How to tell when non-homogenized milk has gone bad?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
You do know that raw milk was one of the leading causes of infant deaths prior to pasteurization becoming mandatory in the late 1800s. That's why it's illegal. Would you honestly drink from something that's been dragging it's tits through manure? You're playing craps with your health buddy. :eek:

pasteurization is just heating. You can also buy lactose free milk, cheese, and yogurt now.

Short answer, raw milk has many health benefits that are lost through pasteurization. Milk was pasteurized because that was the only way to control germs possibly present in milk. With today's understanding of germ theory, sanitation and biology, there are other ways to combat the spreading of diseases through milk. Strictly speaking, pasteurization is not necessary when strict hygiene is practiced but continues to be done as a safety measure. Dairy farmers actually care about the health of their cows and milk and don't let the teats become contaminated.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007

From that article:

... some organizations say that raw milk can be produced hygienically, and that it has health benefits that are destroyed in the pasteurization process. This latter statement is not supported by all research. [this should really read "not supported by ANY research]
...it also kills off "good" bacteria that raw milk supporters claim to have health benefits.[27] The United States Food and Drug administration claims that this is false, and that pasteurizing milk does not destroy any of its nutritive value.

And in a related article:
A 2006 systematic review of infections associated with raw milk contends that pasteurized milk is substantially safer than raw milk, and comparably nutritious to raw milk, therefore there is no scientific reason for choosing raw milk products
Advocates of drinking raw milk claim raw milk contains desirable substances, such as enzymes, that cannot survive the heating process and may be destroyed during pasteurization; specifically, immunoglobulins and the enzymes lipase and phosphatase, which are inactivated by heat, are believed to be beneficial.[citation needed] In contrast, food scientists and FDA officials assert that most "beneficial" enzymes survive pasteurization but that humans do not use animal enzymes to metabolize nutrients.[22]
Raw milk contains vitamin B6, but the heat treatment may cause as much as 20% of the vitamin to be lost.[18][unreliable source] Pasteurization does cause the loss of several vitamins, but only approximately 0-10%.[22] Raw milk contains very little vitamin D, which is added to processed milk.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
I want to add that people should be free to drink whatever the fuck they want. I can understand people's preference for raw milk - I've never had it, but everyone I know who has prefers it immensely. But the health claims, as usual, are completely bogus.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Promoting "raw milk" over "pasteurized milk" because of the vitamin/health benefits completely ignores the fact that anyone who has access to raw milk can also get properly (read: slow) pasteurized milk that has all of the safety benefits of quick-pasteurization with all the health benefits of raw milk.

In other words, raw milk is in absolutely no way better than slow-pasteurized milk.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
If raw milk isn't better then why are people willing to spend so much more on it. I pay $15 an gallon for it.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010

There are two themes in those "references" (more like blog posts): the killing of healthy bacteria and the destruction of useful enzymes in the milk. The bacteria is certainly true, although there is certainly some still remaining even in pasteurized milk, hence why pasteurized milk will eventually spoil. Al you're really changing, then, is the relative rate of spoilage, not the presence or absence of the bacteria. Besides, if you really want those bacteria, eat some yogurt once a week. It's a far more reliable source.

As for the enzymes, most of them will survive the process, but it doesn't matter anyway. You don't use cow enzymes! Your body will simply digest them like the rest of the proteins in milk, and you don't gain any added benefit by their presence. It might, however, be an argument against pasteurizing human breast milk. :awe:

Short answer, raw milk has many health benefits that are lost through pasteurization. Milk was pasteurized because that was the only way to control germs possibly present in milk. With today's understanding of germ theory, sanitation and biology, there are other ways to combat the spreading of diseases through milk. Strictly speaking, pasteurization is not necessary when strict hygiene is practiced but continues to be done as a safety measure. Dairy farmers actually care about the health of their cows and milk and don't let the teats become contaminated.

This is only partially true. Raw milk today is far safer than it was in the days before pasteurization, and the odds of you getting sick from it are quite small (though I might avoid giving it to small children). The truth is that as a fraction of consumers, there are still more infections due to small farm-produced raw milk than from factory farm-produced pasteurized milk.

Last edited:

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Health nuts that believe everything they read on the internet (the more against common sense the more believable it is to them) = height of insanity.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Also there is Ultra Pasteurized milk, like the ones they sell at Costco. It has a shelf life of like 2 months. That shit isn't natural, milk shouldn't be able to last for 2 months.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Epic fail. The reason milk has such enzymes is because the immune and gastrointestinal systems of infants are not fully functional, so they need help digesting food and destroying bacteria. We have a perfectly functional immune system, and our GI tract produces proteases, lipases, and amylases constantly. Given this, as well as the highly acidic nature of the stomach, it is highly questionable whether any of those enzymes even make it into the small intestine to be absorbed, let alone the question of what they do when they get there. Remember, the reason that proteins have to be hydrolysed to amino acids is because proteins can't be absorbed in their macromolecular state - they're just too big. They don't have any reasonable method of action, because our own immune systems do the job just as well. So in adults, they just get digested by our own proteases and absorbed...as amino acids.

Also there is Ultra Pasteurized milk, like the ones they sell at Costco. It has a shelf life of like 2 months. That shit isn't natural, milk shouldn't be able to last for 2 months.
Naturalistic Fallacy.

If raw milk isn't better then why are people willing to spend so much more on it. I pay $15 an gallon for it.
Appeal to Wealth.

Click these links to learn some of the facts.
Appeal to authority.

The milk I buy is also raw. So I wouldn't want to drink it if it has spoiled. It is known that pasteurization and homogenization destroys milk and turns it toxic. You pollute your body when you drink regular pasteurized and homogenized milk.
Insufficient information.

You know lactose intolerance is due to drinking pasteurized milk. People who are lactose intolerant can drink raw milk with no problems.
Cum Hoc fallacy.

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
OP, please. Smell, followed by taste. Just tasting milk that has gone bad won't hurt you.

Also, OP, I love raw milk. Up until a couple of years ago, I could get it 10 minutes away from some Mennonites. Due to strict regulation, the raw milk anyone can purchase is the healthiest milk you can get, since the cows have to past VERY HIGH LEVELS of hygiene.

Sans that, I prefer at least to get unhomogenized milk. The less processing the better. I can still get that from the Nazi milk fraulien 15 minutes away. The cows are right there. They don't pump them with any hormones, and the milk came out that day (or the day before.) Freshness counts, too.

However, your claim that pasteurized milk is toxic is bunk.

How old are you?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

They've had this shite in Europe for years and years. In many cases, you don't even have to refrigerate it. My main gripe about it is that it truly tastes like ass. For the life of me, I have to believe that there's no one alive who would't notice that it doesn't taste like milk! D: