How to tell when non-homogenized milk has gone bad?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Since you usually can tell milk has gone bad when it has chunks in it, this method doesn't work with non-homogenized milk. Non-Homogenized milk already has some chunks of cream floating in it. I assume the taste method works, but I rather not taste sour milk.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Use your nose?
Man, these are Skim Milk/fritolays level questions. (Ones everyone but the OP knows)

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Please just drink it.

The milk I buy is also raw. So I wouldn't want to drink it if it has spoiled. It is known that pasteurization and homogenization destroys milk and turns it toxic. You pollute your body when you drink regular pasteurized and homogenized milk.

Oct 25, 2006
The milk I buy is also raw. So I wouldn't want to drink it if it has spoiled. It is known that pasteurization and homogenization destroys milk and turns it toxic. You pollute your body when you drink regular pasteurized and homogenized milk.

I wish I could hate you to death.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
???

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
WTF, how hard is this? Just smell or taste it. I also drink raw unpasteurized milk and you dont need a PhD to decide when it is unsafe for consumption.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
The source of fat coagulation in the two types of milk is different. In non-homogenized milk, the particles of fat have nucleated to a large enough size that they will clump together, despite the presence of surfactant (casein). In soured homogenized milk, the reduced pH caused by the bacteria digesting lactose protonates the anions in the casein, ruining their surfactant capabilities. As an example, a little bit of lemon juice or vinegar will cause milk to similarly coagulate. So, if you want to be scientific about it, you can check the pH of your milk. Or, you can:

Use your nose?

You know lactose intolerance is due to drinking pasteurized milk. People who are lactose intolerant can drink raw milk with no problems.

So much cause and effect fail here. The lactose intolerance isn't due to drinking pasteurized milk at all. The reason that some people who are mildly lactose intolerant can ingest raw milk is that some of the lactose has already been digested for them by the bacteria present in the milk. That, however, is the equivalent of saying that spoiled milk is better for you.

Edit: I should also note that this is why lactose intolerant people can also eat yogurt. Yogurt is a living culture of lactose-digesting bacteria, which in addition to digesting some of the lactose in the yogurt, also colonize your gut and help with digestion of other milk products.

Last edited:

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007

You know lactose intolerance is due to drinking pasteurized milk. People who are lactose intolerant can drink raw milk with no problems.

8MHGQ.jpg

Wow.....OMG wow. Someone find me a lawn chair.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I never had spoiled milk, so not sure how it would smell. I guess if I ever smelled it, it should be clear it bad. Some terrible rancid smell I assume.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
I never had spoiled milk, so not sure how it would smell. I guess if I ever smelled it, it should be clear it bad. Some terrible rancid smell I assume.

Buy some milk, pop it in a glass, leave it in the sun for four hours. Smell it. Then you'll know. When it smells like that it's off. Problem solved.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

You do know that raw milk was one of the leading causes of infant deaths prior to pasteurization becoming mandatory in the late 1800s. That's why it's illegal. Would you honestly drink from something that's been dragging it's tits through manure? You're playing craps with your health buddy. :eek:

Pasteurization is just heating. You can also buy lactose free milk, cheese, and yogurt now.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
I don't think he knows what homogenisation even is. How the fuck would that be "toxic"?

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Homogenization just makes milk taste not as good. Pasteurization is what makes it toxic.

Please explain how heating the milk to kill the bacteria and give it a long shelf life makes it toxic. Thanks.

edit: Please also explain how millions of people worldwide consume this "toxic" product daily, yet people aren't exactly dying in droves from it.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Please explain how heating the milk to kill the bacteria and give it a long shelf life makes it toxic. Thanks.

edit: Please also explain how millions of people worldwide consume this "toxic" product daily, yet people aren't exactly dying in droves from it.

The paranoia is that pasteurizing milk denatures some of the proteins, which then somehow do bad things to you. Note that this is not even remotely proven, and doesn't even pass the plausible test. If that was a problem, then using milk in baked goods, or likely cooking meat would cause similar issues, which no one seems to argue.

The only thing you can argue is that pasteurization causes some breakdown of vitamins, but likely far less than, say, light that comes into those clear glass bottles that raw milk is sold in.

There isn't anything wrong with drinking raw milk if you prefer it. It has a different taste and texture that many like, but there are few proven health benefits of raw milk, and far more risks.