How to stop cat from puking on my bed?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My cat has always loved puking. She'll do it everywhere and make sure the entire house is covered with it. Lately she decided to push the envelope, now she does it in my bed too. 3rd time now in less than a month. What sucks is my washer cannot fit the blankets so I end up having to bring it to my parent's house to get them cleaned and it's just a huge pain in the ass.

Is there anything I can do to stop her? Some kind of spray with a smell she wont like or something? Sadly I will have to stop her from sleeping with me, if she's going to make this a habit.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Is your cat important to you? I mean, do you love her or do you not care about her that much as a pet. Serious question. I know plenty of pet owners that just have a dog or cat because their neighbor had a litter or something.

Anyway, maybe this is a good problem to have because your cat (or any pet) shouldn't be sleeping in your bed to begin with. Have the cat sleep outside or outside your room and problem solved.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You could try and figure out why she's puking? Just a guess, but it's probably not healthy.

Otherwise, the only thing you can do is to not let her in there.

Anyway, maybe this is a good problem to have because your cat (or any pet) shouldn't be sleeping in your bed to begin with. Have the cat sleep outside or outside your room and problem solved.

Why is that?

I would agree if we were talking about a dog, but we're not, so... :p

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We had a bulimic cat. Fucker would eat...gorge himself on kibble...then walk down the hall and puke it up somewhere.
Vet said there was nothing wrong with him physically...and that my wife should try the canned food. Prick never puked that up...so he got fed Friskies every day instead of the cheaper kibble.
We had to have him put down at age 13. (for reasons totally unrelated)

abi.jpg

aap.sized.jpg

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
You could try and figure out why she's puking? Just a guess, but it's probably not healthy.

This. My cats puke when they eat too fast but that's far from a regular occurrence--maybe once every three weeks at most.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
We had a bulimic cat. Fucker would eat...gorge himself on kibble...then walk down the hall and puke it up somewhere.
Vet said there was nothing wrong with him physically...and that my wife should try the canned food. Prick never puked that up...so he got fed Friskies every day instead of the cheaper kibble.
We had to have him put down at age 13. (for reasons totally unrelated)

abi.jpg

aap.sized.jpg

Sounds like the fucker wasn't bulimic, he was a manipulative dick who knew how to get the good stuff.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sounds like the fucker wasn't bulimic, he was a manipulative dick who knew how to get the good stuff.

Turned out that way...but it took several months before the benefits kicked in...

I got so fucking tired of stepping in a pile of cat puke in the dark...

stomp, stomp, stomp, squish, ah, fuck...I'm a kill you cat...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
:hmm: is this what the "for reasons totally unrelated" above is referring too? I won't judge, I'm a cat hater. :twisted:

Nah...Like a fool, I endured that for many years.

I like cats...in fact, I like them so much, I'll swerve across a 4 lane highway to run one over...:whiste:

OK, not really...:rolleyes:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
When I talked to the vet about it they said it's normal. I reduced her food and now she only pukes once or twice a week instead of multiple times a day, but when she does it, it's in the fucking bed. I try to keep her out of there but it only takes one time to forget to close the door and I get hit.

I care about the cat, so I don't want to get rid of her, but when she does this crap, it does really piss me off. In the same way a parent is pissed when their kid does something bad.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008

It is a cat and they are all like that yet they are able to do it to humans as clearly we are the weaker species.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I'd go back to the vet, or try a different one. Is it all undigested food, bile, hairballs? She might need a special diet, or switch to wet food like Boomer's cat...I'm sure the cost will be worth your sanity.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd try switching food. My cats will eat stuff they like really fast, and then puke it up. I give them food they don't like as much :^D

Cyco

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
I'd get rid of the cat, but then again I wouldn't have it in the first place. Hope you find something that works.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
There's an easy way to stop this.

1. Remove cat from bedroom.
2. Close door.
3. Don't need to drive all over town to do laundry.
4. Profit.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I may try the vet again. She's already on special vet food, but maybe she does need something better.

I'm also wondering if she's eating bugs or something. While the basement is fairly bug free now that I cleaned things up (it was bad when I first moved in, lot of spiders) I'm sure there is the occasional bug here and there that might come upstairs.

As for the puke, it varies, but often it's undigested food or just partially digested. Usually a full puking session will involve several large (6" x 3" long or so) undigested food areas, a bunch of bile all over, and occasionally very well digested food. It will be look kinda like pourage. That stuff eats right through paint, too. She occasionally does it right on the window sill of the bay window.

Last edited:

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I agree, try switching foods. Slowly though, or you may make the problem worse... lol

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I may try the vet again. She's already on special vet food, but maybe she does need something better.

I'm also wondering if she's eating bugs or something. While the basement is fairly bug free now that I cleaned things up (it was bad when I first moved in, lot of spiders) I'm sure there is the occasional bug here and there that might come upstairs.

As for the puke, it varies, but often it's undigested food or just partially digested. Usually a full puking session will involve several large (6" x 3" long or so) undigested food areas, a bunch of bile all over, and occasionally very well digested food. It will be look kinda like pourage. That stuff eats right through paint, too. She occasionally does it right on the window sill of the bay window.

Stomach acid is...well, you know, acidic...

Try switching to canned food. Offer it instead of the kibble.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hairballing. Leave some butter out so she can lick it occasionally or shave that hairy beast.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Just make sure the cat is healthy. Perhaps try some hairball treatment/treats if that is the issue?

Barring that, get a dog that enjoys sleeping at the foot of the bed.