. Exempt Retirement accounts.

Give a 10% tax credit to all businesses manufacturing in the continental US. *

Give an additional 10% tax credit to all businesses involved in green energy, aerospace, transportation, medical machinery and integrated circuit manufacturing.

End farm subsidies.

Give farms a 10% tax credit

Exempt farms from estate tax when transferred to a blood relative upon death.

Legalize marijuana, tax it and export it. I know for a fact the best weed in the world is grown in California.

End oil subsidies, require all fuel oil products pumped from federal land to be used for domestic use only.

Close all the loop holes.

End all federal monetary foreign aid.

Allow medicare to collectively bargaining for drugs.

Cut the salary of senators and congressmen in half, they have performed like shit for quite a while now, and their approval rating reflects it. So should their pay.

Federally fund the fastest rail system in the world to link every major city on the east and west coasts, and eventually coast to coast, but only building routes that are projected to be guaranteed self sustaining and repaying the federal government once operational using fares

If you read my post you would see I exempt retirement accounts. I just havent found what % of dividends are retirement accounts so I cannot factor that in the math yet.

The idea is to situate ourselves to benefit from free trade rather than be harmed by it, stabilize production domestically and export. Also it forces a balanced budget, no political games required or tolerated, it is what it is and the tax rates will only even out when a surplus is reached.

Because the people harmed are those with the greatest political voice, they will make sure things don't get as out of control as they are now... Which was caused by free trade without any care for representation for the workers effected and by waging 2 wars while cutting taxes.

Last edited:

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Balance of tax cuts and entitlement benefits cuts over the long term. Tax hikes tied to GDP, so when the economy is growing we are paying down the defect.

Literally off the top of my head but thats the best I got